Arcade1up better than real cabs?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I saw big blue and got all excited thinking you were all talking about the other big blue...

Attachments

• 1625177247866.png
    1625177247866.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 15

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't understand why SNK went blue with the MVS in other territories.

But what I don't understand more is why the US didn't get Blue ones. I love the Big Red, but that Blue MVS its pretty much tiddies.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Well the good thing about the BB is that it does have a good games list, but yeah that is just beyond what I am willing to spend on these.

I’m actually in the process of modding my Marvel cab into a vertical shmup one. Bought a new bezel and started buying parts for it. I’m doing a pc mod since you can now emulate pretty much every Cave shmup. I’ll throw some other verts in there as well with a nice big box front end.

Depending on how that goes, i’ll probably mod the Street Fighter next for fighting games, then my TMNT for 3-4 player beat em ups, and lastly my AFM pinball for all the zen games, maybe vpx etc.

After that, I think I am done w/ A1up. I do want a racing set up and gun set up, but I think I will do those as separate non-A1Up pc builds.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Well X-men the arcade just went up for preorder.

Another $600 machine. I guess that is the new norm for them. Yowza...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Well X-men the arcade just went up for preorder.

Another $600 machine. I guess that is the new norm for them. Yowza...
Its actually $700

Add shipping and tax, this is a $800 cab. Hilarious

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
lol idiocy.

I mean what's different about the cab itself from the first NBA Jam or TMNT? Wifi? Does XMen even have or need wifi? And is that worth another $300? They lost they damn minds.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
If the game was the dual screen 6 player version, I'd give it a glance but not the 4 player version. Besides, Captain America and the Avengers was a better 4 player than X-Men.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Honestly $300 was pushing it for these but prices are just getting nuts now. I did pay $600 for Attack from Mars which I know was way too much (although I did use $100 BB gift card so I guess $500), but the nostalgia hit me hard on that and i do feel the build quality on the pinballs feels more solid than the arcade machines (though lacking in other areas).

Arcade1up had some decent success and built up quite a following in a short time, but I dont see how anybody could be excited for their machines at these prices. i think they are going to lose alot of their fanbase at these price points.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
If the game was the dual screen 6 player version, I'd give it a glance but not the 4 player version. Besides, Captain America and the Avengers was a better 4 player than X-Men.
i dont disagree with this. Honestly I feel X-Men was one of Konami's weaker 4 player games...that and the Simpsons (which Arcade1Up is also releasing).

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
i dont disagree with this. Honestly I feel X-Men was one of Konami's weaker 4 player games...that and the Simpsons (which Arcade1Up is also releasing).
Honestly I love the Simpsons because I always played the cab when I saw it at the time, and loved the show itself back then. I will say the game itself is pretty overrated though.

I do think X Men is better and that cab was quite something when it was released, our local at the time Pocket Change had the six player cab.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Honestly I love the Simpsons because I always played the cab when I saw it at the time, and loved the show itself back then. I will say the game itself is pretty overrated though.

I do think X Men is better and that cab was quite something when it was released, our local at the time Pocket Change had the six player cab.
The one game play aspect of The Simpsons I find better than the other Konami multiplayer games was that two players can team up as one superplayer and go to town against the enemies. Example: Bart and Lisa combined has them hold hands and clothesline everyone for a brief time. That was kind of unique amongst the games for its time.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I don’t dislike Simpsons or X-Men, but for me I used to much prefer (and still do :D) both Turtles games, Sunset Riders and Ninja Warriors. It’s a shame I never got to play GI Joe in the arcade...sure that would have been a pretty memorable experience....

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The one game play aspect of The Simpsons I find better than the other Konami multiplayer games was that two players can team up as one superplayer and go to town against the enemies. Example: Bart and Lisa combined has them hold hands and clothesline everyone for a brief time. That was kind of unique amongst the games for its time.
This mechanic was adopted by IGS for the Oriental Legend games, to great effect. Such a cool mechanic, and my favorite part of the Simpsons game!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I remember a time when you could get an xmen 4p cab for $600.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I remember a time when you could get an xmen 4p cab for $600.
I went to an Auction in Texas years ago. Shit you not man- there was a two screen, 6 player Xmen behemoth, and it went for something like $50. I remember standing there and NO one was bidding. Guy started it at like 150, and no takers. 100, no takers. I didnt want it because I didnt have the room nor 5 other people I liked enough to play it with. I walked away and a second or two I heard "sold".

For real. No one wanted that thing because it was too big. Now? I bet that thing sells for like 5 or 6k.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I went to an Auction in Texas years ago. Shit you not man- there was a two screen, 6 player Xmen behemoth, and it went for something like $50. I remember standing there and NO one was bidding. Guy started it at like 150, and no takers. 100, no takers. I didnt want it because I didnt have the room nor 5 other people I liked enough to play it with. I walked away and a second or two I heard "sold".

For real. No one wanted that thing because it was too big. Now? I bet that thing sells for like 5 or 6k.
bro

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So looks like they are making. Terminator 2 machine. Aside from the $700 price tag the main issue is I don’t think a gun game would be enjoyable on a 17 in monitor....even if the guns are not mounted.

I like that the they are making this but too many negatives, so another pass...

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So looks like they are making. Terminator 2 machine. Aside from the $700 price tag the main issue is I don’t think a gun game would be enjoyable on a 17 in monitor....even if the guns are not mounted.

I like that the they are making this but too many negatives, so another pass...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I’ve dug my heels deep into this new “home arcade hobby.” over the past year or so. (Warning : long post)

When I first saw these in Walmart around launch, I dismissed them. Pint-sized, Street fighter clones? Cool, but I wasn’t interested at all. My basement wasn’t finished either and I had no space. Fast forward a year or so to 2019, before the pandemic and TMNT dropped. I was very interested and got it at Walmart. I was dealing with my Dad and personal stuff around that time, and couldn’t put it together, so I kept it in the box for half a year or so. Flash forward to 2021, I’ve owned 9 of them in total, trading or selling 3 of them along the way. They multiply like gremlins. I own TMNT, Golden Axe, Star Wars, Burgertime, Ms. PAC Man cocktail, Attack From Mars. I’ve owned Golden Tee, MvC, and Outrun, either selling them or trading them. They take me an average of 2 hours to put them together without power tools. Think of it like advanced placement IKEA. Hard to put together, but not impossible. Their build quality isn’t the greatest, but if it’s just you and your family or buddies, it works fine. I also own a custom pi made to look like a Neo Geo with over 2k arcade games, including all Neo Geo games. It runs PGM , Cave, psikyo, and IG stuff.

Overall thoughts on Arcade 1ups:
Pros:
-Gives you the real arcade feel, even though they’re 3/4 scale
-easy to mod if you’re into that, with an active modding community (check out Kongs r us on YouTube)
-If you’re into these, you’re getting on the ground floor of a new movement in retro gaming.
-Easy to move around
-Less footprint for people with limited space
-parts are easier to get and swap out vs OG arcade games
-WiFi with stable connections, free and lots of players (on MvC at least)
-Growing community of collectors and players on Facebook and Reddit
-Quite a few personalities covering them on YouTube
-Sell fast used and for close to (or often times more) on secondary markets like Facebook marketplace, Reddit, OfferUp, and Craigslist.
-Themed cabinets with multiple games
-will probably be collectible, they usually sell out in hours.

Cons
-Build quality doesn’t hold up or compare to OG cabs
-price spikes in recent months up to 40% pricing them out of range as “affordable arcades at home”
-only a small handful have WiFi play or for updates. You have to have a PC and flash them. (Can’t use a Mac)
-4 player cabs are pretty tight for 4 adults
-Company’s terrible at communication
-Customer service used to be bad, it’s gotten slightly better.
-known issues and bugs in early gen 1 games and Attack from Mars. A patch is coming, but you need a PS4 controller cable and a PC.
-inconsistent variants with little communication about when and where to get them. (Super pac man at Costco for example).
-Pre orders sell out very fast - the FOMO is strong with this one.
-Cabs can be very limited and disappear, never to be reprinted (Star Wars, TMNT, and Burgertime are examples) and skyrocket in price
-Can be pitas to put together

Check them out, especially anything 2019 and newer. You might be surprised. Arcade purists might think they’re posuer cabs, but they’re making them better each year.

Without going too much into detail, they’re competitors are Atgames, which is more of an engineering company that makes kitchen sink products like a commercial multicade called the legends ultimate than relys on roms snd coinopsx. A 4 player deck is coming soon. And Legends pinball, which is light on licensed games, but big on value with expandibility and features like 1080p display, weekly wifi updates, DLC, and leaderboards. If you $ or space for only 1 v pin, this is the one to get.
Then there’s unico, which makes the MVSX. Think of it as if arcade 1up made a Neo cab. With 50 games, most of them fighters, and coming in at a lower price than most new 1ups, it’s s better value than most 1ups. I don’t have it, (a friend does) but it plays well, but has small real estate for your hands, and with the hylo stick hack, play the entire library of Neo games.

Then there’s the iiRcade. It’s a commercial multicade with WiFi and DLC. It has Sega and data East, and dotemu on board for licenses. It plays modern games as well as classics. It is said to be well built with sanwa sticks and buttons and 100 watt sound. It has a variety of designs, ranging from double dragon to dragons lair.
That’s about all all I have to say for now. I have X-men on order from Target and space ace iiRcade coming in the next few months.View attachment 51471D80D0558-5A71-42FD-A1C2-F2015BC450FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 35BAD74E-41A8-4E41-9050-A664C2A6AF3B.jpeg
    35BAD74E-41A8-4E41-9050-A664C2A6AF3B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Nice setup Greg!

I have 4 machines now and I have to say, despite its flaws, I think the AFM might be my kids and mine favorite...it definitely gets the most play recently. I also have Marvel Super Heroes, Capcom Legacy and TMNT.

X-Men looks nice, but too much for me. Were you able to get the order in at $599 before they bumped the price to $699? Hope you got that red cad for the 5% off :vik:

What are your thoughts on Terminator 2? Truthfully I like it but don’t think I can pull the trigger on it at $700. Looks like it may be coming out in Dec.