New ? Hyperboard

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
A guy on Facebook had a ton of them recently, not sure if this is the same seller or a flipper.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Crazy to think SNK had so much unsold stock sitting in warehouses by 2000. Why did they produce so much of it? Rev 1 boards and early titles I can see, but everything is in surplus. And sitting unsold for crazy prices despite no demand.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I have no idea what they were thinking releasing something worse than ultra64 hardware in the arcades at that time. It's a pity they didn't do anything 2d on it - as if you'd seen the WR2 intros it's bloody good at it

Fail

I gave mine away it was so bad

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It's a pity they didn't do anything 2d on it - as if you'd seen the WR2 intros it's bloody good at it
Definitely. I remember getting it and seeing the intro and hearing the music, then getting into the actual game and being extremely let down. I wasn't expecting a miracle but it was just so visually dated and awkward to play. So much wasted potential.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
The biggest head-scratcher is why it isn't a multi game system. Y'know, the reason the MVS succeeded in the first place. Half the titles have alternate input methods so you couldn't even run them in one cab.

I'd wager that the system could have done okay if it was a souped up PS1 like the Namco boards of the time, but you could hold four games at once. Easy conversions, easy to get developers making more titles on your hardware, and it'd be a cheap and easily expandable hardware.

You can tell SNK's heart wasn't really into 3D, much like some other companies of the time.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The biggest head-scratcher is why it isn't a multi game system. Y'know, the reason the MVS succeeded in the first place. .
There's certainly room for debate there. I'd argue it was the interchangeable cartridges and budget pricing. The 1-slot systems are by far the most common after all.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The biggest head-scratcher is why it isn't a multi game system. Y'know, the reason the MVS succeeded in the first place. Half the titles have alternate input methods so you couldn't even run them in one cab.
Have you seen a Hyper setup in person? They're massive, heavy and awkward. If it was a multi cart rig it would be so big and heavy that it would be hard to even fit into a candy cab.

Reactions: wyo

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Have you seen a Hyper setup in person? They're massive, heavy and awkward. If it was a multi cart rig it would be so big and heavy that it would be hard to even fit into a candy cab.
There had to be some creative workaround, no? Like loading data from CD into memory a la CPS3. Or reducing the amount of sheer metal plating on the carts. Even a two-slot model could be a cost-effective draw to make operators happy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
There had to be some creative workaround, no? Like loading data from CD into memory a la CPS3. Or reducing the amount of sheer metal plating on the carts. Even a two-slot model could be a cost-effective draw to make operators happy.
What are you even talking about? That was 25 years ago. Are you supposing the hardware be completely re-engineered in some sort of alternate reality?

It would still have been an expensive failure because it had shitty games. Making the system capable of loading more than one wouldn't have changed anything.

Why waste time even thinking about shit like that?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Some guy on Facebook has another haul of NOS hyper boards. Imagine a bunch of NOS 6 slots appeared... well, they'd probably be f**ked with battery leaks

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
The actual games are kinda hard to get these days, at least at interesting prices.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I literally had trouble giving my hyper away

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure they were worried about having more than 4 successful games first before they made a multi system. That all could have come later.

There were lots of plans they never followed through on. Beast Busters Second Nightmare was actually 3 players, but they never built a cab that supports the third gun.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm pretty sure they were worried about having more than 4 successful games first before they made a multi system. That all could have come later.

There were lots of plans they never followed through on. Beast Busters Second Nightmare was actually 3 players, but they never built a cab that supports the third gun.
I had no idea about Beast Busters. Kinda sad.

SNK's heart didn't seem to be in it. Building a 3D system because it was the thing to do at the time without putting the work in. Other companies had been experimenting for years, hiring on 3D artists, training on younger staff. I suspect the issues with the HNG64 games come from putting the young 3D staff on projects with minimal supervision.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
They didn't manage it with SS Sen on far more powerful hardware either tbh