Arcade game sequels

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I could've put this in one of those gaming threads but I'm more of an Unrelated Topic guy so her it goes.

With some recent thread discussions about game sequels, many may have made the original better while some were less than stellar. Then there were a few that were borderline. Game classics like Space Invaders evolved into Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids into Asteroids Deluxe into Space Duel, Defender into Stargate, not to mention Scrabble into Super Cobra. There was one really terrible one that sticks out to me: Spy Hunter into Spy Hunter 2, which set that game back big time. Let's discuss ;)

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
They fucked up Mr. DO!.... thrice.
I actually thought of mr do! also, mr dos castle is a good sequel, I like Neo Mr Do! too, which really isn’t that different than the first one, the other two are pretty bad.

If we’re going that far back Atari’s Empire Strikes Back is a big afterthought compared to Star Wars.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mr. Do's Wild ride is the first arcade game I ever played in someone's house (prol'y circa the late 80's).
The idea that someone could have an arcade game in thier house had never occurred to me before that.

Also, My hommie was crazy obsessed with the original Mr. Do!. He had this job delivering freepers. Instead, he would dump them off at the recycling place, come to my house and drink Chymes Canadian Whiskey with Crème soda and play M.A.M.E. Mr. Do! Until he woudl pass out, sleep it off and go back to clock out.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I could've put this in one of those gaming threads but I'm more of an Unrelated Topic guy so her it goes.

With some recent thread discussions about game sequels, many may have made the original better while some were less than stellar. Then there were a few that were borderline. Game classics like Space Invaders evolved into Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids into Asteroids Deluxe into Space Duel, Defender into Stargate, not to mention Scrabble into Super Cobra. There was one really terrible one that sticks out to me: Spy Hunter into Spy Hunter 2, which set that game back big time. Let's discuss ;)
I would definitely prefer to play Super Cobra over Scrabble. Konami > Hasbro in the games department.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Mr. Do's Wild ride is the first arcade game I ever played in someone's house (prol'y circa the late 80's).
The idea that someone could have an arcade game in thier house had never occurred to me before that.

Also, My hommie was crazy obsessed with the original Mr. Do!. He had this job delivering freepers. Instead, he would dump them off at the recycling place, come to my house and drink Chymes Canadian Whiskey with Crème soda and play M.A.M.E. Mr. Do! Until he woudl pass out, sleep it off and go back to clock out.
Mr Do! dies in a such a violent accident in Wild Ride. Do run run is the worst sequel to me.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I would definitely prefer to play Super Cobra over Scrabble. Konami > Hasbro in the games department.
Hmm for me

Scrabble>Super Cobra (building your vocab kind of, and you can prove your superior word skills over family and friends, but don’t be a dick about it)
Otherwise
Konami>Hasbro (Monopoly Sucks)

But
Scrapple>Scrabble just don’t think about what’s in it

And Finally
2 > x

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I love all MR DO!'s with the exception of NEO MR.DO! NEO MR DO! is a huuuge disappointment!!!
I even find the Colecovision version where the letter monsters eat the play field better! I enjoyed many many hours pf the coleco version upon it's release!!
In regards to Spy Hunter,never played 2 and was never really a big fan..I was too busy playing BUMP'N JUMP<AWSOME GAME> & Time Pilots which also has a sequel that I didn't like too much if at all...
BB

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I love all MR DO!'s with the exception of NEO MR.DO! NEO MR DO! is a huuuge disappointment!!!
I even find the Colecovision version where the letter monsters eat the play field better! I enjoyed many many hours pf the coleco version upon it's release!!
In regards to Spy Hunter,never played 2 and was never really a big fan..I was too busy playing BUMP'N JUMP<AWSOME GAME> & Time Pilots which also has a sequel that I didn't like too much if at all...
BB
Care to elaborate on Neo Mr.Do!? I’m not knocking your opinion. I don’t think gameplay wise it’s that different than the og and the graphics kind of remind me of Saturn bomberman.

The Colecovision version is indeed a good one. I actually play the SNES version the most as I got that for Christmas one year, but I did pick up the Colecovision version at a church fair of all places later.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The biggest drawback about playing Mr. Do! at home (as opposed to in the arcade) is the lack of excitement over getting a diamond.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The Altered Beast game on GBA was real crappy. Also, wasn't there a 3D Altered Beast PS2 game set in like modern times or something?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The Altered Beast game on GBA was real crappy. Also, wasn't there a 3D Altered Beast PS2 game set in like modern times or something?
The PS2 version didn’t even get released in the US. A lot of those Sega Ages games in the beginning are trash compared to the originals.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thunder Dragon 2 eats Thunder Dragon’s lunch, for free.

TD2 is re-released now, under $10 bucks-on Arcade Archives.

Conversely, I like SkyShark better than FireShark.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The PS2 version didn’t even get released in the US. A lot of those Sega Ages games in the beginning are trash compared to the originals.
There's one that's not a Sega Ages release. It's a whole new 3D AB in the vein of the Splatterhouse remake and it's beyond awful.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
If we throw the Neo into the mix

Baseball Stars 2 >>>> Baseball Stars

If we’re talking home versions
Tecmo Bowl NES over the arcade for sure. The series peaked at Super.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd take Gauntlet Dark Legacy of Legends. Though I guess it is technically an expansion.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
A lot of Mr. Do! in the discussion. Loved the original, Castle had the clown and monster but everything else was so different than the first (btw I really hated those blue monsters multiplying and moving 10 times faster than you could run). Wild Ride, meh, I couldn't get into it (probably because I sucked bad at it). Do! Run Run was my personal favorite since I was extremely good at it. Unfortunately never got to play the Neo Mr. Do! though it looks good.

Some sequels looks and probably played way better than the original. Case in point: Stargate (aka Defender 2) visually, graphicly and mechanics of the game was a big step up on Defender but I could stay on Defender and play that much longer. Gauntlet II was a blast when it came out however on the old board version of Gauntlet, I could play that 1cc indefinitely...or at least 24 hours, which was my longest single credit play until I left the game with over 200,000 health points.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Care to elaborate on Neo Mr.Do!? I’m not knocking your opinion. I don’t think gameplay wise it’s that different than the og and the graphics kind of remind me of Saturn bomberman.

The Colecovision version is indeed a good one. I actually play the SNES version the most as I got that for Christmas one year, but I did pick up the Colecovision version at a church fair of all places later.
It's way too easy ..If it's not really adding much in the way of anything new even though I do like the power up versions of Mr.Do! I need the difficulty be waay more than what it is now.
I also believe the Neo Geo Version should have combined the original,castle and wildride all into one..They just could have done so much more with it on this system....also ,I was very excited about getting that diamond in the colecovision version.The letter monsters eating up the terrain really made that one fun and intense!!!
BB