Moving Is Going To Be Insane.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So moving to a new place. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. The realization of how many games, consoles, arcade machine, collectibles I have to pack and move is crazy. Like where the hell am I going to get enough bubble wrap. and on top of that I need a trillion baggies for action figures out the butt. I got less than a month and I'm sweating. Any suggestions from people who have moved large collections? Any advice serious, funny, or dumb is appreciated.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
UnderPay poor kids with beer & pizza to do most of the work for you

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I did this just less than a year ago and it's doable with some creativity.

If your shelves are sturdy enough, use furniture wrap to wrap the games within the shelves and move it as one unit. Use some clothes to fill in the gaps to minimize movement and, when you get to the new spot, just unwrap and all your games are already there.

I also used record boxes to move more delicate stuff as well as all my vinyl, while using the kallax shelves to pack full of smaller boxes that can take more of a hit. I'm telling you, plastic furniture wrap is your friend.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I did this just less than a year ago and it's doable with some creativity.

If your shelves are sturdy enough, use furniture wrap to wrap the games within the shelves and move it as one unit. Use some clothes to fill in the gaps to minimize movement and, when you get to the new spot, just unwrap and all your games are already there.

I also used record boxes to move more delicate stuff as well as all my vinyl, while using the kallax shelves to pack full of smaller boxes that can take more of a hit. I'm telling you, plastic furniture wrap is your friend.
Super good suggestion.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
We received an offer on our house Halloween of 2018, they wanted to close at the end of Nov...so we too had one month to get out.

Having lived there for 14 years, we amassed a ton of shit, so it too was no east task. One thing that I landed up doing was renting a storage unit and putting collectables in large plastic totes, making a run to storage every few days. I'm not sure how far you're moving, but this worked for us pretty well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So moving to a new place. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. The realization of how many games, consoles, arcade machine, collectibles I have to pack and move is crazy. Like where the hell am I going to get enough bubble wrap. and on top of that I need a trillion baggies for action figures out the butt. I got less than a month and I'm sweating. Any suggestions from people who have moved large collections? Any advice serious, funny, or dumb is appreciated.

The serious advice is to take a serious look at your collection and part with some (if not all) of it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Less than a month? Are you working during that time? If yes, time will fly, I can tell you that.

I just went through the whole process myself. Never again. I've been unloading stuff ever since.

One very important thing, don't waste any time, thinking you have enough left to watch TV, play some games or browse the forums. Give yourself at least an extra week to deal with the unforeseen stuff.

I got all the boxes and bubblewrap from my job but there's packing companies around that are selling those at bulk price if you don't have access to this kind of stuff at your job. Just get yourself something like this, it's great for PCBs as well.

UPKEPje.jpg

Another thing, think of the movers as little Karous. You're not going to understand each other as well as you think, so pack the valuable stuff well, very well.

Also, don't waste any time packing useless shit you don't care about, do it last, when everything else is ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Serious reply two:

Throw it away. Yes, I know some of your stuff is fine and worth money and/or could be donated, etc.

Your peace of mind is worth more.

Throw it away.

Seriously, call whoever is in charge of your waste management/trash pickup and have a dumpster brought out to your house. Waste and dumpster space is usually measured in cubic yards and you usually get the dumpster for a week or more. I’d recommend 2 weeks minimum. Get one size bigger than you think you need, unless you’re good about making use of dumpster space (smashing boxes, breaking down larger items, etc.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you don’t hire professionals then at least get a U-Haul. Buy boxes and get them all in a uniform or related size so you can stack them. I personally go for smaller boxes. That way you can get help from physically weaker people.

I won’t even help anyone move who doesn’t get a UHAUL or other large moving truck. I’m not making 200 trips in your fucking compact truck and my Corolla.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Catalog and downsize. Now is the time to have a "Keep" box and a "Let it Go" box. You probably dont have time to sell right now, but make it easy for when you move.

Your collection is actually costing you money, and it's not worth anything until you actually sell it.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you don’t hire professionals then at least get a U-Haul. Buy boxes and get them all in a uniform or related size so you can stack them. I personally go for smaller boxes.

Smaller boxes are a necessity for heavy items. Especially books. Anything bigger than bankers box (or copy paper box) is too big for books.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know guys that spent a whole day to move across town. And that was just the record collection.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Smaller boxes are a necessity for heavy items. Especially books. Anything bigger than bankers box (or copy paper box) is too big for books.

Yep, I made that mistake when I moved like 12 years ago. Never again. Next time I moved I used a lot of 12” x 12” boxes.

On this topic: moving is expensive. Buy fucking boxes. Don’t be a god damned beggar asking people for boxes. Go buy them.

In fact I’d say if you get help the only thing it should be for is putting your already packed boxes in a truck, moving furniture in to the truck, and then the reverse.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Serious reply two:

Throw it away. Yes, I know some of your stuff is fine and worth money and/or could be donated, etc.

Your peace of mind is worth more.

Throw it away.

Seriously, call whoever is in charge of your waste management/trash pickup and have a dumpster brought out to your house. Waste and dumpster space is usually measured in cubic yards and you usually get the dumpster for a week or more. I’d recommend 2 weeks minimum. Get one size bigger than you think you need, unless you’re good about making use of dumpster space (smashing boxes, breaking down larger items, etc.)
I recently did a massive purge. I'm pretty much down to the stuff I want to keep.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think Sneth had the best answer: make “to sell” boxes.

But if he did pare down his collection, nice!

Might be worth it for professional movers to move the cabs. Maybe put them in your garage and have them offloaded also in your new garage during moving day? Make it easy and less likely for them to damage.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
At least sell some of it.

If it worries you that much, maybe that in itself is reason to downsize your collection.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I used moving as a jumpstart to selling off more of my stuff. Truth be told, I had begun downsizing years before I moved, but moving allowed me to really get things in containers that made the easier to document and sell after the move.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lol @ all the salty angry faces on my post about throwing shit away.

Send all your creepy anime futa waifu dolls to Master Tasuke or throw that shit in the trash.

What is the executor of your will going to think when he has to sell your big titted porcelain anime statues and your Poison real doll?