Delorean Is Back

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Neat, but it'll probably flame out just like every other EV startup not named Tesla.

Especially if it caters only to the 100k+ market.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hahaha. The perfect name to dig up for another e car company that won’t exist after…we find out whatever the scam is behind this.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
should have revived 20th Century Motor Car Corp. instead

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Delorean has still been running as a parts wholesaler in Houston for decades since the company stopped producing cars. But because of legal reasons, they can't build and sell completed Deloreans as far as I know, but you can purchase all of the original OEM parts from them as well as new reproductions.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
what to do if your electric car conks out in the middle of nowhere?? Is it possible to walk to the nearest station and a purchase a jug of electricity?
BB

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sure but you can’t swap out a battery on an electric car just like that, can you? I’m sure we’ll see tow trucks and the like equipped with (ironically) gas generators to provide power to stranded EVs.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sure but you can’t swap out a battery on an electric car just like that, can you? I’m sure we’ll see tow trucks and the like equipped with (ironically) gas generators to provide power to stranded EVs.
Oh yeah I forgot current trendy electric car companies are the Apple of vehicles so you probably can't just remove it partially/totally to charge it elsewhere.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
If you have relatively short drive to work everyday an ev might make sense.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
what to do if your electric car conks out in the middle of nowhere?? Is it possible to walk to the nearest station and a purchase a jug of electricity?
BB
It's not always easy to do that with a petrol car, anyway.
Just like with a petrol car, you try to refill it way before it gets to empty.
Or if there are a lot of electric cars on the road (in the near future), you might be able to flag down another car, and they could give you some of their electricity.
Also, some electric cars have solar panels that recharge the battery. Not Teslas, though. So, that might be enough to get you to the next charging station.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Seen on the news here that some people have a little trailer with a batterypack behind their car. Like a big powerbank for cars.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Delorean has still been running as a parts wholesaler in Houston for decades since the company stopped producing cars. But because of legal reasons, they can't build and sell completed Deloreans as far as I know, but you can purchase all of the original OEM parts from them as well as new reproductions.

I learned about this awhile ago and was pretty surprised. Pretty cool honestly.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Oh yeah I forgot current trendy electric car companies are the Apple of vehicles so you probably can't just remove it partially/totally to charge it elsewhere.
Are you seriously going to unhook HV cabling and remove and replace a 400V battery that weighs maybe 700lbs? On the side of the road?

The answer to BBs question is that you call a tow truck and then take it some place to charge for hours.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Hopefully this business will still exist to service those horribly overrated piece of shit cars when the electric version is done and dusted. Hopefully it won’t be consumed by the fire.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Emergency portable chargers will become a thing.

As battery tech improves and cars get above the 500 mile per charge threshold, range anxiety won't be a problem.

Even now, there's DC3 charging stations at enough spots that there's no excuse to lose all your juice on a road trip. If you end up with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere, that's on you. With cars like the EV6 and Ioniq 5, charging time won't even be that big of a deal to get you from 0 to 80 in 18 or so minutes. Same amount of time to fill up, take a piss, and get snacks at a gas station.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Only if you abuse it. Unless you're doing an absolutely stupid amount of long road trips, you should only be doing lvl 2 charging at home, or if you lucky, at work.

Any EV worth it's salt will have a long term battery warranty. I'm getting the Mach-E next month and it's battery is covered for 8 years. It'll definitely get traded in before then.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Emergency portable chargers will become a thing.

As battery tech improves and cars get above the 500 mile per charge threshold, range anxiety won't be a problem.

Even now, there's DC3 charging stations at enough spots that there's no excuse to lose all your juice on a road trip. If you end up with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere, that's on you. With cars like the EV6 and Ioniq 5, charging time won't even be that big of a deal to get you from 0 to 80 in 18 or so minutes. Same amount of time to fill up, take a piss, and get snacks at a gas station.

The thing is that its a thing. It is still new(ish), it is still a change. When you run out of gas in an ICE car, any LoneStooge with a gas can will be able to save you. I carry jumper cables around and have jumped dozens of cars including my own on several occasions, as a 17 year old I once bummed a gas can off a gas station clerk (they inexplicably didn't sell them at the convenience mart) so I could buy a gallon and bring it back. As I typed this I didn't even know if there is any point to jumping an EV car and found this.

"Do not use another electric vehicle to jumpstart your battery. EVs are not equipped for this task as they discharge more slowly and cannot supply the extra power. Instead, use a gas-powered car or a portable jumpstart device."

lol

Sure, there are workarounds, and ultimately its just like if you break down in the middle of nowhere. Call for a tow. The difference is that probably since the 1950s there are few parts of this country where you would have to legitimately be worried about finding a gas station and certainly wouldn't plan your gas station stops ahead of time on a road trip while you might consider finding charging points along your route for an EV.

The battery stuff is interesting, because I have seen plenty of reporting suggesting we are hitting a limit of the theoretical capacity of Li Ion batteries and that future advances will require future tech. I am not super well read on this so I stand to be corrected.

I'm not wholly against EVs, but I think the price premium is still tough to justify on a strictly economical basis (although getting closer every year) and the functionality of them from charging to road trips puts barriers in place for multiple different groups of people (no place at home to charge, regular long trips, etc.) When they work for the person, good, more power to them, but I'm under no delusions currently that the entire personal vehicle fleet in this country can become electric in a decade nor should it be forced through with subsidies.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m just here to stay I’ve never ran out of gas.

Come close tho :emb:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Fair point on the jumpstart, but I suppose that just means it's important to keep a portable jump starter just in case. Not that most folks would know that since there's no way most dealerships would bother to mention it.

The good thing about most modern EVs is if you put your trip in the navigation, it'll tell you exactly when and where you should charge it. Takes all the guesswork out of it and will keep you from ending up stuck somewhere in some horror movie/Deliverance type scenario.

As for the batteries, there's some interesting ones in development that utilize solid state technology that allows Li Ion battery tech to go quite a bit further. There's also motion towards Li Sulfur batteries that use some kind of a funky membrane that should, in theory, get you a thousand miles or more on a single charge.

I'd be shocked if we saw them any sooner than five years in production vehicles, but the science and tech are getting there.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I’m just here to stay I’ve never ran out of gas.

Come close tho :emb:

I don't do heroin, I just push my gas tank to the limit for thrills.

I've probably run out of gas a dozen times. Once a half a mile past the gas station that I intended to stop at on my way home from an errand simply because I forgot.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

yes. yes you can.
but carrying gasoline or a battery to a dead car isnt fun either way.