Which 16 bit mortal kombat reigns supreme?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Back in the 90’s I was always a huge mortal kombat fan. Something about scorpion yelling “get over here!” paired with brutal fatalities really set apart this one from other fighters at the time.

As a kid I would of said mortal kombat ii is the best of the best ( as long as you had friends to play against as single player difficulty is extreme even on easy.) Now a days I really enjoy the first game on genesis as well.

What would you say is the best of the best on 16 bit systems?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I would say the first game on Genesis was the best on the 16-bit consoles (if you're not including the Sega CD version). The gameplay was closer to the arcade game than the SNES version.

I didn't like Mortal Kombat II as much. Sub-Zero was weakened so much that he was useless. There were too many moves and fatalities to learn. It wasn't like the first game, where you could just knock someone into the pit with an uppercut.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
MK2 is the best console port. On snes.

MK1 on genesis the experience was scaled down too much, the Snes version well we all know about that (but graphic wise the sprites looked good).

Mk2 on genesis looks ok, but it looks great on snes.

After that, mk3 looks watered down on the 16 bit systems

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Joe- I agree the first game is fantastic in single player especially. The secret fight against reptile was surprising the first time it happened. I do think the second game is even better. It does have flaws and It sucks sub zero was watered down ( I use scorpion but I’ll take your word on it).

Henners- I cant enjoy the third game unfortunately, ultimate mortal kombat 3 helped some of the issues and the character roster was off the chain but I still think the first two games are better. The original snes port of the first game is slow and not half the fun the genesis port is!

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Joe- I agree the first game is fantastic in single player especially. The secret fight against reptile was surprising the first time it happened. I do think the second game is even better. It does have flaws and It sucks sub zero was watered down ( I use scorpion but I’ll take your word on it).

Henners- I cant enjoy the third game unfortunately, ultimate mortal kombat 3 helped some of the issues and the character roster was off the chain but I still think the first two games are better. The original snes port of the first game is slow and not half the fun the genesis port is!

I’m not super big on MK3, at all. UMK3 a little bit.

The SNES version of 2 looks almost on par with the SNES with graphics and how it plays.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I would pick 2 on 32X if its applicable, or 1 on SCD since its still technically 16 bit.. i can live without any of the others.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I still love the Original the most, I liked its simplicity and brutality!

I think MK2 is technically the best but when it comes to battling it out with friends I think UMK3 is the champion due to all the finishers and the rosta.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think I've touched the console versions since they were released. I remember them being quite playable for the time, but I don't think I'd want to go back and confirm. There are so many better ways to play MK now.

The Gameboy and Game Gear ports were extremely playable for the time they were released.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
32x version of MK II is my favorite. I didn't play the PS1 or Saturn versions. I also didn't own a 32x but played a friend's setup. I would call it the 32x's best game hence highlighting everything wrong with the 32x.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
32x version of MK II is my favorite. I didn't play the PS1 or Saturn versions. I also didn't own a 32x buy played a friend's setup. I would call it the 32x's best game hence highlighting everything wrong with the 32x.

I bought a 32x copy on eBay yesterday! Lot of positive feedback about it on here and it's one version I've never played, quite curious to finally try it out.

IIRC I've seen more than one article that says the 32x version's AI is especially punishing- true?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I bought a 32x copy on eBay yesterday! Lot of positive feedback about it on here and it's one version I've never played, quite curious to finally try it out.

IIRC I've seen more than one article that says the 32x version's AI is especially punishing- true?

It is but I've always felt that about MK2 anyway. I can't recall if it's harder than the SNES or Genesis version.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The 32X port of MK II is indeed the best port that isn't just a straight up emulation of the arcade version.

It's among my top 3 uses for the 32X (the other two being Knuckles' Chaotix and simply using it as a pass through to play JPN Mega Drive carts without physically modding anything)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The saturn version of Mortal Kombat II has several flaws (missing voice samples, combos that don't exist in the arcade game, Shang Tsung morph load times).

However, I don't think (all of) these problems are as severe in the Playstation port (which I've still yet to play).

EDIT: Also, Super Famicom version is censored. Green blood! Check out the fatality at 3:41.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The saturn version of Mortal Kombat II has several flaws (missing voice samples, combos that don't exist in the arcade game, Shang Tsung morph load times).

However, I don't think (all of) these problems are as severe in the Playstation port (which I've still yet to play).

EDIT: Also, Super Famicom version is censored. Green blood! Check out the fatality at 3:41.

That was some kill bill 1 type shit with going to bw

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm going with Genesis MKI. It was a solid game, and you could actually use it to practice for the arcade. I remember preordering it through Radio Shack....

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Sega CD MK1 is best. It’s essentially the Genesis version with improvements.

32X MK2 is best. It’s essentially the Genesis version with improved colours and more complete sounds.

Avoid the Nintendo versions. Censored (MK1), small sprites, less animation and horrible sound.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

The PS1 version of MK2 is also censored.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PC port best, dunno if it can be considered 16-bit tho.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I was happy enough with the SNES MK2 port, still have it around somewhere.

I can't gauge the other ports though. I stuck with NES/SNES and moved on to PS1/PS2 during 16/32-bit console wars. TG-16 was a fluke I won for free, and then TTi had that clearance sale for $99 TurboDuos which was too good to pass up.

Nothing against Sega, just budget reasons growing up as a kid.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It is but I've always felt that about MK2 anyway. I can't recall if it's harder than the SNES or Genesis version.

That was my thought also- the MK games almost always seem to have sadistic AI that will give me a freebie easy round and then mop the floor with me the next.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That was my thought also- the MK games almost always seem to have sadistic AI that will give me a freebie easy round and then mop the floor with me the next.

you better give us some kind of mini review when you get your copy from eBay

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

It's not really any worse than any other version. You win a few fights then the CPU kicks your ass and there's little you can do about it. I still think the arcade game was the worst.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
It can approach AOF2 levels of cheapness, but not as bad (I mean, is there anything worse?).

Super Street Fighter II X was pretty tough too, but still nothing tops AOF2. I'm scarred forever.