OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Every time Janeway speaks, I think it's so weird that they never show her chain smoking Pall-Malls or chugging Levant Highlands Black Peak whiskey. And yet, clearly from her voice, you can tell she does both of these things continuously from the time she awakes until the point she passes out each night.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Strange New World's pilot episode is available in full on teh Youtubes.

Episode 2 yesterday was also fantastic. It's how Discovery should have been from the get go. Neat sci-fi stories, great characters, great dialogue, fantastic sets that have just the right amount of homage to TOS while being modern, the right balance of action versus quieter cerebral plot moments, no fucking blue and orange lighting plastered everywhere. Fucking nailed it.

Anson Mount as Pike is officially now one of my favorite ST captains of all time.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Episode 2 yesterday was also fantastic. It's how Discovery should have been from the get go. Neat sci-fi stories, great characters, great dialogue, fantastic sets that have just the right amount of homage to TOS while being modern, the right balance of action versus quieter cerebral plot moments, no fucking blue and orange lighting plastered everywhere. Fucking nailed it.

Anson Mount as Pike is officially now one of my favorite ST captains of all time.
Give it time

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Agreed.

Anson Mount’s Pike is just excellent.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Give it time
It'll be fine. The entire feel, look, and vibe of the show is totally different from other nuTrek for the better.

I'm sure we're get a stinker here and there, as with any show.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Any of you psychos watched Star Trek: Prodigy?

Watched one ep and just haven't been interested enough to return to it. Lower Decks is a proper Trek animated show, and Strange New Worlds has been surprisingly entertaining, at least considering it's only 2 episodes into the series/season.

Believe the haters. Enterprise was garbage. Scott Bakula and I guess I forgot about the Mirror episode Duf mentioned, only because it affected Discovery - but even then, Discovery is buttholes.

Tucker is annoying, TPol needs to eat a fucking sandwich and stop intentionally pursing her lips, there was literally no reason for the Borg to be on earth and also Tucker was annoying.

There is never, ever - EVER reason enough to create a character and cast him as a cowboy that is so damn cuntreh-boah, and a home grown Te-uhcksun, that luhvz his home greeuts and wishes he was back home on the foarhm.' Fuck off with that.

Also the ending that is "Oh'p, Riker left the holodeck running..." was just haphazard, boring, and the only good thing about it is that Tucker gets murdered randomly.

Phlox was ok, I guess.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Watched one ep and just haven't been interested enough to return to it. Lower Decks is a proper Trek animated show, and Strange New Worlds has been surprisingly entertaining, at least considering it's only 2 episodes into the series/season.

Believe the haters. Enterprise was garbage. Scott Bakula and I guess I forgot about the Mirror episode Duf mentioned, only because it affected Discovery - but even then, Discovery is buttholes.

Tucker is annoying, TPol needs to eat a fucking sandwich and stop intentionally pursing her lips, there was literally no reason for the Borg to be on earth and also Tucker was annoying.

There is never, ever - EVER reason enough to create a character and cast him as a cowboy that is so damn cuntreh-boah, and a home grown Te-uhcksun, that luhvz his home greeuts and wishes he was back home on the foarhm.' Fuck off with that.

Also the ending that is "Oh'p, Riker left the holodeck running..." was just haphazard, boring, and the only good thing about it is that Tucker gets murdered randomly.

Phlox was ok, I guess.
Enterprise isn't garbage. It's the last of the old school Star Trek TV series, before it all changed.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Last night I dreamed an alternate version of Data's Day but the A plot was that Riker was O'Brien's best man but was banging Keiko behind his back.The B plot was that Data had to practice his speech for the wedding, but it was a speech about why America was his favorite country. Neelix was there.

Paramount, call me.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Last night I dreamed an alternate version of Data's Day but the A plot was that Riker was O'Brien's best man but was banging Keiko behind his back.The B plot was that Data had to practice his speech for the wedding, but it was a speech about why America was his favorite country. Neelix was there.

Paramount, call me.
Can I suggest that partway through the speech, Data's emotion chip is overloaded and he goes mad and breaks the bridesmaid's necks.
La Forge is later found interfering with the bodies.

Reactions: SML

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Watching City on the Edge of Forever from TOS.

Kirk explaining to a police officer that Spock is Chinese and that his ears are a plastic surgery reconstruction after he fell in to a “mechanical rice picker” as a child is absolutely hilarious.

I think Spock is my favorite Trek character.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watching City on the Edge of Forever from TOS.
The one episode written by legendary science fiction author Harlan Ellison.

On a side note, around the same time, he also wrote an unproduced Batman '66 two-parter that would have featured the tv debut of Two-Face.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The one episode written by legendary science fiction author Harlan Ellison.

On a side note, around the same time, he also wrote an unproduced Batman '66 two-parter that would have featured the tv debut of Two-Face.
Okay, interesting. You're really going to need to go deep on J. Michael Straczynski some time, since I got the impression you don't care for B5, and that show sometimes felt like a playground for Ellison's pet ideas.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Okay, interesting. You're really going to need to go deep on J. Michael Straczynski some time, since I got the impression you don't care for B5, and that show sometimes felt like a playground for Ellison's pet ideas.
I have nothing against the premise of B5. Just the characters, in terms of both acting and dialogue, and the clunky writing (from the episodes I saw) in general. It's very similar to my experience of Voyager, where I tried, I really tried, I wanted to like it, but I ended up having an extremely low tolerance for it.

Also, I didn't mean to imply I was a huge fan of Ellison or something. I like his work, but I've probably read more about Ellison's antics in the real world than I have read his actual writing. I think "legendary" is a fair title, though.

Reactions: SML

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Watched Star Trek V last night.

For all the episodes of TOS about the foolishness of God’s I’m not sure how they bungled this one up so bad. Probably because the Sybok story is lame and then all of the sudden they’re talking to god and two minutes later he’s dead. The Klingons are completely pointless in this film except as a plot point to save the crew.

“What does god need with a Starship?” is still the highlight of the movie. The TOS episode where they defeat Apollo is better than this movie. Oh well. The bits with the crew camping were fun but Star Trek IV was was already an entire movie of goofy shit like that.

I did watch Star Trek III a couple weeks ago and I fell asleep during the middle 30 minutes and I think that one is better than V.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

I found the first episode a little bit of a slog but I know of course they’re laying the groundwork and introducing the characters, but I really liked episode two as well. It’s great to have more episodic Trek back.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s great t have characters who don’t appear to be on the verge of crying or losing s of control and having an emotion nap breakdown.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Watched Star Trek V last night.

For all the episodes of TOS about the foolishness of God’s I’m not sure how they bungled this one up so bad. Probably because the Sybok story is lame and then all of the sudden they’re talking to god and two minutes later he’s dead. The Klingons are completely pointless in this film except as a plot point to save the crew.

“What does god need with a Starship?” is still the highlight of the movie. The TOS episode where they defeat Apollo is better than this movie. Oh well. The bits with the crew camping were fun but Star Trek IV was was already an entire movie of goofy shit like that.

I did watch Star Trek III a couple weeks ago and I fell asleep during the middle 30 minutes and I think that one is better than V.
Three major reasons:

1. William Shatner directing and making way too many production/writing decisions.
2. Writer's strike that was occurring in 1988.
3. ILM was busy working on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, so they had to get another SFX company. They were terrible.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think it was mainly the writing. Just a bad story. Not a bad concept by any means.

Started watching Lower Decks. It’s stupid but cute and not really offensive to me as Trek fan...so far.

Is the doctor on this a Lyran?