Matrimelee; I will die on this hill...best Neo Geo game ever!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

yes I know I am wrong but I'll still fight my position

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Picking hills to die on seems to be a popular click bait technique these days.

Clickbait? More like ragebait.

This is worse than saying that IGS game was better animated than 3rd Strike.

Bacon guy, you're really pushing our buttons these days. Is this the Madonna fucks a black Jesus stage for you?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Picking hills to die on seems to be a popular click bait technique these days.

When can we look forward to your “Why I’m [not really] Leaving YouTube.” video?
its not my fault Matrimelee is so damn weird and fun

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member

yes I know I am wrong but I'll still fight my position

I often agree with you on your game taste, but not today. This is not a noteworthy game IMHO. The music is terrible. Gameplay is basic. Graphics are just ok. That's about it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I often agree with you on your game taste, but not today. This is not a noteworthy game IMHO. The music is terrible. Gameplay is basic. Graphics are just ok. That's about it.
The music is terrible!? Now that’s just crazy talk

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It could be labeled a guilty pleasure game, but I don’t think Matrimelee quite has the polish needed to be considered the best Neo Geo game. It doesn’t do anything more impressive or better than Garou Mark of the Wolves from 4 years earlier. There’s more characters in Matrimelee for sure, but more isn’t always better.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It could be labeled a guilty pleasure game, but I don’t think Matrimelee quite has the polish needed to be considered the best Neo Geo game. It doesn’t do anything more impressive or better than Garou Mark of the Wolves from 4 years earlier. There’s more characters in Matrimelee for sure, but more isn’t always better.
LOL I think people missed where I said “I know I am wrong but”

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
LOL I think people missed where I said “I know I am wrong but”
You’re still making a case for it being the best neo geo game, whether you try to preemptively cancel counter arguments or not.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not even the best Mexican-made, post-SNK Neo fighting game. You do you though, homie. No accounting for taste.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
This was neat and unexpected when it came out 20 years ago on the neogeo, but like Rage of the Dragons, its all style and the substance and staying power is lacking. Not only that, but the style relies on comedy and anime tropes to be interesting, kind of like Waku Waku 7. The game is so self consciously goofy and plays itself off as a quirky gag game, and as a result, its the kind of thing that is neat at first along the lines of "hey look, I'm playing as a dog, or an old man with a cane, how quirky and unusual", but like playing as Bonus Kun in Waku Waku 7, you grow out of the novelty quickly and find the rest of the game just hits shallow. Lots of flash and pizzazz like ROTD, but I got sick of it after playing it for a short period of time. Nowhere near the staying power, style or gameplay of real neo all time classics like Garou or Last Blade 2.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I knew this was a bacon thread just by the title...

Matrimelee is alright, fun for a few rounds every now and again and a nice break from the other fighters of the time. It's a broken ass hot mess though but at least it's not as lazy as ROTD.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Matrimele is a personal favorite neo fighter I only played this at the Arcades because I didn't have a Neo when it first came out. Your all going to hate me more for saying this wish the Dreamcast got this game back then along with Rage of the Dragons.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I will give Matrimelee this though, it has the best name of any fighting game on the Neo Geo.

Garou Mark of the Wolves has furry vibes about it. Honestly I think it could have used a better name. Not bothering to change Garou to Fatal Fury also feels lazy, like they couldn’t be bothered to fully localize it for western markets.

(I am also a sucker for the Matrimelee cover art, contender for best on the system, just so clean and well drawn, but not overwhelming. Also no bizarre colors like MOTW)

1653063452322.jpeg

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I will give Matrimelee this though, it has the best name of any fighting game on the Neo Geo.
I am also a sucker for a good portmanteau. One of my favorites is this forum's very own HornheaDD which evokes "horny diarrhea."

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I knew this was a bacon thread just by the title...

Matrimelee is alright, fun for a few rounds every now and again and a nice break from the other fighters of the time. It's a broken ass hot mess though but at least it's not as lazy as ROTD.
At least people know what I like LOL

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Not bothering to change Garou to Fatal Fury also feels lazy, like they couldn’t be bothered to fully localize it for western markets.

They did change it for the US dreamcast port. It wasn't just the packaging either, they changed in-game graphics that previously said Garou to Fatal Fury. Didn't change the fact that most people still called it Garou when discussing it casually online though lol

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive played it like 3 times, isn't it just a carbon copy of Rage of the Dragons, and isnt Bimmy/Jimmy in it too?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Plays on the same engine and re-uses a few of the "original" characters from RotD.