Duke Nukem Forever...the 2001 version?!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

as someone who advocates for and when they can find them releases rare unreleased crap...I did NOT see this coming but I am happy it happened

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That Unreal Engine 1 stank really makes me want to install Deus Ex again.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I've played Duke Nukem 3D, but not Forever. Is it as good as 3D?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Half Life 3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever. At some point just stop, no one cares. Duke was a product of his time. They should have never released Forever once it was stuck in Dev hell.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I was giving it some thought today, they should have canceled it if they couldn't release it in full by '02 at the latest. The fact that even this '01 build wasn't anywhere near finished is telling.

I had a bit of a play with it this afternoon and it looked pretty good to me. I would've been all over it back in 2001 so it's a real pity they shelved this to presumably chase the next big thing in graphics. Instead titles like Max Payne, GTA3 and HL2 took center stage at the time. I hope some basement dwellers get together to make a working title out of the source code but also who gives a shit. The soul evaporated a long, long time ago from the Dukes lifeless and crude husk.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
My apologies for quoting your post. :scratch:

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Once Quake 3, Halo, and the glut of WW2 FPS were out would anyone have wanted to play Duke Forever? I dunno.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Probably not, online multiplayer fps like Battlefield, CS, Black Hawk Down etc. Pretty much all we ever played at the time.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I was giving it some thought today, they should have canceled it if they couldn't release it in full by '02 at the latest. The fact that even this '01 build wasn't anywhere near finished is telling.

I had a bit of a play with it this afternoon and it looked pretty good to me. I would've been all over it back in 2001 so it's a real pity they shelved this to presumably chase the next big thing in graphics. Instead titles like Max Payne, GTA3 and HL2 took center stage at the time. I hope some basement dwellers get together to make a working title out of the source code but also who gives a shit. The soul evaporated a long, long time ago from the Dukes lifeless and crude husk.
the problem is "graphics" evolve much quicker than game development...so if you keep changing engines for the next shiny new thing you'll never finish a game...ala DNF

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I actually didn't hate the DNF we got. Of course, I paid 10 bucks for it used. If I had been waiting for several years and then paid full price I might feel differently, but I picked it up way later and thought, "that was aight"