Talk me in/out of a PS4 Pro

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've been kicking around getting a PS4 and I'm hung up on which model to get. I'm going to wait until black Fri to see what kind of deal I can get but I still do not know if the Pro is what I want. I will say that I'm not too pleased that it doesn't play 4K HDR disks...

Any advice?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's very underwhelming tech-wise compared to the X1X. If you're dead set on a PS4, though, it's a decent step up from the base model. The resolution upgrades often aren't too substantial, but it does do a better job running demanding stuff at consistent framerates.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I've been kicking around getting a PS4 and I'm hung up on which model to get. I'm going to wait until black Fri to see what kind of deal I can get but I still do not know if the Pro is what I want. I will say that I'm not too pleased that it doesn't play 4K HDR disks...

Any advice?

Unless $100 is some kind of dealbreaker for you, get the Pro. There are a bunch of games from the last couple of years that don't run well on a stock PS4 (shit load times, bad frame rates) that are noticeably better on a Pro. This assumes that you can't hold out another year before the new machines show up.

And there's no reason to own an X1/X1X. The exclusives all come out on PC now and the UI/dashboard is a garbage fire. Mine's been sitting in a closet for close to three years now.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
If ps4 exclusives excite you enough and you have a 4K tv, the pro is probably worth it over the slim. Even though it’s not true 4K, better frame rates and slightly better resolution on supported games could make it worth to most people. Else just get the slim and call it a day. I bought Xbox one s as a 4K Blu-ray player, but upgraded to dedicated player. I haven’t touched Xbox since

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If I were to buy a brand new one today I'd go Pro, if I already had an old model (and I do) then I wouldn't bother. If you have to get talked into it, maybe you don't need it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I got ps4 pro on fathers day...If you already have a ps4 its not worth the upgrade. I was already running out of space & was tired of sharing the console w/ the kids so im happy i got another ps4.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
The pro resolution and performance upgrades aren’t really worth the cost with the PS5 around the corner. If you can find one for $200 on Black Friday and are cool with using it for only a year or two (and have a 4K tv) then I suppose it might make sense. If you’re mostly going to be playing 3rd party stuff, then X1X is the way to go.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The Pro makes a substantial upgrade to PSVR visuals as well, if that's your thang

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
PS4 pro advantages:
1. Runs some standard games at a better frame rate
2. Runs some standard games with better graphics by rendering at a higher resolution and then downsampling
3. Runs some games at 4K native
4. Upscales other games to 4K
5. Runs PSVR better

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Pro is good for 1080p gaming. For 4K get the X.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You will play it for 15 minutes, go "meh" after realizing you will never be as happy as you were as a child playing games, and move on.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You will play it for 15 minutes, go "meh" after realizing you will never be as happy as you were as a child playing games, and move on.

Can't argue with that sentence, but games like Blazing Chrome at least offer mitigating circumstances.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So I'll come right out and say it...I'm completely prejudice against Microsoft, although I find the One X to be interesting. I do like that it plays 4K HDR discs, it is highly disappointing that the PS4 Pro does not.

It seems to me that the system isn't doing well...will future support for the thing be around?

I'll be honest here, I'm mostly getting this for Fallout 4...and so my kiddo can play some games on the thing.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
True, I have one and also a ps4 slim. Ps4 pro is very underpowered.

I bought the Xbox for 4K Blu Ray but the built in app is shitty and freezes so often I had to buy a standalone player.

So now I have a console that doesn't play any of the Yakuza games or most fighting games released this generation. SamSho is the first SNK game to go to Xbox in a bit.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Smokehouse...deep down inside you are a Nintendo boy. Yes, we all know that the n64 crushed your soul and spirit but that shouldn’t diminish the love you had for the Super Nintendo.

The Switch is the best Nintendo console since the SNES. Do yourself a favor and get a Switch. If you already have a Switch then you already have all the gaming you need. You don’t need a PS4. Use the money for something nice for your family instead.

You’re welcome.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smokehouse...deep down inside you are a Nintendo boy. Yes, we all know that the n64 crushed your soul and spirit but that shouldn’t diminish the love you had for the Super Nintendo.

The Switch is the best Nintendo console since the SNES. Do yourself a favor and get a Switch. If you already have a Switch then you already have all the gaming you need. You don’t need a PS4. Use the money for something nice for your family instead.

You’re welcome.

Nah...I really don't have much interest in a Switch at the moment. If I want casual gaming, I have my RetroPie for that...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

You’re welcome.

Moe know.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So I'll come right out and say it...I'm completely prejudice against Microsoft, although I find the One X to be interesting. I do like that it plays 4K HDR discs, it is highly disappointing that the PS4 Pro does not.

It seems to me that the system isn't doing well...will future support for the thing be around?

I'll be honest here, I'm mostly getting this for Fallout 4...and so my kiddo can play some games on the thing.

Support for it will be fine. The only games you won't get are the Sony exclusives, i.e. Spider-Man, God of War, The Show, Yakuza. MS's exclusives are few and far between, but it just runs multi-platform stuff so much better than the PS4 Pro much of the time.

The UI is indeed a trash fire of epic levels though, as noted by 100proof. Hard to believe that thing's been tested by actual humans and judged to be acceptable.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman

In that case, definitely get a X1X and a game pass sub. Fallout 4 runs better on x1x and your kid can play any of the other games on game pass. The reality is x1x and ps4/pro each only have about a year or maybe 1.5 years of support left.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
modern console generation is a waste of time just buy a PC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ or an ataribox lolol

in all seriousness, get yourself a turbografx-16 instead.