The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Is that animated short out there anywhere? Or is it new and exclusive to this game?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Is that animated short out there anywhere? Or is it new and exclusive to this game?
Hey whats up NeoCvera, it’s new and exclusive to the game, though we could see it pop up on youtube, etc to promote the game before hand.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dare anyone to tell me they don't think the story mode cut scenes in that video look like a fucking Disney game. The colors, the lighting, the proportions, the faces. I expect Kingdom Hearts characters to walk into frame. Donald Duck and shit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ash looks especially silly, I mean Ash already looked silly but they've managed to make it far more apparent.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I mean....I'll get the game. How could I not?

But I wish we could just go back to the time when the concepts were simple. Remember when a blonde crime lord held the town in an Iron grip and made people fight each other for kicks?

Now it's all 'save the world' and other stupidity. Would you trust any of these people besides Terry to actually save us from anyone?

Just go back to kid sisters being kidnapped and swarthy entrepreneurs drinking mutagens.

Maybe rich dudes that own aircraft carriers capturing Capcom characters, beating them up and dipping them in gold. That would be cool.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But I wish we could just go back to the time when the concepts were simple. Remember when a blonde crime lord held the town in an Iron grip and made people fight each other for kicks?
I was just thinking that. But it's been like that ever since the advent of KOF. And especially after they abandoned the original FF/AoF timeline for the shared KOF bullshit.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I was just thinking that. But it's been like that ever since the advent of KOF. And especially after they abandoned the original FF/AoF timeline for the shared KOF bullshit.
I feel as though simpler, more streamlined action plots would remind the creative directors to design according to the theme.

Well, when you have aliens and clones and dragon gods, what is the theme? Everything under the sun?

This isn't the real world. It's a story. J-Rock biker boys saving the world from funky aliens from the Nth dimension means art direction doesn't have to exist.

Without art direction you can't have character concepts. Without concepts, you can't have characters. Without characters, how do you conceive move sets, play styles or balance?

The one thing the Japanese do better than the west in terms of game design is theme. What happened?

'Why does that girl dressed like a bee do a move where she spins around, her boobs bounce and she commands a fleet of trucks to run someone over?'

'Because aliens, man! And tits!'

Nothing matters and everything is stupid.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If they ever make a MOTW sequel, they'll probably go back to something more simple and local to Southtown.

Big IF there.

KOF has been a crazy, complex cluster of a story since 95.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

I wish they would give us OG fans a refuge with some simple AOF/Fatal fury reboots.

Doesn't need to be 50 characters, even 10 would be ok and hell.... let them even utilize any useable assets from KOF if they have to.

Just for the love of God TRY and capture that old SNK charm instead of street fighters zaniness. How about some fucking ATMOSPHERE and TONE in these games instead of Saturday morning cartoon shit with kingdom hearts characters and wobbly waifus.

Christ....

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I like snk, but I am not going to give free passes if I smell BS. Game still looks like it came from the ps2 era. The animations look clunky and there are a lot of copy and pasting from kof 14. SNK still has lots of work to do to make the animations on par with SFV, nevermind GG strive. Even 2008 SF4 animates better than this game if I am being honest. It's also scummy of them to announce dlc when the game is still far out and will only release next year. They are not even hiding it. It's not like the game is completely brand new as there are many re-used assets. The only good thing about this game is rollback netcode.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Just for the love of God TRY and capture that old SNK charm instead of street fighters zaniness.

This.

'Story' looks like hot trash.

Dlc and pre orders bonuses work - but still make it feel shit - especially when they're wip.

Still not a massive fan of their aesthetic for kof but it's better than 14.

Thing is I've actually surprised myself by becoming very interested in this game... We'll see if it lasts...

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Looks like Ash has returned…I thought he erased himself from the timeline along with his ancestor :spock:
KOF timeline? You are going to give yourself a headache
The ending of the thirteenth chapter created a time paradox, which spawned the entity of 'Verse'.

Story:

QyiCh5j.jpg

The King of Fighters XIV Art Gallery, Characters - Promo Pictures - Concept Art.

Verse is an entity that was introduced in the storyline when Ash Crimson erased himself and Saiki from spacetime. It is a being created from eternal negative energy and thrives from the darkness of people's wishes. Within its being, it traps numerous fighters' souls from many ages.

This Verse's manifestation has already caused time anomalies. A fragment of Verse is inside Shun'ei. Its presence compelled Nakoruru (who refers to him as Wei Kamu) to traverse through spacetime to defeat it.

When this Verse is defeated, the souls inside it are released and a worldwide search for revived fighters commences. Verse's ending shows its remains landing at Australia's Ayers Rock.

According to Geese Howard, Verse's appearance was foretold in "The Secret Scrolls". He also said that "it didn't appear at it's full state this time".

Verse | SNK Wiki | Fandom
Spoiler:
k1L1VlT.jpg

Ldl6It6.jpg

ELSnvS9.jpg

f91qpcC.jpg

ZtCOkmM.jpg

ydtZ060.jpg

YD6hCLS.jpg

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The ending of the thirteenth chapter created a time paradox, which spawned the entity of Verse.

Spoiler:
k1L1VlT.jpg

Ldl6It6.jpg

ELSnvS9.jpg

f91qpcC.jpg

ZtCOkmM.jpg

ydtZ060.jpg

YD6hCLS.jpg

Hey whats up Mr. Karate II, thank you! I’m still really shocked to see him made playable so soon, considering the long playable absences endured by other characters such as Eiji, Krauser, Shermie, Yashiro, Chris, Heavy D, B. Jenet, etc etc).

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
I like snk, but I am not going to give free passes if I smell BS. Game still looks like it came from the ps2 era. The animations look clunky and there are a lot of copy and pasting from kof 14. SNK still has lots of work to do to make the animations on par with SFV, nevermind GG strive. Even 2008 SF4 animates better than this game if I am being honest. It's also scummy of them to announce dlc when the game is still far out and will only release next year. They are not even hiding it. It's not like the game is completely brand new as there are many re-used assets. The only good thing about this game is rollback netcode.
I disagree. The graphics and animation are light years above PS2 quality. I know it's trendy and funny to make that comparison, but it's not just true. Watch a video of KOF MI or MI2, then the most recent trailer.

GG: Strive's animations and style are apples and oranges compared to this. GG looks like an anime. KOF does not.

Beyond that, I think the animations are fine, though I think the facial expressions could use a little more work as those are fairly stiff.

Announcing DLC this early is only scummy if it's fully developed content that they're deliberately holding off to charge more money post-release. Aside from the Terry and Leona pre-order costumes, any other character additions will, IMO, definitely be not completed by release. Right now they're going to be in spit and polish mode until the release with the 39 characters they already have. Honestly I think the smaller roster is because they don't want to delay it again, and need to get it out the door.

As far re-using assets, criticizing SNK and fighting games in general for doing that seems pretty ridiculous. That's been a tradition since SF2 came out. Regardless, the models in KOF 14 were solid, so why not reuse them and spruce them up with better textures and lighting?

Fygee

20 Year Member
They can bring back whomever they want with the Verse shenanigans.

Hell, they always could. Just takes a creative enough story contrivance to excuse it.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hey whats up Mr. Karate II, thank you! I’m still really shocked to see him made playable so soon, considering the long playable absences endured by other characters such as Eiji, Krauser, Shermie, Yashiro, Chris, Heavy D, B. Jenet, etc etc).
'Verse' was a rather bland character, but he was the necessary graft that allowed to accelerate the times and thus create this whole saga.

They can't just bring Rugal back can they?
As I was creating this message I thought of you, because at the end of 'KOF XIV' 'Verse' landed right in Australia (:lolz:).

By the way of forgotten characters: in 'KOF XIV' 'Verse' proved to have within it at least the souls of Ash (who has just returned), Krizalid (who thinks he's still the original compared to K'), Orochi, Gaidel (Leona's birth father), Mizuki, Igniz and also the same Rugal you requested.

Specific Win Quotes:
"Same as always... Monsieur." (Ash Crimson's Soul) (vs. Iori)
"I am... the original..." (Krizalid's Soul) (vs. K')
"I am... Orochi... Now... here... return to nothingness." (Orochi's Soul) (vs. Kyo)
"Always… watching over you..." (Gaidel's Soul) (vs. Leona)
"What’s wrong…? You can be my secretary again..." (Rugal Bernstein's Soul) (vs. Mature)
"Following me to this world… You disgust me… Gehehe." (Mizuki Rashojin's Soul) (vs. Nakoruru)
"Finally… I found you… You… fragment of me..." (vs. Shun'ei)
"I am the strongest… Try to best me." (Igniz's Soul) (vs. Sylvie)

Verse/Quotes

Orochi also appeared in Iori's ending (along with Chizuru Kagura, which was mentioned in Kyo's conclusion as well).
Spoiler:
pPIo1Bh.jpg

RcrqaDu.jpg

PbOAimp.jpg

L1Ehhx5.jpg

Part 1 of 3.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Among the characters who haven't appeared in decades, but who have been nominated within the game, there are also Jin Chonrei, Cheng Sinzan, and Jeff Bogard (via Tung Fu Rue's memories).

Spoiler:
dVlyZAU.jpg

EaRoQ0b.jpg

5sadTr3.jpg

anGlQtK.jpg

4B44qxH.jpg

gMnbnAM.jpg

l3ufCXQ.jpg

E2RYaLq.jpg

ixHJQAc.jpg

rnfDGQE.jpg

JlcSOLN.jpg