What records are you listening to tonight?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
What a phenomenal cover!
It is. If there are any Deftones fan here, listen to Slip Away from the album above (Bandolier) then listen to Teenager from White Pony. Deftones straight stole that!

B809C2C7-E430-422F-B48E-353D6CEF0AA0.jpeg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey, fuck me cuz I'm just some uncultured savage - but how do you all listen to these records? Talk more about the process instead of just jacking each other off on what records you have.

Fuck me I'll get wasted and just listen to something on youtube. Maybe you all have something more sophisticated.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Hey, fuck me cuz I'm just some uncultured savage - but how do you all listen to these records? Talk more about the process instead of just jacking each other off on what records you have.

Fuck me I'll get wasted and just listen to something on youtube. Maybe you all have something more sophisticated.
Usually we use record players.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Real talk, i use a turntable hooked up to a small preamp to some bookshelf speakers. I know some of our peers here probably have some bomb receivers and standing monitors, and that's assuming they don't use headphones to listen to them in a music room

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

You usually need a halfway decent amp/reeceiver and a phono pre-amp. Some of the cheaper turntables you see with USB also have a built in pre-amp but they're usually garbage. A lot of the older amps also have a dedicated phono stage.

You can get a nice entry level turntable and stereo setup for a few hundred dollars.

Actually the wealthy Chinese seem to have a thing for tube amps and there are quite a few made in China that are pretty competitive price and sound wise with stuff made in the US and EU. The build quality and components are still of dubious quality and they'll never have the prestige of owning something like McKintosh gear. Also they seem to be more concerned with the aesthetics of owning a high end stereo than the actual product. So you see a lot of shit like this:

Reisong-A10-EL34-Hi-Fi-Audio-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-1024x761.jpg

Last edited:

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
You usually need a halfway decent amp/reeceiver and a phono pre-amp. Some of the cheaper turntables you see with USB also have a built in pre-amp but they're usually garbage. A lot of the older amps also have a dedicated phono stage.

You can get a nice entry level turntable and stereo setup for a few hundred dollars.

Actually the wealthy Chinese seem to have a thing for tube amps and there are quite a few made in China that are pretty competitive price and sound wise with stuff made in the US and EU. The build quality and components are still of dubious quality and they'll never have the prestige of owning something like McKintosh gear. Also they seem to be more concerned with the aesthetics of owning a high end stereo than the actual product. So you see a lot of shit like this:

View attachment 51082
That's pretentious, but those tube preamps are getting more and more common. I have the Rolls VP29 as my main preamp until I can find a decent CD player to hook up to my Marantz receiver. It's in storage somewhere. The preamp is small and can be tucked away, but has surprisingly decent sound quality for a $50 preamp