Arcade1up better than real cabs?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
When I had an arcade cab, I was able to get all kinds of gamer and non-gamer friends into it - it definitely was the most fun mutiplayer machine I would say vs any other that I had. We could have easily played 4P Kart, Guitar Hero, Wii, the newest Playstation game I had, etc instead but how can you ignore the chance to play on an arcade cab if there is one? Personally I like in-person mutiplayer way better than online. I'm also old, so, there's that.

I wish I had friends like that. I share your opinions

You're better off buying the upright and sitting in a lawn chair instead of that.

From the looks of the quality of the cabinet (and of their cabinets past), if people play this like the driving games in the arcade, you're in very big trouble (at least in my game room, drivers are some of the more abused games in the store). Games are good except Outrunners plays better as a dual driving game (unless there's a way to link cabinets) and though they all came out as moving driving cabinets, Power Drift is meant to be played as a moving one. The basic upright loses a lot in the translation.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it for a cheaper price, but for the $500 they are probably going to ask for nope.

All of the arcade1up stuff wouldn't hold up to real arcade abuse, but then again I don't think someone's basement gets that kind of abuse either. I play the hell out of my modded crap, but I would be worried if I took it somewhere for random people to play on.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
All of the arcade1up stuff wouldn't hold up to real arcade abuse, but then again I don't think someone's basement gets that kind of abuse either. I play the hell out of my modded crap, but I would be worried if I took it somewhere for random people to play on.

Thing I notice when people play drivers is in the heat of the moment or the unexpected occurs, they tend to forget about it being just a game and play aggressively during the game. Nothing really bad but they'll turn the steering wheel or hit the gas and brake pedals a little harder than normal which may be a natural reaction to a driving situation, especially when playing against another player, that competition factor kicks in. Fortunately the Arcade1up driver would hopefully avoid that situation ;)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I agree...but reality is I am most likely not going to get this.

I definitely don't want the sit down version and the stand up will only be sold directly on Arcade1uos website. I am guessing it will be $400 to $500 which is more than i’m willing to spend...and because they are selling directly there will be zero chance it will be marked down.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well for $500 I would expect Daytona and online play. As I said to friends before I'd rather see a cabinet I'm interested in come with games I don't want so when they finally release the ones I do hopefully they'll work the kinks out.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks for posting Lastblade. I’m not a fan of the benches...they really need proper seats with backs...just looks uncomfortable to play. The upright looks better to me.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
That Outrun setup is maybe the closest to a passable product they've made. If you could hack it to run a Naomi, I would be into it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
There’s a YouTube channel called the 1up Weekly Show and they had a guy from Arcade1up on their show recently and he basically hinted at a ton of new products including Time Crisis, a Big Blue Street Fighter cab, Terminator 2 gun game, House of the Dead, and a bunch of Konami stuff, and the Sega Star Wars trilogy.

Love em or hate em but it will be interesting to see what they release. They are on a good trajectory in that each new product they release seems to improve on the quality of the last, so could’ve an interesting year.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. It seems like they've become a bit more engaged in what they're actually doing as time has gone by too. The four player machines seemed cool. A mini big blue actually sounds pretty awesome. I would scoop if that became a real thing, I think.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. It seems like they've become a bit more engaged in what they're actually doing as time has gone by too. The four player machines seemed cool. A mini big blue actually sounds pretty awesome. I would scoop if that became a real thing, I think.

I’m excited for the Big Blue as well...pretty sure he said it will have 12 games and in addition to SF he mentioned Darkstalkers and Puzzle Fighter. I think it will be part of their “legacy” line which will retail around $299 which is nice since some of their offerings have been hitting $500+

Ajax

15 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up man! I pulled up the vid and watched part of it. It sounds like they’re considering a full size Big Blue? Personally hoping for a 3/4 scale one, ‘cause the original is massive!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It'd be interesting to see how they do a light gun based game like Time Crisis on a LCD type screen. Gun mounted games like Terminator, Revolution X, Jurassic Park and such not a problem. Light guns like Time Crisis 1-3, Crisis Zone, Point Blank and the Area 51 games...problem without a camera tracking system in the gun and around the monitor.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
There’s a YouTube channel called the 1up Weekly Show and they had a guy from Arcade1up on their show recently and he basically hinted at a ton of new products including Time Crisis, a Big Blue Street Fighter cab, Terminator 2 gun game, House of the Dead, and a bunch of Konami stuff, and the Sega Star Wars trilogy.

Love em or hate em but it will be interesting to see what they release. They are on a good trajectory in that each new product they release seems to improve on the quality of the last, so could’ve an interesting year.

The Star Wars Trilogy Arcade that never got a home console release? That would be fairly interesting as would a T2 arcade release if it had an actual mounted gun, regardless of how cheap quality it may be

neo_mao

15 Year Member
@Ajax - yeah I hope they don’t go full size..big part of the appeal to me is the smaller scale for size and I have 3 young kids

@Arcademan - they partnered with a company called sinden (I think) to do their gun games. Big Buck Hunter will be their first...no interest in that game but I will be interested to hear reviews on the actual guns. For Time Crisis I think he said they were exploring the idea of using a bigger monitor as well...

@neorebel - Yep that Star Wars game would be cool but I don’t think I would ever buy. T2 on the other hand would pretty much be a must buy for me (assuming they executed it well). Probably one of the games I played most in the arcade growing up.

Last edited:

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
It's true what you said about zero chance of markdown for the stand-up one. However, a lot of people get tired of them. I've gotten some killer deals months later when people list their A1U cabs on Facebook Marketplace.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
It's true what you said about zero chance of markdown for the stand-up one. However, a lot of people get tired of them. I've gotten some killer deals months later when people list their A1U cabs on Facebook Marketplace.

I was hoping that is the case, and I saw some deals on FB until Covid. Now everyone here is asking at retail for used items.

Arcade1up has a "partycade" variant which mounts on the wall. To take up even less space. Same controls. Same monitor. Same pcb.

The Arcade1up Outrun cabinet looks like warm trash. The pedals will be breaking. The shifter knob is cheap plastic. There is no vibration in the wheel. Its the size of my daughter's Barbie jeep. Pure junk. Maybe they can redeem it with a stand up version. Any one who purchased this product and claims to be satisfied is lying or lying to their self.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I just got this. I think its really good but the quality could have been better. IMG_20201221_180511.jpg

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
You try the online play yet? If so how is it?

I played about 40 games so far, apart from 2 with bad lag the rest were really smooth. Good that you can play people in other countries and not just domestic.

Would be good though if there were options to say last game or nice fight so you dont just leave

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I played about 40 games so far, apart from 2 with bad lag the rest were really smooth. Good that you can play people in other countries and not just domestic.

Would be good though if there were options to say last game or nice fight so you dont just leave

Great to hear. Im looking to get the xvsf one sooner than later. Is it somewhat active too? Is it easy to activate/use the extra characters in online? Sorry for the barrage of questions. About the only person outside of videos that I know that owns one.

I must say it sure looks pretty with the stool, light up marquee and riser.