Skate or Die - Bad & Rad ... AKA "How did i beat this as a kid?!"

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
download.jpg

So, i had this when it came out almost 30 years ago [looks at calendar] jesus, ok THIRTY years ago. I even remember when and where I bought it.

I also remember playing it over the course of a 2-week vacation and beating it inside and out.

Recently reacquired it and am attempting to play through it again. 2 weeks later and I can barely get past level 2! What in the actual fuck? My reflexes aren't THAT much slower. This game is infuriating! But I somehow remember playing the shit out of it and loving every minute way back when.

Anyone else have older gameboy games you've gone back to and been shocked at how difficult they seem now?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
View attachment 57718Anyone else have older gameboy games you've gone back to and been shocked at how difficult they seem now?

I'm on the same page as you, but namely on Sega MS stuff.

Somethimes we just don't remember that we used cheat modes a lot when kids, just to see how badass an ending was. I've beat Double Dragon and Galaxy Force countless times as a kid. I can't do it now. I was probably cheating back then!

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'm on the same page as you, but namely on Sega MS stuff.

Somethimes we just don't remember that we used cheat modes a lot when kids, just to see how badass an ending was. I've beat Double Dragon and Galaxy Force countless times as a kid. I can't do it now. I was probably cheating back then!

hahah I like how you think. Yes...cheating...i bet I was cheating

I did use codes once in awhile though., mainly on games I'd rent. Now I gotta see if there is a code for Bad & Rad lol

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan - Played this on my cousin's GB back in the day, and fell *just short* of beating it. Got a copy last year, to see if I could finish the game finally, and couldn't even beat a single level.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan - Played this on my cousin's GB back in the day, and fell *just short* of beating it. Got a copy last year, to see if I could finish the game finally, and couldn't even beat a single level.
Dude, that game was ridiculously frustrating even when i was young!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What? TMNT is stupid easy. Most of the enemies just walk straight into your attacks. I still play it on the regular since it's portable comfort food that I can easily walk through. The only difficult thing in the whole game is the Krang fight.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
At least I can go back to Super Mario Land anytime and tear through it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
What? TMNT is stupid easy. Most of the enemies just walk straight into your attacks. I still play it on the regular since it's portable comfort food that I can easily walk through. The only difficult thing in the whole game is the Krang fight.

Guess which part I got stuck on as a kid...

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Gonna be real with you man. As kids we had more time and patience. I’ll bet if you played it straight for a couple of hours it would come back to you. But now, do you have that kind of time, and if you did, would you dump it into a GB game?

I feel you though, trying to go back and clear NG 1 and 2 and I always get hung up on the final bosses.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Gonna be real with you man. As kids we had more time and patience. I’ll bet if you played it straight for a couple of hours it would come back to you. But now, do you have that kind of time, and if you did, would you dump it into a GB game?

I feel you though, trying to go back and clear NG 1 and 2 and I always get hung up on the final bosses.

Yep. This is exactly the thing. I would play it for hours. Now I'm only able to do 5 minutes at a time. My patience is waaaay less now too combined with the time restrictions. Ugh.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

yeah it's really fucking easy. takes about half an hour to beat too.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
yeah it's really fucking easy. takes about half an hour to beat too.
Well my retarded ass cant beat the second TMNT currently, so guess who’s still totally shit at games as an adult!? Ok, maybe ill go try the first TMNT now that the second pissed me off. Havnt played it since i was about 7 years old.

Edit:
Ok made it to level 5 technodrome in one play, yeah i think if i played it again i could beat this. Second one is annoying as fuck though as far as boss battles.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Well my retarded ass cant beat the second TMNT currently, so guess who’s still totally shit at games as an adult!? Ok, maybe ill go try the first TMNT now that the second pissed me off. Havnt played it since i was about 7 years old.

Edit:
Ok made it to level 5 technodrome in one play, yeah i think if i played it again i could beat this. Second one is annoying as fuck though as far as boss battles.

I'm right there with you man

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
There are several games I used to destroy as a kid for Gameboy.

Navy Seals: Yes, I know the game is terrible. It's made by Ocean with the "plum plum, plum plum" music. For some reason, I just practiced at the game and became really good at it. The trick is to strategically use the Sniper attack at certain areas to destroy all the enemies and memorize where the falling pitfalls and ceilings are. Also, this game has 1 hit deaths. Yeah, can't beat this one anymore.

Wizards and Warriors X: Fortress of Fear. It took a long time but, I could usually beat this one. Not dying with the Boots of Jumping, memorizing enemy patterns, and just taking it slow. The 2nd level boss, if you can even call it that, is literally jumping into a skull, which acts as the exit for the level. Died so many times here. The other thing that makes it difficult is that there are ZERO invincibility frames, so enemies can just keep damaging you. Definitely recommend a playthrough, level 4's music is epic, BTW.

Looney Tunes. Really great title by Sunsoft, not many people have heard of this one. There is also a GBC version, same game, otherwise, just in color. Used to be able to destroy this game every time as a kid, not so much now. You only have 3 hearts of life, basically after 2 hits, you're dead. Used to love playing this one as you play as multiple antagonists (Daffy Duck, Speedy Gonzales, Porky Pig, Tweety Bird, Taz, and Bugs Bunny) Porky Pig's level is my favorite. It's a horizontal shmup and really fun.

Yeah, Skate or Die: Bad 'n Rad is really hard. You can definitely tell it was made by the same people that did Castlevania The Adventure. What throws me off is they expect you to fight melee bosses while you roll around on a skateboard. Turning around while doing this is very awkward and forget dodging projectiles. Can't even beat the first level.

Jon

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I can get to stage 4 pretty regularly on Skate or Die - but it get's silly hard. I know I beat the hell out of it multiple times as a kid though