Super Neo 29 Type 2 Frame Issues

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
This is a weird one. I just got in this cab, was crazy excited. In exploring the cab last night I wanted to check out the chassis and neckboard as the monitor has just a bit of vertical collapse that I need to diagnose. But, the monitor door was somehow (this makes no logical sense) wedged in between the cab frame and the monitor cage rather than sitting outside of the frame with the lock supporting it like the PCB door.

I have NO idea how the seller got the door in this position at all - it makes absolutely no sense. Before I raise a fit with the seller, has anyone encountered this before and have a solution on how to unwedge the door? You can't even take apart the cab without first accessing the bolts and screws inside of the cab that can only be reached through this opening. I'm absolutely at my wits end.

Thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Take off the control panel and then from the PCB door do a reach around and unscrew the top section of the cab. You'll be flying blind but it can be done.

Remove the monitor and then unscrew the locked tab on the cylinder lock. You should be able to pull the door out like you did the monitor.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Take off the control panel and then from the PCB door do a reach around and unscrew the top section of the cab. You'll be flying blind but it can be done.

Remove the monitor and then unscrew the locked tab on the cylinder lock. You should be able to pull the door out like you did the monitor.

Thanks for the tip! I'll see what I can do and report back.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member

Well, I can't easily remove the CP without first removing the monitor bezel, which I can't remove. The bezel has three screws on each side of the monitor that hold it in. I can reach the left side screws from the PCB door, but since the monitor cage sits to the right side of the cab, I don't have enough reach to get the second and third screws on that side. Am I missing something?

Here's what I mean (this is from a restore thread I found on the AP forums - this isn't my cab). There are three screws around the coin mech on the right side and three more along the front side of the cab (can't see them in the pic) that are inaccessible even from the inside as the bezel sits too close on top of that area to get a screw driver of any size in the space. I also can't unplug the jamma connections for the controls on the inside with the bezel in.
adfgaefdg.jpg

This is a really awful cab design - seems like everything hinges (pun intended) on the backdoor being functional. 😤

Additional thoughts? Heh, I'm just striking out lately. lol

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's as if someone has pulled the cabinet apart and wedged the back door between the rear and side frames of the cab...

WHAT KIND OF MONSTER DOES THIS!

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Looks like a job for a crowbar on the backside.....
BB
Thanks, BB. Got a pry bar and a mallet yesterday just in case. Talking to Ken now to try to get at least a partial refund. No matter how you shake it, I'm going to have to bend the frame a bit. Thankfully it's in the back, but still unsightly and I'll never be able to pound it back into shape perfectly. Dems the breaks.

Suppose it's not half as bad as the jobs people get sent from blind west-coast buys. 🙄 (trying to have a glass half full kinda day)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I guess you won't see it when you're playing on it.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Looks to me like it had a big whack on the back in transit, I used to own one of these cabs and the steel is pretty thin on these panels.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Just an update. Got the monitor door off earlier in the week - had to bend the lip that holds the door in place on one side, but it didn't destroy the frame and the door still functions fine. Thank god.

But, the chassis needs repaired. I was aware it had a previous issue that was fixed by PNL out in California prior to purchase, and it was thankfully still under their warranty, so Ken set up the repair return and is paying for shipping and any additional costs it will take to repair the chassis.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Just an update. Got the monitor door off earlier in the week - had to bend the lip that holds the door in place on one side, but it didn't destroy the frame and the door still functions fine. Thank god.

But, the chassis needs repaired. I was aware it had a previous issue that was fixed by PNL out in California prior to purchase, and it was thankfully still under their warranty, so Ken set up the repair return and is paying for shipping and any additional costs it will take to repair the chassis.

Glad it's all working out and yeah..it's a good thing this is all taking place on the back side of the cab as well...
BB