A new consolized MVS has dropped, the "Open MVS" AKA "OMVS"

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Well, from here on out, it sounds like I'll only be offering the DIY kit, as I've already sold through my stock of MV1C boards. At the $350, it included a full console, including the shell, psu, and MV1C board.

Any plans for molded ABS shells?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Well, from here on out, it sounds like I'll only be offering the DIY kit, as I've already sold through my stock of MV1C boards. At the $350, it included a full console, including the shell, psu, and MV1C board.

Ok, that’s what I wanted to know. $350 is a deal if the board is included but since it wasn’t specified by name I wasn’t sure it came together.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Avram is good people and this thing looks slick. Nicely done!

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Is the MVS logo cutout on top mandatory?
BB

I'm sure it's something that can easily be changed. He may already have the 3d file without the logo.

Looking forward to this project. Love the clean simplicity of the hardware to consolize the MV1C. Now we just need a OMVS logo :)

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I'm sure it's something that can easily be changed. He may already have the 3d file without the logo.

Looking forward to this project. Love the clean simplicity of the hardware to consolize the MV1C. Now we just need a OMVS logo :)

OMVS_dogtag.png

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Considered it, but injection molding is super expensive and the flexibility of a 3d printed design encourages people to mold it into what they need.

For sure. It will depend on how many you sell as well though. A single 3D printed part like this is easily 50 times the cost of an injected part and it presumably takes a day to make which means the wear and tear on your personal printer is significant. It also melts in the sun, has grooves all over it, etc. The economies will trade places at some point. You need to manufacture like 1000 to break even on a mold and that’s probably totally unrealistic. I’d look into it though. Even offshore IP parts beat 3D stuff in almost every way.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Omg, the forums are back! 🤣

Well, big news since the last post, the OMVS project is now open sourced, and anyone is able to build their own units! The shell is up on thingiverse, and the gerber/bom is up on github:

I'm slowly plugging at the endless queue of preorders, but will continue to make random basic shells for each board revision based on the two PCBs in use:

The rear shell for the MV1F shell is pretty standardized, as the same hole spacing is available on the MV1, MV1T and the MV1F, so that can be used for the rear AV board and the power socket.

Feel free to do whatever you want with the design, I've decided to vend fabricated PCBs and power supplies to those that want to print their own cases in order to get builds to other people as fast as possible:

traveno

Rugal's Thug
Well, big news since the last post, the OMVS project is now open sourced, and anyone is able to build their own units! The shell is up on thingiverse, and the gerber/bom is up on github:
This is awesome news! Now it's truly an open mvs. Thanks for the hard work, and for sharing the design on thingiverse. I'd love to build on of these.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I wouldn't leave my JNX CMVS for it, but that kit looks nice.
Nothing wrong with options, just check your JNX audio channels, the two people in the TO discord realized that the left and right channels were swapped. Easy test is Alpha Mission 2, the stereo affect pans the shot sound effect left and right based on the ships position.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nothing wrong with options, just check your JNX audio channels, the two people in the TO discord realized that the left and right channels were swapped. Easy test is Alpha Mission 2, the stereo affect pans the shot sound effect left and right based on the ships position.
So when someone compares mine to yours, you take a shot at mine?

Watch yourself dude.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
So when someone compares mine to yours, you take a shot at mine?

Watch yourself dude.

That came out wrong, I did not intend to disrespect JNX consoles in anyway with that last statement. Rather than ignore it or deleting the comment in an attempt to save face, I'd like to acknowledge that I came off as an asshole and have no excuse for what I said - I am sorry for that and it was uncalled for.

On another note, had to rebrand the console after a legal notice for using the MVS logo, so that was fun. Given the open source nature of the project, I just threw the Open-Sourced hardware logo on the face and stopped using the MVS trademark. I believe that it is okay to have the shell on thingiverse if I am not profiting on their trademark, but have started using this design as of late:

Capture.PNG

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Hey all, for anyone still interested in the project, I've been more focused on just getting component kits out for people that want to go and build a unit themselves. Case designs are available on Thingiverse for both a large format printer as well as an entry level one like a Ender 3:

Original (large format)
Redesign (small format)

For those without a printer, you can buy the printed shells from LaserBear.net, much cheaper than buying it from a 3D printing service like Shapeways or 3D Hubs: OMVS Shell from LaserBear

I'll be offering component kits via a Google Doc on my website, but happy to remove components unnecessary for you builds (like the PSU, or if you just want the PCBs): Component kits

Still working on a QSB to make it easier to install the CPSdigiAV kit on the MV1C, but glad to see so many people excited for the project.

dzhay

n00b
Has someone got the skills/motivation to make the top shell look at a bit more AES?

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Has someone got the skills/motivation to make the top shell look at a bit more AES?

Noice! You do this yet in black and gold backing behind the logo? Hope you also don’t see a cease and desist

Hey all, for anyone still interested in the project, I've been more focused on just getting component kits out for people that want to go and build a unit themselves. Case designs are available on Thingiverse for both a large format printer as well as an entry level one like a Ender 3:

Original (large format)
Redesign (small format)

For those without a printer, you can buy the printed shells from LaserBear.net, much cheaper than buying it from a 3D printing service like Shapeways or 3D Hubs: OMVS Shell from LaserBear

I'll be offering component kits via a Google Doc on my website, but happy to remove components unnecessary for you builds (like the PSU, or if you just want the PCBs): Component kits

Still working on a QSB to make it easier to install the CPSdigiAV kit on the MV1C, but glad to see so many people excited for the project.
Any pointers on sourcing MV1C boards these days for the kits? Seems like ~$100 and most listings are from China/Mexico. The video SmokeMonester did about snapping them up for $50? seems potentially outdated.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Noice! You do this yet in black and gold backing behind the logo? Hope you also don’t see a cease and desist
That's not my design, that's the beauty of it being open sourced, anyone can modify or contribute if they want. I already got hit with a C&D for the original design, so I will not be touching that shell with a 20 ft pole.