What anime are you watching?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My daughter is obsessed with My Hero Academia so I decided this weekend I’d show her some Studio Ghibli classics - Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki’s Delivery Service.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Just finished the 1st Gundam 0079 movie and still watching JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable on Netflix.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
For anyone who wanted to watch Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time, it's up on Amazon Prime Video, as well as the other NGE Rebuild movies. Just got done with 3.0+1.01, and the animation is something that must be seen, even if you're not a fan of the series. I can say after seeing all of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion, the Rebuild movies leave more plot holes, especially 3.33 and 3.0+1.01, but they stand on their own IMO. The Rebuild series should absolutely be taken separately from the original series and End of Evangelion. Their stories start the same, but play out very differently. I give 3.0+1.01 a solid 8/10. It could have been a perfect 10/10, but it still doesn't fix all of the issues created by the story departure in 3.33, and the ending has some issues of its own in my opinion. Still, must watch if the series interests you or if 3.0+1.01 is the last Rebuild movie you need to see.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
After watching the Big O series a few times in a row (my son became a big fan of the show); I rewatched the 3 Fatal Fury movies again this month along with the newer Hokuto no Ken Raoh Den films. Just felt like watching some favorites:

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For anyone who wanted to watch Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time, it's up on Amazon Prime Video, as well as the other NGE Rebuild movies. Just got done with 3.0+1.01, and the animation is something that must be seen, even if you're not a fan of the series. I can say after seeing all of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion, the Rebuild movies leave more plot holes, especially 3.33 and 3.0+1.01, but they stand on their own IMO. The Rebuild series should absolutely be taken separately from the original series and End of Evangelion. Their stories start the same, but play out very differently. I give 3.0+1.01 a solid 8/10. It could have been a perfect 10/10, but it still doesn't fix all of the issues created by the story departure in 3.33, and the ending has some issues of its own in my opinion. Still, must watch if the series interests you or if 3.0+1.01 is the last Rebuild movie you need to see.
I didn't watch Rebuild past the first two, but weren't the characters different? Like Shinji was more confident.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I didn't watch Rebuild past the first two, but weren't the characters different? Like Shinji was more confident.
The first stays pretty true to the original series. The second is more of a departure in terms of story, but Shinji still carries his original character traits. The third takes place 14 years in the future and leaves you with a feeling of “wut”, but then this latest fourth movie atones for some of the sins of the third.

Honestly, Shinji grows a pair in the fourth and becomes the character you wanted to see the entire time IMO. Definitely more confident and ready to battle his dad, Gendo, one on one.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Finally got around to watch this to the end after years of only watching ten/twenty minuets before giving up.

The animation is pretty unique and similar to My Neighbours the Yamadas but of a higher quality which was my favourite part. But as for the story it was a bit too cliche for my taste with the whole " I don't want to be a rich and powerful princess that has everything she wants including every AES and MVS game in mint condition. I just want to be a peasant girl that runs around in the dirt chasing a cat".

But then again the story is more about trying to figure out what the princess is and where she came from which pays off at the end. I think it would of helped if the movie was shorter to around an hour and thirty minuets. Two hours and fifteen minuets is a bit too much for a simple fairy tale.

I still recommend it considering it's studio Ghibli which means the animation,atmosphere and soundtrack is going to be superb which it is.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I still recommend it considering it's studio Ghibli which means the animation,atmosphere and soundtrack is going to be superb which it is.
Tales from Earthsea was the beginning of the end of Ghibli. IDK if I'm the first to even suggest it in that way. I saw Ponyo once, and in the theater, and was impressed by the visuals but knew that movie wasn't made for me. And The Wind Rises - to me - was just more of the same whitewashing Japanese movies do when it comes to their history during WWII. If I was smarter and a writer I would make waves explaining that but alas the beer has crippled me mentally.

Seriously, everyone talks about how much they're a Ghibli fan but only mention Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Fireflies (what's with faggots never mentioning the obvious all-time great Porco Rosso?). But the movies made in the past 15 years? Silence.

Ghibli was great, once. Sucks to face the fact that they only had a great run for 20 years.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Tales from Earthsea was the beginning of the end of Ghibli. IDK if I'm the first to even suggest it in that way. I saw Ponyo once, and in the theater, and was impressed by the visuals but knew that movie wasn't made for me. And The Wind Rises - to me - was just more of the same whitewashing Japanese movies do when it comes to their history during WWII. If I was smarter and a writer I would make waves explaining that but alas the beer has crippled me mentally.

Seriously, everyone talks about how much they're a Ghibli fan but only mention Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Fireflies (what's with faggots never mentioning the obvious all-time great Porco Rosso?). But the movies made in the past 15 years? Silence.

Ghibli was great, once. Sucks to face the fact that they only had a great run for 20 years.
Yeah Porco Rosso is in my top 5 favourite Ghibli movies. Definitely better than some of their more known movies. But I always have and still appreciate every new Ghibli movie knowing as bad as it may be compared to their previous stuff, it's still going to be better than most animated movies out there from other animation studios.

I think with Tales from Earthsea we knew it wasn't going to be as good as the rest of Ghibli because it was Miyazaki's son directing it and it was his first big animated project. But I really enjoyed Ponyo and especially From Up On Poppy Hill.

My main concern now is what the future holds for Ghibli from now going forward considering a lot of their animators went over to Studio Ponoc and I personally thought their latest movie Earwig and the Witch which was all CG and a bit of a train wreck. Is this going to be their norm now?.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I finally watched the live action Rurouni Kenshin and man was it great. Had to watch the OVA again Trust & Betrayal, its been about 2 decades since i've seen them. It still holds up as one of the best of all time. Love the OST so much.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The Wind Rises whitewashes nothing. Neither doesn’t Fireflies. These two guys are the epitome of post war pacifist Japan. They aren’t explaining away the Rape of Nanjing. There is more to say about war than rewarding whoever “won” forever in movies. Much like Germany, Japanese imperialism, in the end, screwed Japan itself as bad as anyone. The losers have interesting stories too. The Wind Rises is about losers, the kids in Fireflies were obviously massive losers.

Saying it’s over for Ghibli wasn’t a revolutionary idea at any point. Takahata and Miyazaki themselves were talking about this as long ago as…I want to say the post-release hype for Porco, so 1993 or so. They knew when they built the studio it would be hard to find anyone to replace them and they were already old when they started it.

I personally loved Ponyo, it was the ultimate swan song of hand drawn theatrical Japanese animation. Earthsea is literally too boring to even finish. That CG thing can fuck the fuck off forever. I’m glad it bombed, they’ll never make that mistake again…although I’m not sure they’ll survive it so they may make nothing but merch now. :)

There was never another studio like it in the history of Japan or any other country. It was a great run. From Nausicaa through Whipser of the Heart I was totally enthralled. Once that black ooze from Mononoke started invading every movie I was less entertained. I think the passing of Kondo was too much for the original spirit of the place to survive. Honestly I’m just glad Ponyo got made.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Am I the only one who noticed?

There was some ooze in Nausicaa, just the god warrior really, a lot more oozy things in the manga, but not a lot of ooze in early Ghibli. Once Mononoke hit, it was a Ghibli staple. There is so much ooze in Spirited Away that the Oscar they gave it should have been a golden plunger. Howl has the ooze. Maybe other movies…

Ponyo sort of has the ooze but it’s water so it’s not as revolting.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
"Yuru outdoor activities club"
it's about going camping and shit

Last edited: