Diablo 2: Erection...err...Resurrected.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Throw in some corpse explosions for good effect.

I was still actively playing D2 up until D3 launched. But that’s been, what - 10 years ago?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Throw in some corpse explosions for good effect.

I was still actively playing D2 up until D3 launched. But that’s been, what - 10 years ago?
I played D2 even after D3 because D3 fucking sucks monkey ass and I hate it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I played D2 even after D3 because D3 fucking sucks monkey ass and I hate it.

I tried to like it. Probably played up to Season 3 I think. I played the expansion but I don’t think I ever even rolled a crusader. The final act (base game) in D3 is just entirely bland and uninspired.

But yeah...they went in the wrong direction with that game for sure.

I’m cautiously optimistic for D4.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
D3 was doomed from the start because the game's infrastructure was developed around the RMT monetization. The devs weren't allowed to actually make a game. They had to make a whaling market disguised as a game.

Shame, too. Some hard work went into D3.

Now the company is a shadow of its former glory and their corporate philosophy is just as cancerous and anti consumer as all the rest of AAA.

Indies and Japanese games are where it's at.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The open beta will be available this week on Friday, no pre-order needed to access it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Played through the open beta the last few days. It’s standard D2, but looks real good. It’s only two acts so got through it pretty quickly, did some Andy runs, got to lvl 25… looking forward to the full release, I will be playing it a lot!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Indies and Japanese games are where it's at.
Not sure if it counts as an indy at this point, but I picked up Hades when it dropped for PS5 and it delivers the Diablo gameplay fix better than anything since Diablo II. I'll still probably get the remake despite Blizzard's heel turn because D2 is one of the best games ever made, but I'm wondering how well it will stack up after all this time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Not sure if it counts as an indy at this point, but I picked up Hades when it dropped for PS5 and it delivers the Diablo gameplay fix better than anything since Diablo II. I'll still probably get the remake despite Blizzard's heel turn because D2 is one of the best games ever made, but I'm wondering how well it will stack up after all this time.
Hades is, pardon the pun, god tier. Fucking excellent game with a more addictive gameplay loop than I thought it would have. On a narrative level, it's also self aware and while I don't really like anachronistic dialogue in games based on mythology (laaaaaaaaaaazy writing), it's not postmodern, deconstructionist self loathing trash. You can tell the writers have great affection for Greek mythology but also aren't afraid to have some fun with it. A gift of a title.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I am playing Hades as well, I like it but don't love it like you do. It can be addictive at times but the i keep dashing into environmental hazards and it drives me bananas.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
anachronistic dialogue in games based on mythology (laaaaaaaaaaazy writing),
Not sure about the anachronistic bit (in context) but tbh I find a story to be more respectable when its based on mythology. Lets face it, most writers, especially in video games, are fucking bad at their job. Very rarely do you see totally original lore that isn't retarded or in poor taste. Taking a classical approach I think is very tasteful. But this is an opinion from someone who finds mythologies & societies therein from Greece / Rome to be some of the most fascinating stuff ever. Personal preference.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Not sure about the anachronistic bit (in context) but tbh I find a story to be more respectable when its based on mythology. Lets face it, most writers, especially in video games, are fucking bad at their job. Very rarely do you see totally original lore that isn't retarded or in poor taste. Taking a classical approach I think is very tasteful. But this is an opinion from someone who finds mythologies & societies therein from Greece / Rome to be some of the most fascinating stuff ever. Personal preference.

this is turning into a Hades thread, which im fine with because I agree it's amazing. I found myself revisiting a lot of Greek mythology as I was playing Hades, so it did something right with the context material. It had me researching history for fun.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Never even played it. Turned off by the art direction. But the theme of mythology is solid for a Diablo clone. Would like to see a Diablo clone that uses Diablo 2-like graphics and focuses on very, very rigid Greek mythological stories. I'm talking fawns/satyrs, Minotaur, the Erotes, all that beautiful shit, rendered like it was in the Blizzard golden years. Those dark age graphics w/ the fog of war and the font would be perfect for a really grim & enchanting Greek myth.

I get similar vibes from the Souls games, btw. Dark and lustrous like a pre-raph painting.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Played the beta. The game looks awesome in 60fps. It's still fun to play, although even dressed in HD you can feel that it's an old game. So far, my biggest complaint is that it's really fucking hard to see doors on the minimap. A few times I've found myself crawling a map just trying to find the exit to the next level.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hades is excellent, however, I don't see the correlation between it and an ARPG like Diablo 2.

At least for me the game satisfies different wants/needs.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
...and the launch is bugged. Character levels aren't saving when you leave a game.

Time to go to bed.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m sad no Mac port. Don’t really want to play on Xbox without mouse and keyboard support.

Guess I better get a PC.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You'd think the Cyberpunk 2077 deblacle would help getting finished games at release...

nope.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You'd think the Cyberpunk 2077 deblacle would help getting finished games at release...

nope.
As of December 2020 the game had made $609 million in digital sales alone. Who knows how much more in physical retail, and how much more in the nine months since then.

So the lesson everyone learned is that you absolutely DON'T have to finish your games before release.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
As of December 2020 the game had made $609 million in digital sales alone. Who knows how much more in physical retail, and how much more in the nine months since then.

So the lesson everyone learned is that you absolutely DON'T have to finish your games before release.
So true. All you have to do is building a good rep first by making your own Witcher 3.

Just look at Fallout 76, sixteen times the details! Yeah right.

Selling preorders should be illegal at this point.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damn my bud just downloaded D2 on Xbox. Guess I’m doling out the cash for it. Fuxk.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Console port isn’t so bad as far as controls. I do think all the range classes suffer with respect to picking the enemy you want to hit, just have to throw your attack in the general direction.

I’m not sure why Mouse and Keyboard isn’t an option these days.

Been running through the game with a younger friend who was born around the time the game came out lol. I’ve forgotten so much about D2 but am surprised by how it’s still so familiar.