CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My friend messaged me from an estate sale yesterday. He found a 32 inch sony kv-32fs320 with component inputs. I did a little research on it and it seemed worth scooping. These fuckers are 160+ lbs, and I figured the estate sale people just wanted it gone. So I told my friend to offer 50 bucks, though I would pay a little more. Some idiot on reddit paid 500 bucks for one a couple years ago, so I just prayed that the estate sale folks wouldn't find that thread and think it was worth a ton of money. Anyway, he got it for me for 60 with the stand, and the other piece of the stand glass is still in my car and should go on fine.

Rav4 and Blast City for scale.

I hooked up a SNES with SCART to Component (key digital transcoder) and it looks really nice. Scanlines and all. The geometry needs a little help, namely the upper left corner (which is converged fine but sagging a little) and it could use the brightness/contrast turned down a little, but overall I'm glad I scooped.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Congrats!
27” is as big as I’ll go nowadays. That’s the biggest I can move my self. Had a 36” Trinitron and don’t miss the weight.
Also seems like SMW is everyone’s favorite to show a new TV off with.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Thanks dogg!

I feel that... This is the only CRT over 27 inch that I own, and it definitely took a strong neighbor to help me move it inside. I swear it gained 50lbs on the drive home lol. The rest I can move myself if I have to.

For shmups I really prefer 20 to 25 inch, but for yoko retrogaming of other genres, this guy will be fun.

My SNES was just the closest console that I had a SCART cable handy for. But, I do like testing with SMW if I don't have a 240P test suite handy, because it boots with the nice solid red and green (and light blue) letters on the title screen, and the map has the straight black border around it.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
That Sony Model isn't really anything special tbh.

Never underestimate CRT Reddit subgroup. Someone made a thread saying they paid 300-500 on a 27FS100 which is the most common wega ever and wanted to know if it was a good deal.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
That Sony Model isn't really anything special tbh.

Never underestimate CRT Reddit subgroup. Someone made a thread saying they paid 300-500 on a 27FS100 which is the most common wega ever and wanted to know if it was a good deal.
I know it's not grail tier or anything, but 240P component looks damn good. Also my understanding is it's an SD only model which makes it better for 240p/480i content than HD CRTs. Also, I gave away all my consumer tubes when I was moving a couple years ago, so getting one back was kinda nice.

Reddit and eBay prices are mega LOL. Not counting cabs / candies, the most I've spent on a CRT is probably 100 bucks. I got my PVM 20M2MDU for like 50 dollars back in the day.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Congrats!
27” is as big as I’ll go nowadays. That’s the biggest I can move my self. Had a 36” Trinitron and don’t miss the weight.
Also seems like SMW is everyone’s favorite to show a new TV off with.
Very big ones are fine as long as you have permanent home for them where they won't need to be moved for a very long time

Naika

Street Hoop Star
My friend messaged me from an estate sale yesterday. He found a 32 inch sony kv-32fs320 with component inputs. I did a little research on it and it seemed worth scooping. These fuckers are 160+ lbs, and I figured the estate sale people just wanted it gone. So I told my friend to offer 50 bucks, though I would pay a little more. Some idiot on reddit paid 500 bucks for one a couple years ago, so I just prayed that the estate sale folks wouldn't find that thread and think it was worth a ton of money. Anyway, he got it for me for 60 with the stand, and the other piece of the stand glass is still in my car and should go on fine.

I hooked up a SNES with SCART to Component (key digital transcoder) and it looks really nice. Scanlines and all. The geometry needs a little help, namely the upper left corner (which is converged fine but sagging a little) and it could use the brightness/contrast turned down a little, but overall I'm glad I scooped.

That is THE EXACT model I have for my CRT. Congrats!!!

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Does anyone know why my h-frequency setting doesn't get saved after turning off my pvm? Everytime I turn it on I have to adjust the screen horizontally in the menu, is there a way to save my setting?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Does anyone know why my h-frequency setting doesn't get saved after turning off my pvm? Everytime I turn it on I have to adjust the screen horizontally in the menu, is there a way to save my setting?
Yea, you have to press something 2x to save before exiting the service menu. Degauss I think? It's in the 20M2MDU manual.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I did it... Had to do it.... Got rid of my Sony Wega. Too big to move every time.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Did this local pickup, forgot to write about it in the Fetish thread... an old arcade operator that used to assemble gambling machines called me 'cause he was closing the business for good (huge warehouse, too bad he got rid of all pinball machines and videogames ages ago, before I knew him). Since he switched from CRT to LCD for his poker machines, he ended up with many Hantarex 17" 15khz monitors that he never used, some literally new in the box. 17" is a strange size, smaller than most videogame cabs, but for me it was either taking them or let them go to the dumpster... I couldn't do that. So now I have ten brand new Hantarex Polo and Monitor (another italian brand with ties to Hantarex) CRTs in my basement, and I have no idea what to do with them. Maybe sticking them in a crude wooden box and turning them into gaming monitors? I don't know if it's been done before, it's usually the other way around - using consumer TVs to replace arcade monitors...

KJ45H4d.jpg

Jfaooac.jpg

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Damn, I would be busy in my shop making various cabinets; Neo, Capcom, Tate…
You're right, they're barely small enough for bartops... wish I knew someone with that hobby, but I'd never ship a CRT (even with the best packaging ever, couriers would manage to destroy them in the most sadistic way possible). 😞

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’ve sent and received crts safely, using a really caveman method. Put the tube in a contractor bag, spray foam it into a double walled box, voila.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
That’s basically what we used to do with big valves but we had a foam machine. Knowing half the battle…
I've heard about the foam for shipping CRTs... sounds like a good method, but quite expensive (unless you have a foam machine at your job, yep)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Had to leave my PVM with my parents back in Canada. Ain't no way that think is getting shipped to Europe.

I picked up a Retrotink 2X and it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. Maybe they've been doing all their retro gaming on flatscreens the past decade.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If it's the regular 2x it's just a basic line doubler, don't expect miracles out of it. Also if you aren't using component it's gonna look bad no matter what scaler is used since none of the gaming based scalers can process composite or svideo worth a damn.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

You owe us updates on this!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
You owe us updates on this!
This one is far down the backlog. Moving it was fun though. When I first got it home my neighbor and I moved it onto my main floor, and there was no way I was asking them to help me move it down a set of stairs. So it sat by the blast city for a minute until I had some local movers come by, take it down to my basement, and also swap some of our furniture between floors (I value my back and I don't expect my friends to lift heavy shit for beer. I just pay people if I have to).

Anyway it's in my basement but not hidden away, I have a nice area down there to finish up with a couple couches, coffee table, this CRT, and a 27" NEC tube for point blank (When I fix one of my fucking playstation 1's anyway lol).