Moving Is Going To Be Insane.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If you can swing it, hire packers for everything you don’t plastic wrap (think shrink wrap that white glove cabs come in) to the shelves they live in.

It’s a big expense, and made me feel boughetto; however-it was clutch.

Having someone else (a team of someone-elses) had all the housewares/clothes/etc boxed in a day (family of four, house full of stuff).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
lol @ all the salty angry faces on my post about throwing shit away.

Send all your creepy anime futa waifu dolls to Master Tasuke or throw that shit in the trash.

What is the executor of your will going to think when he has to sell your big titted porcelain anime statues and your Poison real doll?
Unlike yourself and I, I don't think a lot of people here actually throw things in the bin.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've moved way too many times in my life.

I think next time around I'm hiring people to move and pack away my stuff ... except for my audio and video game stuffs, such a pain, but I might do what @ggallegos1 suggested. The kitchen is always a tough move too. I'll pay them extra to pack that shit away. Fuck, I hope I move into my forever home next. Such a pain in the ass.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
What is the usual cost to have ppl move shit for you? What have you guys paid in the recent past?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you can swing it, hire packers for everything you don’t plastic wrap (think shrink wrap that white glove cabs come in) to the shelves they live in.

It’s a big expense, and made me feel boughetto; however-it was clutch.

Having someone else (a team of someone-elses) had all the housewares/clothes/etc boxed in a day (family of four, house full of stuff).
Depends on the company. I know people that did that and it ended up being a total nightmare.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Anyways, I agree with selling some stuff if not most of it. It's nice to have that freedom and also piece of mind of not owning a ton of shit.

I didn't feel this way in my early 20's but being close to 40 now I realize its just valuable plastic lying around.

That being said, don't throw it out. Selling off most of my videogame collection helped me with some of the down payment on my current home. Saved me from having to dig further into my savings. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I don't know how much stuff you have but if you were anything like me, a month won't cut it. It took me years to slowly sell my stuff. It was a pain in the ass having to deal with some buyers but I'm still glad I did.

Once you move into your new place I would suggest you take a look around and start trimming.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I hired movers to move the heavy stuff and it was a godsend. I was very involved in how they were loading stuff but I'm getting old to move these arcade cabinets and furniture around by myself. As long as you pack small and secure, it makes life much easier. Also, use the packing tape that's colored and labeled, makes sorting much easier since you can divide it up by room.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Selling is way to much effort and stress with a month before the move date.
This is so true unfortunately. De-collecting is a multi year long process, however progress can be made in a short time.

Before my last move I planned on having a big garage sale for most of my collectibles. After posting Craigslist ads, I got a few offers from resellers to buy the lot. I kept my gems and passed off all the filler (think sports titles, Jp language rpg imports, kids games, etc) for multi 4 figures.

it wasn’t top dollar, but saved me tens or maybe hundreds of hours trying to sell piecemeal.

the reality with most people collections is they see price charting or eBay prices, but actually getting that value on a per item basis is extremely difficult. Owning 1000 “$10” games is different than getting $10k for them.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
The serious advice is to take a serious look at your collection and part with some (if not all) of it.
I did this a couple months ago. Being able to keep things at my parents house was a luxury I could no longer afford as they were downsizing. I didn't dare get rid of any Neo stuff, but I did reconsider many of the other things I owned/collected and I think I enjoy what I have more than ever now that I've pared down what I don't love. And yes, I was only able to make the time for it because of lockdowns. Decluttering can be a full-time job!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Garage sale is the easiest way to sell.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What is the usual cost to have ppl move shit for you? What have you guys paid in the recent past?

We hired movers for our heavy stuff during out 2018 move, it was just over $1000 to have them do it. A lock, stock, barrel kind of move? It would have been very expensive.

I have no regrets having paid for it, the moved some of the worst stuff that we own and did it with a smile.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We hired movers for our heavy stuff during out 2018 move, it was just over $1000 to have them do it. A lock, stock, barrel kind of move? It would have been very expensive.

I have no regrets having paid for it, the moved some of the worst stuff that we own and did it with a smile.
This is the way.

Any time I move I hire movers. We should have a thread about how to hire movers, and manage them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jro

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

Only to discover that your neighbors house was superior

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm moving in a month as well. I bought a bunch of those plastic crates at Home Depot. But I am in panic phase at this point. I plan on giving away a ton. I've already started trashing shit. But yeah, selling is just toooo much work for anything worth less than $50 for me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm moving in a month as well. I bought a bunch of those plastic crates at Home Depot. But I am in panic phase at this point. I plan on giving away a ton. I've already started trashing shit. But yeah, selling is just toooo much work for anything worth less than $50 for me.
Next time you will think hard before buying that thing you don’t actually want to keep.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

D U M P S T E R

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is so true unfortunately. De-collecting is a multi year long process, however progress can be made in a short time.

Before my last move I planned on having a big garage sale for most of my collectibles. After posting Craigslist ads, I got a few offers from resellers to buy the lot. I kept my gems and passed off all the filler (think sports titles, Jp language rpg imports, kids games, etc) for multi 4 figures.

it wasn’t top dollar, but saved me tens or maybe hundreds of hours trying to sell piecemeal.

the reality with most people collections is they see price charting or eBay prices, but actually getting that value on a per item basis is extremely difficult. Owning 1000 “$10” games is different than getting $10k for them.
People going to garage sales expect a deal. I went to a few with game collections, and they were asking ebay prices. It wasn't worth the trip.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Get lots of free boxes and packing material from FB, etc. Start packing everyday and number your boxes/track them on a spreadsheet.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Serious reply two:

Throw it away. Yes, I know some of your stuff is fine and worth money and/or could be donated, etc.

Your peace of mind is worth more.

Throw it away.
Nowadays some collections can be worth up to 5 zeros and are you really advising him to throw everything in the garbage?

That money could easily be reinvested in buying a house or even just in securing a better economic condition for his family: as well as being recycled honestly into investments, that are sometimes needed to expand/modify one's work activity.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Banana boxes from the supermarket are a packing/moving secret weapon.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nowadays some collections can be worth up to 5 zeros and are you really advising him to throw everything in the garbage?

That money could easily be reinvested in buying a house or even just in securing a better economic condition for his family: as well as being recycled honestly into investments, that are sometimes needed to expand/modify one's work activity.

Most “collections” are garbage. Period.

None are financial investments. That’s absolutely ludicrous.

No one wants your cum stained big tit anime statue collection.

I recommend throwing away the things that don’t truly have value. But your Nintendo Wii Waggle Control Shovelware collection? Yes, throw it away. No one will lament its loss. Your collection of greatest hits games still retailing NIB for $10? Throw it away.

Same goes for household stuff - if you have a dozen pans, a dozen pots, get rid od then. You simply don’t need that many u less you’re a prolific cook.

We tend to acquire garbage.

Purge it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
D U M P S T E R
Yeah. People really do need to start having the mentality that a large percentage of the stuff they own is junk. I'm not talking about throwing nice high end collectables in the trash but hobbies tend to accumulate a lot of extra shit. About a year ago I chucked so much stuff that was sitting around and 90% of it was stuff like old controllers, cords, packaging, figures and models that were broken or just not worth displaying. Lots of old electronics that went to the recycling center.

If it's not worth selling and nobody you know wants it then throw it away.

Edit: I wouldn't go quite as extreme as Duf said above but close.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Thank you guys so far for all the recommendations. I really do appreciate it and will consider all options. Luckily A lot of people over the years owe me for helping them move so I'm hoping I have some help. Craig is gonna help me move my cab which is a major help. I'm gonna do everything in a small Uhaul to save some money.