MV-4F - hissing

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive got some noticeable hissing, even with low (or 0) volume on my 4 slot. It's definitely not the cab's speakers, as when other boards are plugged in, there is zero hiss.

I'm not sure what could cause this, or if it's an easy repair. Im at work so I can tear it apart and take pics but I can later this evening if anyone needs info.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Does it change at all if you adjust the volume slider?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Does it change at all if you adjust the volume slider?
Actually, yes it does. I didnt realize it until just now. If I slide it to higher volume, the hiss gets louder. Not necessarily more intense, just like.. im raising the volume on the hiss lol

zed7

n00b
Would you be able to supply a video? I believe that could help others figure out your issue. If you have an smkdan diag. bios or cartridge, i'd try that out

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Actually, yes it does. I didnt realize it until just now. If I slide it to higher volume, the hiss gets louder. Not necessarily more intense, just like.. im raising the volume on the hiss lol
I was thinking maybe it was the volume slider, I've had a couple that introduce noise when in certain spots. A bit of cleaning and lubrication tends to fix it. But if it's a constant uplift in the volume of the noise with the slider it's just amplifying whatever is introducing the noise.

Maybe bad caps? I'm certainly no expert.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I was thinking maybe it was the volume slider, I've had a couple that introduce noise when in certain spots. A bit of cleaning and lubrication tends to fix it. But if it's a constant uplift in the volume of the noise with the slider it's just amplifying whatever is introducing the noise.

Maybe bad caps? I'm certainly no expert.
For sure, I'll try to get some later today, if not I'll have to wait til after work.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
:(

I am totally not a solderer. If I do that I guarantee I'll ruin my board.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:(

I am totally not a solderer. If I do that I guarantee I'll ruin my board.
Maybe there is someone you can ship off the bottom board to? Even if you are good with an iron these boards are a pain in the ass to cap.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Maybe there is someone you can ship off the bottom board to? Even if you are good with an iron these boards are a pain in the ass to cap.
Seconded. Old SNK solder pads have a habit of lifting easily, so I’d see if a forum member here can give you the homie hookup on getting this sorted out. Maybe Big Bear can help you out? I know he’s rock solid at repairs.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I sent a quote request to ChannelManiac at arcade components.com

I guess we'll see what happens there :/