Neo Geo games you never bothered playing...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Hot take: Pleasure Goal is the best football/soccer game on the Neo. Best arcade feeling out of any of the Neo football offerings.

There ain’t a neogeo game in existence that I can’t get lost in and enjoy (Pleasure Goal included), but I gotta strongly disagree with this statement right here, brother :lolz:

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There ain’t a neogeo game in existence that I can’t get lost in and enjoy (Pleasure Goal included), but I gotta strongly disagree with this statement right here, brother :lolz:

I don't like soccer/football games. Pleasure Goal is the only one where I actually enjoy playing it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't like soccer/football games. Pleasure Goal is the only one where I actually enjoy playing it.

It’s all good brother :buttrock: Nothing wrong at all with playing what we enjoy.

Since Soccer Brawl is a bit of an oddity, out of curiosity, what do you favor mechanically about the Saurus title compared to what was on offer in Ultimate 11, Sidekicks 3/Neo Geo Cup 98, Goal!Goal!Goal!, or Tecmo World Soccer 96?

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I have played through Stakes Winner, it is a very short (and boring) game.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It’s all good brother :buttrock: Nothing wrong at all with playing what we enjoy.

Since Soccer Brawl is a bit of an oddity, out of curiosity, what do you favor mechanically about the Saurus title compared to what was on offer in Ultimate 11, Sidekicks 3/Neo Geo Cup 98, Goal!Goal!Goal!, or Tecmo World Soccer 96?

For sure! I didn't mean to come off as stern about it, but it's just the truth, lol.

I like how they make the pitch smaller in Pleasure Goal, but the character sprites are still of a good size. It takes less time to drive down to the goal and you have more players in close proximity to the ball. Its scaled down soccer, which works really well for an arcade title in my opinion. The Super Sidekicks series plays slower than Pleasure Goal, and for someone who's not into the sport, that's a negative IMO. I can set the game time to be shorter than an SS game and still get a good amount of goals in. It's a better game than what most people give it credit for.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Legend Of Success Joe
Blues Journey
Top Players Golf
League Bowling
and all those Japanese Mahjong games.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Post this list in a new thread, and ask us which one is our favorite
Also, i apologize for insulting you before. Ive had a rough go with family problems and am just not feeling well. I dont mean any harm and im sorry if i get on your nerves.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
For sure! I didn't mean to come off as stern about it, but it's just the truth, lol.

I like how they make the pitch smaller in Pleasure Goal, but the character sprites are still of a good size. It takes less time to drive down to the goal and you have more players in close proximity to the ball. Its scaled down soccer, which works really well for an arcade title in my opinion. The Super Sidekicks series plays slower than Pleasure Goal, and for someone who's not into the sport, that's a negative IMO. I can set the game time to be shorter than an SS game and still get a good amount of goals in. It's a better game than what most people give it credit for.

I see what you are saying and I like this game too. However You want soccer to be basketball, it sounds like. All that stuff between the goals IS the game. It’s meant to be enjoyed, not skipped over
AlaoD

I also like Pleasure Goal quite a bit but I have to say:

1) More goals is only fun if you think all the stuff in between is as pointless as it is in basketball. SSK3 is about brutalizing the other players and taking the ball by force. Scoring is just icing on the cake.

2) You probably haven’t seen high level Super Sidekicks 3 play or even looked at the default high scores. 7-4 is not uncommon which considering the short timers is pretty much light speed non-stop scoring. Anything faster is air hockey.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I don't bother with any of the sports games sans Super Baseball 2020. Those have never really been my thing.

Never touched Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer because of....reasons.

The Japanese only quiz/mahjong games because they're in Japanese.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
AlaoD

I also like Pleasure Goal quite a bit but I have to say:

1) More goals is only fun if you think all the stuff in between is as pointless as it is in basketball. SSK3 is about brutalizing the other players and taking the ball by force. Scoring is just icing on the cake.

2) You probably haven’t seen high level Super Sidekicks 3 play or even looked at the default high scores. 7-4 is not uncommon which considering the short timers is pretty much light speed non-stop scoring. Anything faster is air hockey.
This.
:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Actually had an urge to fire up Voltage FIghter this weeked, but didn't have time to fuck around with it. I know I played it like once, years ago and it was horrible so I never revisited it.

Maybe I should just leave it be.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wait... People don't like/care about Windjammers and Turf Masters?

What are you even like?!

I actually hate sports games. Outside of Madden 93 on the Genny and NBA Hangtime they have none of my interest.

But WJ and NTM are god tier Neo games.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Actually had an urge to fire up Voltage FIghter this weeked, but didn't have time to fuck around with it. I know I played it like once, years ago and it was horrible so I never revisited it.

Maybe I should just leave it be.
If you’re into mid-90’s fighter shenanigans at all (particularly of the Technos variety), then definitely give it a try:

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Wait... People don't like/care about Windjammers and Turf Masters?

What are you even like?!

I actually hate sports games. Outside of Madden 93 on the Genny and NBA Hangtime they have none of my interest.

But WJ and NTM are god tier Neo games.
Isn't Windjammers just a fancy rendition of pong? I haven't played it but watched videos and the like. Its just never been intriguing to me.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Isn't Windjammers just a fancy rendition of pong? I haven't played it but watched videos and the like. Its just never been intriguing to me.
You have to actually play it, probably with another person. Windjammers is a top 5 Neo game with many people if not #1.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It's an over-simplifcation, but yeah I suppose you can say that. But like SoZ mentioned, it's best played with a friend(s), and some beer. Ive owned the AES and MVS versions and totally regret selling them. I definitely agree it's a top 5 for me.

As for the ones I probably will never play (or played once and will never bother to again):

Most of the sports games
The driving games
Mahjong
Irritating Maze
Nightmare in the Dark
NGDEV games (not a dig at them, but I just prob wont get around to them)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
It's an over-simplifcation, but yeah I suppose you can say that. But like SoZ mentioned, it's best played with a friend(s), and some beer. Ive owned the AES and MVS versions and totally regret selling them. I definitely agree it's a top 5 for me.

As for the ones I probably will never play (or played once and will never bother to again):

Most of the sports games
The driving games
Mahjong
Irritating Maze
Nightmare in the Dark
NGDEV games (not a dig at them, but I just prob wont get around to them)
Gunlord is the only NGDEV game worth trying. Even then, it's only worth the dreamcast price.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If you’re into mid-90’s fighter shenanigans at all (particularly of the Technos variety), then definitely give it a try:
I suppose I'll have to then. Loved Double Dragon. It's one of my NG favs because of how different and weird it is.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I used to play Gowcaizer all the time !
Rock on! :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

I suppose I'll have to then. Loved Double Dragon. It's one of my NG favs because of how different and weird it is.
Hell yeah, being the only other Technos fighter on the console, it has its own feel since it wasn’t lead by Ebinuma Muneki*, but the 2 games share some dna. Even Burnov made a Gowcaizer appearance, though sadly, he wasn’t playable:
7902CB10-A696-490E-9165-B92E74FD26A1.png

Last edited: