E-shop to close by 2023 for 3DS and Wii-U

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The WiiU shop wasn’t as robust as the Wii shop, I think Earthbound may have been the only game I bought on it. Still there were some good games on there.

The 3DS I have to boot my 3DS for the first time in years just to see what I missed but I may check it out. I remember getting Super Mario Land and having a blast playing that again.

I’ll miss the PS3 shop when that goes, I still buy Japanese PS1 games digitally on that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I really wish I didn't break open my sealed original copy of Super Luigi U in order to get enough Nintendo Points to download Wind Wanker HD (which I've never played) when they ended the Nintendo Points Program.

Now if my Wii U breaks, I won't have anything to show for it except for an unplayed, opened copy of Super Luigi U. Or can I transfer my download copy of Wind Wanker HD to an SD card?

The girls and I play about half an hour of Wii-U every night. It is the most played system in our house.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
And just like that, the last remnants of the Satoru Iwata era of Nintendo has an end date.

Between the constant Wii U ports to the Switch, the decline in newly made games by Nintendo themselves, the increased heavy-handedness of Nintendo’s legal department everywhere online and Nintendo selling just one product line now (Switch), I can’t say I’ve been a fan of the new Nintendo. The courtesy of Nintendo’s halls have lessened a lot as of late.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
And just like that, the last remnants of the Satoru Iwata era of Nintendo has an end date.

Between the constant Wii U ports to the Switch, the decline in newly made games by Nintendo themselves, the increased heavy-handedness of Nintendo’s legal department everywhere online and Nintendo selling just one product line now (Switch), I can’t say I’ve been a fan of the new Nintendo. The courtesy of Nintendo’s halls have lessened a lot as of late.

BOTW was their best game in years.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In the end, I think that the Wii-U will end up being one of the most collectable systems.

Relatively small game list. Relatively small print runs. Lots of quality titles.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and next to nobody is using those shops and doing this allows Nintendo to save a few bucks and move a small handful of people over to the Switch ecosystem but it's yet another reason why it's foolish to give Nintendo any of your money. They make great games but they're a horrible, consumer-hostile company in every other conceivable way and supporting them is like being in an abusive relationship.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and next to nobody is using those shops and doing this allows Nintendo to save a few bucks and move a small handful of people over to the Switch ecosystem but it's yet another reason why it's foolish to give Nintendo any of your money. They make great games but they're a horrible, consumer-hostile company in every other conceivable way and supporting them is like being in an abusive relationship.

At this point I'm just wondering how long until everything is either Microsoft or Steam. I wonder what gimmick Nintendo will come up with next to stay competitive. Sony has problems coming up. They could survive, but I think the landscape will favor the other 2 in the next 5 years as Nintendo/Sony try to remain relevant.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
While I like Nintendo a lot this is one of those times I really wish they'd stop doing this shit. I mean honestly if they're constantly going after ROM sites to get people to stop downloading their games, then they should make it possible to buy them from Nintendo directly. A lot of games on the Wii U eshop will be gone forever once this happens.

I still tell people that the Gameboy Advance Version of Super Mario Bros.3 on the Wii U eshop is a must own. They had added all the E-reader card content to that version of the game so you can finally access all the new levels and content they added. There's a lot of TG-16 titles there also with a large quality list of Gameboy Advance games as well.

The Wii U library like Norton said has a great selection of titles. A lot of them did make it to the Switch but there's still quite a few hold outs that may or may not make it. I play my Wii U a lot of the time so I'm sad Nintendo is once again doing this shit. Also I would suggest if you're going to add physical titles to your Wii U collection that you should grab all the DLC or Updates for all the games you get.

Speaking of Breath of the Wild as one of their best games in years. Mario Kart 8 is still fucking killing it in top game charts after all this time. Fucking crazy...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The WiiU was almost more worthless than the Wii, mainly because it had more potential to be a better system, but all it did get was HDMI.

I hacked my WiiU like 3 or 4 years ago and I havent booted the thing in like 2 years. I ended up taking the 2tb HDD I got for it and using it for standard storage. I think the WiiU USB helper downloader thing stopped working anyway.

The Wii and WiiU were trash with sparse good games (much like the N64). Up until the Switch came out, the last *good system Nintendo made was the Gamecube.

As for the 3DS, there are several good games for it and it's easily hacked so lots of great games can be had/downloaded. But I still traded mine for a Primal Rage PCB :D

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The Wii and WiiU were trash with sparse good games (much like the N64). Up until the Switch came out, the last *good system Nintendo made was the Gamecube.

The Wii helped Nintendo though. We might not like it much but as a "Wii Sports" adapter, it sold a ton and unlike Sony/MS it was pure profit on each unit sold. Pretty crazy.

I personally feel the Switch is the best system they've made since the GameCube, even if just for BOTW and being able to play so many great games (mostly ports) on the road.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Currently there's a Atlus / Sega sale on the eshop.
(list via resetera)

3D After Burner II - $2.99
3D Altered Beast - $2.99
3D Ecco the Dolphin - $2.99
3D Fantasy Zone - $2.99
3D Fantasy Zone II - $2.99
3D Galaxy Force II - $2.99
3D Gunstar Heroes - $2.99
3D Out Run - $2.99
3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master - $2.99
3D Sonic The Hedgehog - $2.99
3D Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - $2.99
3D Space Harrier - $2.99
3D Streets of Rage - $2.99
3D Streets of Rage 2 - $2.99
3D Super Hang-On - $2.99
3D Thunder Blade - $2.99
7th Dragon III Code: VFD - $8.99
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - $7.99
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight - $7.99
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - $7.99
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - $8.99
Etrian Odyssey Nexus - $9.99
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - $7.99
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - $9.99 - Available only via 3DS systems: Delisted from webstore
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - $9.99
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure - $7.99
Sega 3D Classics Collection - $7.99
Shin Megami Tensei IV - $7.99
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse - $8.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - $7.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker - $7.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - $7.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - $9.99
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - $9.99
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice - $9.99
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal - $9.99
Sonic Generations - $9.99
Sonic Lost World - $9.99
Stella Glow - $7.99
Super Monkey Ball 3D - $7.99

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nintendo sent me a message on my 2DS a while back about this too. At least they're giving their customers notice way ahead of time instead of springing it last minute, I appreciate that.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
It's time for the custom firmware now.
Yeah, I have some of those games still sealed since I haven't got around to playing them yet. With prices on 3DS games going crazy I considered buying digital copies but since I've already paid for them once why should I? That's gotta be FOMO at it's worse. The firmware update looks simple enough to install so I'll be doing that.

I do plan on trying out those 3D Sega Ages games since I never bought them before.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i know this probably doesnt make them all that money, but does it really cost them a lot of money to keep it running?
Zelda trilink heroes and Mario Kart are still active online multiplayer scenes.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
It's time for the custom firmware now.
This can't be stressed enough.

I modded my 3DS a year or so ago for the sole purpose of playing the third 3D Sega Ages collection that never left Japan. Beyond that game I've pretty much already purchased every title on the console that I was interested in, so piracy wasn't a big motivation for me to mod it. I'll tell you though, being able to dump every one of my carts (along with their save files) and have everything installed to a single SD card is incredibly convenient. If you play your 3DS any at all that reason alone is worth the trouble of installing CFW.

About a month ago I modded my Wii U. I hadn't paid attention to the Wii U scene in quite some time. The last time I looked years ago all you could do is mod the virtual Wii side, which wasn't a big deal to me since I already own a couple modded Wii's.

I gotta say though I was completely floored by what all you can do with it now. I was able to dump all my discs to an external HDD (including regular Wii discs), play Gamecube games from the SD card, play Wii games that just use a regular controller with the Gamepad (along with GC/N64/Retroarch on the gamepad as well).

Probably the coolest thing to me is being able to use the Wii U Pro Controller with Wii homebrew. I'm able to play Open BOR, N64, and Gamecube games with the Wii U Pro Controller, all booted straight from the Wii U homescreen without touching a Wiimote. There's even got the option to use any Bluetooth controller on that portion, so you can use PS3/4, Xbox, Switch Joycons....whatever. Really fantastic stuff. Gamecube Capcom VS SNK 2 played on my Wii U looks much better than the digital PS2 version played on my PS3. I've played this system more in the past month than I have in the past three years combined.

I do plan on trying out those 3D Sega Ages games since I never bought them before.

They're absolutely fantastic games, I can't recommend them enough. Even the little shitty ports of the 3D SMS games thrown in as extras are done extremely well. I bought a 3DS just for these games when Sega first announced they were releasing them on the eShop in the US, and I've not regretted that purchase at all. Galaxy Force and Space Harrier have probably the best implementation of the 3D effect that I've seen on the console.