Anyone still use the Cyber Gadget Retro Freak?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm really wanting an all-in-one type of solution to save space. I have a Mister and it's cool, but I'd like to slap some carts in once in awhile.

Anyone still use theirs? Is it getting an updates? Long term reviews?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I loved mine and used it extensively until i sold it, regrettably. I really liked the save states since sometimes i just don't have time to play through an entire platformer in one shot anymore.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I loved mine and used it extensively until i sold it, regrettably. I really liked the save states since sometimes i just don't have time to play through an entire platformer in one shot anymore.
I feel like I remember you having it, didn't we talk about PC Engine CD support or something?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I believe we did, and it didn't have that built in, only Hucard support. I honestly don't remember why i sold it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have one (somewhere) but I really didn't use it for very long. It's not a bad device, and the emulation is better than most, but the lack of options ultimately had me go back to the Raspberry Pi and then the FPGA solutions later. The main thing I got it for was so I could play SNES on the HDTV without a scaler, and it played them fine but it wouldn't write the save back to the original cart. It's really more of a cartridge dumper than a system that plays carts in real time. If you're industrious you could use a Retrode with your Mister and do the same thing.

On the plus side, the best thing about the device was the controller converter it came with. The included SNES clone controller was ass, but the converter to use real SNES, Genesis, or PCE pads was awesome.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I have one (somewhere) but I really didn't use it for very long. It's not a bad device, and the emulation is better than most, but the lack of options ultimately had me go back to the Raspberry Pi and then the FPGA solutions later. The main thing I got it for was so I could play SNES on the HDTV without a scaler, and it played them fine but it wouldn't write the save back to the original cart. It's really more of a cartridge dumper than a system that plays carts in real time. If you're industrious you could use a Retrode with your Mister and do the same thing.

On the plus side, the best thing about the device was the controller converter it came with. The included SNES clone controller was ass, but the converter to use real SNES, Genesis, or PCE pads was awesome.
I wish there was a build of RetroPie that supported Retrode and a USB CD-ROM.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Hardware wise, this is the exact same thing as the Retron 5, right? Only the software saves the ROM dump instead of deleting it every time?

I picked up a Retron 5 years ago back when they were first released, and this came out just a few months after. I kept up with the software updates and scene drama surrounding it for a while but eventually lost interest. Using original controllers was awesome (especially a Genesis pad on SNES fighters) and having an auto loading savestate everytime you changed carts was extremely handy, but I eventually went back to any of the other 500 ways to emulate.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Hardware wise, this is the exact same thing as the Retron 5, right? Only the software saves the ROM dump instead of deleting it every time?

I picked up a Retron 5 years ago back when they were first released, and this came out just a few months after. I kept up with the software updates and scene drama surrounding it for a while but eventually lost interest. Using original controllers was awesome (especially a Genesis pad on SNES fighters) and having an auto loading savestate everytime you changed carts was extremely handy, but I eventually went back to any of the other 500 ways to emulate.
I think the fact that there is no really quality solution outside of Analogue in terms of using OG carts, I'd probably end up in the same boat. So frustrating.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Kind of. If i remember correctly, the retron would dump games but was able to save into the cartridge again, however the cartridge was needed for game start up. Likewise, you could load an SD card full of games with the Retro Freak and just play them like a massive everdrive, but that defeats the novelty of using your own carts.

I remember i had to spend a year in El Paso and decided on the Retro Freak as my game console for that time period. The actual base unit is a small device, and the cartridge adapters can slide off to make more space. I just brought that and was good to go