$1500?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
In a facebook group, Yaton posted that some candies can be shipped from China. $700 for the cab and $800 for shipping to my door.

Is that seriously the going rate? I guess 7 bills for an Astro isn't bad, but - more than the cab for shipping? And it will take like 4-5 months to get here?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Buying MVS carts from Yaton was enough of a gamble for me. I wouldn't recommend buying a cab from him. There's way too many things that could go wrong. You better try to get one locally for that price.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oh I definitely wouldn't pay that much, I was just shocked and appalled that he/they want $800 for shipping.

Im keeping my eyes out locally for sure. It's not like a super-priority to find one (plus I honestly dont think the wife would be too happy about it) but if I found one for a good (read: not insanely inflated) price, I'd probably go after it.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I'll admit, I actually rolled the dice last month and I got a cab on the way from Yaton. Obviously if I had better options I'd have taken them, but there isn't anything at all in the Canadian Prairies so I kinda resigned myself to have to bring it in from somewhere myself, and Yaton's was easily the most affordable all things considered. For reference, freight within the country just from the coast to where I'm at costs almost $700 alone, so $800 straight to my door from another country isn't that bad at all, especially with taxes included. You freedom lovers have way more options so it definitely makes less sense for y'all, though I feel like unless you know a guy with a homie hookup or trip over one in a warehouse, sub 1k candies aren't a thing anymore.

I'll probably make a thread about it if anyone's curious, since before I bought one I wished I saw more testimonials of what other buyers actually got. I'm totally expecting a player's cab, which is fine with me, I just want to stop scratching up my Blast every time I TATE it. Every cab he's got has the control panel side crack, so it's a repair you WILL have to make, and I'm expecting a shitty paintjob that's hopefully not TOO shitty to bother me. Comes with supposedly burn-free MS8, and he'll toss in a spare chassis for a good price if you want one. I was worried about extra fees for import and looked into the freight company he's using and his story checks out (all-inclusive tax free to-door service in North America). Personally, I'm comfortable with cabs enough to not stress too much over the details as long as it's not falling apart, and I'm going to recap the PSU and Monitor as soon as I get it and look over the structure/wiring before plugging anything into it. And yes, it'll probably not be here 'till July. If none of that sounds fun to you then I'd most certainly look elsewhere

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yep. Been trying to get a cab for a year and a half. Can't find anything that checks off my boxes. That price doesn't surprise me.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I got two Blast City cabs last summer locally. The guy imports them and was charging $1,350 for one, $1,500 for an Astro city, various other candy cabs for well above those prices. Everybody is after these things the last couple years. Yaton's price is about the going rate, if not a little less. It's basically the same story for every cab. More often than not, you're paying for the shipping, not the actual cab.

You might also check with KC on Arcade-Projects. I imagine he has something for around the same price, possibly. I got a Vewlix from him at the end of last year, and his prices were ok. There was rat shit in it (I don't believe the rat was in it), so there is that.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I got two Blast City cabs last summer locally. The guy imports them and was charging $1,350 for one, $1,500 for an Astro city, various other candy cabs for well above those prices. Everybody is after these things the last couple years. Yaton's price is about the going rate, if not a little less. It's basically the same story for every cab. More often than not, you're paying for the shipping, not the actual cab.

You might also check with KC on Arcade-Projects. I imagine he has something for around the same price, possibly. I got a Vewlix from him at the end of last year, and his prices were ok. There was rat shit in it (I don't believe the rat was in it), so there is that.
Someone over on AP is in a dispute with KC over a bad deal, lol. I feel like there's no good source, everything's a gamble. I've heard a fair bit of shade on KC and Yaton, but you're stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to find cabs in the current market. I'd be put off if I found any animal's dump in my cab, though. :lolz:

Ajax

15 Year Member
You know, you take the rat shit with the Vewlix, as they say. It’s an old saying.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've already accepted the fact that I missed out. I doubt I'll ever get the candy cab of my dreams.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Roker you're been here since 2003.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Roker you're been here since 2003.

Further cementing the reasons why I feel like I came to the party late on this. Back in 2003 it was easier and I had connections, at least I feel that was the case., before the great hoarding of the 2010s transpired.

Ajax

15 Year Member
What is the candy cab of your dreams roker? Let's see what we can do.

In 2005, when I began buying Neo Geo stuff seriously, I got an MVU4 cab for $400. Let that simmer for a minute... I wish I could go back and buy all of them. At least I still have that one.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I've heard people bitch about High Score Girl making weebs run out and scoop cabs and it's shot the price up since 2018. I've definitely seen melvins that got into PCB collecting cause of the show but I wonder if they actually ran out and bought astros enough to make a difference, the machines I bought were all in a post-weeb market

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I've heard people bitch about High Score Girl making weebs run out and scoop cabs and it's shot the price up since 2018. I've definitely seen melvins that got into PCB collecting cause of the show but I wonder if they actually ran out and bought astros enough to make a difference, the machines I bought were all in a post-weeb market
The people who got into PCB collecting because of Hi Score Girl are probably running their boards on carpet. :lolz:

That show is one of my favorites, though, I won't lie.

I would like a candy cab, but it's difficult to justify with a small gaming space and superguns being as good as they are. Japan really had you covered with whatever space you had available. In one of my 1996 Gamest magazines, there's an ad for a 60,000 yen Mini Cute. There were control box superguns that weren't much cheaper than that, maybe 10,000 yen less if you got a Boardmaster or Vega 9000DX. How times have changed.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
The people who got into PCB collecting because of Hi Score Girl are probably running their boards on carpet. :lolz:

That show is one of my favorites, though, I won't lie.

I appreciate the honesty haha. I watched it like a year ago. I thought it was a cool premise and setting wrapped around a generic anime romance, but I don't regret watching it I guess. It did get me flipping through Gamest scans though

The folks I saw with Ono avatars seemed to stop posting quickly, prolly cause they either couldn't afford anything or had an expensive board croak and bailed on the scene :p

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
What’s the going rate for an Astro 2 or an Egret 2? Curious..

Ajax

15 Year Member
I haven’t seen any kind of Egret cab for sale for a goooooood while. The monitor rotating mechanism seems to make them really desirable. I can’t imagine one going for less than $4k or so now, but who the hell knows.

Last edited:

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I haven’t seen any kind of Egret cab for sale for a goooooood while. The monitor rotating mechanism seems to make them really desirable. I can’t imagine one going for less than $4k or so now, but who the he’ll knows.
Thanks. I’ve been on a hiatus for about 8-9 years or so and am shocked where pricing has gone for candy cabs, classic arcade games and PCBs. .. Really miss the days when my good buddy Matsu imported cabs at reasonable prices.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I would like a candy cab, but it's difficult to justify with a small gaming space and superguns being as good as they are.

The thing is, for me I want the arcade experience. I'm all about using a RasPi, or eventually getting the MiSTerCade. I dont mind not using original software. Emulation isn't an issue for me. But the feeling of playing the game on a real cab is what I'm after. I was lucky to find my Neo25 and even though there have been dry spells where it sits there, off for like a year - I will never sell it. Got it for too good of a deal, and I know I could make a mint on it, but I would regret it immediately.

I used to have a Crowin Case "candy" but sold it because... I have no idea. I would love an AstroCity, or a Neo 29 with 3 exta kick buttons on each side.

Ive had a slew of US cabs, everything from your standard Dynamo Zback, a Big Blue, a 2 slot Big Red, and whatnot. I mean - sure if I had the money I'd buy a full original Killer Instinct US cab. But to me, candies are the way to go. Used to be that you could say "Ah, I'll sell my candy, I can always get another one for like $600 down the road." But apparently that is no longer the case.

I haven't heard of High Score Girl, but if she's anything like MetalJesusRocks on youtube, where any half-witted thing coming out of their mouths can affect/increase the price of one of my hobbies - I'm not gonna be a fan.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The thing is, for me I want the arcade experience. I'm all about using a RasPi, or eventually getting the MiSTerCade. I dont mind not using original software. Emulation isn't an issue for me. But the feeling of playing the game on a real cab is what I'm after. I was lucky to find my Neo25 and even though there have been dry spells where it sits there, off for like a year - I will never sell it. Got it for too good of a deal, and I know I could make a mint on it, but I would regret it immediately.

I used to have a Crowin Case "candy" but sold it because... I have no idea. I would love an AstroCity, or a Neo 29 with 3 exta kick buttons on each side.

Ive had a slew of US cabs, everything from your standard Dynamo Zback, a Big Blue, a 2 slot Big Red, and whatnot. I mean - sure if I had the money I'd buy a full original Killer Instinct US cab. But to me, candies are the way to go. Used to be that you could say "Ah, I'll sell my candy, I can always get another one for like $600 down the road." But apparently that is no longer the case.

I haven't heard of High Score Girl, but if she's anything like MetalJesusRocks on youtube, where any half-witted thing coming out of their mouths can affect/increase the price of one of my hobbies - I'm not gonna be a fan.
We’re reversed, haha. For me personally, owning a cab and then using anything emulation related in it ruins the experience. Are you really getting the true, genuine experience when you don’t have the original, authentic PCB running in it? For example, the Battle Garegga soundtrack is one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time. Knowing that what I’m hearing is being generated by a real Yamaha YM2151 FM synth chip is part of the experience. I’d rather own the actual carts and boards, knowing the game and gameplay is exactly how it should be, than having a cab just to use an emulation solution. It feels dirty to me, to own an actual cab, and just emulate the game, lol. For the *perfect* arcade experience, both are required.

Hi Score Girl is an anime, dude. :lolz: It’s a good ode to the arcade scene of the early to mid 90s, wrapped up in a predictable but cute anime romance. Might not appeal totally to all you old tymers, but I dig it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I used to want the arcade experience. Then I remembered that a large part of that is the game being relevant to a larger crowd of people, in a public space, and having to put tokens with little engravings of PacMan on them for $$$.

the Neo Geo meetup I went to at wc's place was probably the closest I've gotten to that "arcade experience" outside of real arcades. You got to meet the vets and learn new shit about everything & everyone, you get to ignore any beef and embrace the atmosphere, you get to watch lots of other people who are actually interested in the games doing their thing -- if I had a cab in my house I'd never play it. It somehow feels more "authentic" to just play a PS1/Saturn port on a nice CRT with a 3rd party arcade stick and wait for the public gatherings and the arcade machines when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get others wanting to have a cab. I agree with diggy-kiddo though in that you better go REAL or not go at alll. Emulating anything in a cabinet is fucked up. Reminds me of that awesome thread around here with all the Mame machine pics.... i bet a lot of them images are broke now :/

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I'm with HornheaDD on this one, I like playing on a cab because it's like the optimal way to play my games without worrying about it - a big ol screen with arcade controls in front of it, and you plop a quarter in. Lets me get in the "zone" and just play without pulling out my supergun setup. It's basically a nice CRT stand lol. If I had a better supergun setup it might not bother me as much but it feels like a compromise regardless.

And I LOVE PCBs, the idea of hardware being designed and built to run one specific game is fascinating to me, but I've been consciously working on not being one of those wieners who complains about authenticity in the arcade space, like those guys that complain about input lag but don't play anything at any competent level. I'm not a superplayer that thinks I can tell the difference between a good emulation or re-implementation of a game and the real thing for the majority of games and I bet most aren't either, so people end up complaining about a vague emotional response of "it doesn't feel right" to them, which is fair, we're all chasing some sort of nostalgia. I try not to judge as long as they're actually playing their games or using their cabinets lol

My biggest pet peeve is those guys that turn on all 6 of their cabs and take instagram photoshoots in blacklight but never really talk about the games

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
BEFE9DAD-F40B-4248-8336-2F61FDA38929.jpegFE92E2F9-F626-42CC-8283-264A99004AA1.jpeg9EC6BA88-2DB4-4D51-8F99-9C45E8B6EFB5.jpeg58EA4351-6F0C-45DC-B853-F044D936A26A.jpeg070F666F-7FD0-426C-ACFA-E5AD8B7F1736.jpeg99AF60E5-7AD7-4F91-B145-EE1E37D9B733.jpegI’m a big proponent of original games. Sadly, it seems the prices have skyrocketed, and people are hanging onto them, making them difficult to obtain... whereas they used to be readily available on Craigslist and the forums. If anyone is in SoCal, please keep an eye for when I host a meet again :)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'm with HornheaDD on this one, I like playing on a cab because it's like the optimal way to play my games without worrying about it - a big ol screen with arcade controls in front of it, and you plop a quarter in. Lets me get in the "zone" and just play without pulling out my supergun setup. It's basically a nice CRT stand lol. If I had a better supergun setup it might not bother me as much but it feels like a compromise regardless.

And I LOVE PCBs, the idea of hardware being designed and built to run one specific game is fascinating to me, but I've been consciously working on not being one of those wieners who complains about authenticity in the arcade space, like those guys that complain about input lag but don't play anything at any competent level. I'm not a superplayer that thinks I can tell the difference between a good emulation or re-implementation of a game and the real thing for the majority of games and I bet most aren't either, so people end up complaining about a vague emotional response of "it doesn't feel right" to them, which is fair, we're all chasing some sort of nostalgia. I try not to judge as long as they're actually playing their games or using their cabinets lol

My biggest pet peeve is those guys that turn on all 6 of their cabs and take instagram photoshoots in blacklight but never really talk about the games
Or these dingdongs that put LEDs in every possible crevice and button lol

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

You mean like this? I think i sold my Blast City for less than $900 locally this year. Its been at my friends gaming shop for awhile now and i just didn't have the room.152515750_969668453588514_1753981854705170880_n.jpg