Arcade1up better than real cabs?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I hope so as well.

Hopefully they’ll do a good job with this cab and then we get an Afterburner/Galaxy Force/Space Harrier combo down the road.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Not without driving up the cost (no pun intended). An arcade-quality steering with force feedback would need a stronger cabinet design to handle it.

0 chance of force feedback, They cheap on everything possible.

I dunno guys...did the original arcade have real force feedback? I mean, I know it shook if you crashed...but I think it was not as strong or realistic as the feedback in modern wheels.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I dunno guys...did the original arcade have real force feedback? I mean, I know it shook if you crashed...but I think it was not as strong or realistic as the feedback in modern wheels.

I remember it only shook as well when you spin out or hit something on the side of the road. Not true FF where the wheels fight you in a turn.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I remember it only shook as well when you spin out or hit something on the side of the road. Not true FF where the wheels fight you in a turn.

Ah that’s what I thought, thanks for clarifying. Probably been more than 30 years since I played an Outrun machine!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I think it also rumbles when you drift offroad.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I think it also rumbles when you drift offroad.

I think you are right, it shook when you are cutting grass on the side of the road until you hit a windmill!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
My memory is poor on it however I looked up the OutRun manual and it says it has feedback steering and the parts picture shows and lists a motor on the steering wheel. However as mentioned in other posts, it may have been for shaking effects. The genuine force feedback steering assemblies patented by Atari Games and used on drivers like Crusin' series, Hydro Thunder, H2Overdrive, F&F Drift series...not on the arcade uprights of OutRun (and those big force feedback motors are a bitch to work on and are extremely heavy since I fixed the belt and tension on one last week in my store).

ADDENDUM: Saw the video and confirmed the motor shakes the steering wheel up and down and left and right only.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ah thanks for looking into that buddy.

If I were to venture a guess I would say that they’d try and include the shaking force feedback but like you said it still will probably raise the price.

If they manage to do it successfully without jacking up the price then i’d be on board..but maybe that’s wishful thinking..

I mean the Star Wars cab was $500 when it launched and i’m sure this will cost more since the yoke on that was fairly simple. Really my max is like $300 to $350.

Last edited:

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I was honestly curious to the online functionality thats advertised with the Xmen vs Street fighter cabinet. If its its functional then im interested a bit. I love Xmen vs Street fighter and I believe mvc1 is included too.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Honest and serious question. Guys who made their arcades with legit cabs or arcade1up stuff. Once you get everything set up what do you do with it? Meaning do you constantly have people to use it? Is your entire family arcade rats like you. Does it just sit there?

I had a game room for 10+ years. Most of the time it sits there since I'm mainly the arcade rat in the house. Things I noticed through the years are:

Most casual gamers would rather play Mario Kart or Rock Band then old arcade games most of the time.

If you invite a hardcore fighting game player over they might try the cab for a bit, but will always prefer having their preferred stick/pad over whatever you got.

Whatever old game you want to introduce a casual gamers to is usually good for 1 play with the casual gamers. TMNT '89, Metal Slug, Donkey Kong, Puzzle Fighter, whatever. Getting them to play more then the one time is a lot harder than you would think.

In saying this I came to the realization that modding consoles or computers into cabs makes way more sense for me since I'm the one who plays 99% of the time, and having a way to play people on the internet on each cabinet is way more entertainment then having cabs that are made for in person 2 player games. I'm curious if I just never went around the concept the right way in the 1st place.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I only have 2 Arcade1Up machines (Marvel and TMNT) and both get played regularly (like a couple of times a week)...but i’m playing with my kids. For modern consoles I have a Switch and Xbone...but I think they prefer the feel of sitting on a stool in front of an arcade machine instead of sitting on the sofa with a controller.

If it was just me i’d probably never play the Arcade1ups by myself.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I only have 2 Arcade1Up machines (Marvel and TMNT) and both get played regularly (like a couple of times a week)...but i’m playing with my kids. For modern consoles I have a Switch and Xbone...but I think they prefer the feel of sitting on a stool in front of an arcade machine instead of sitting on the sofa with a controller.

If it was just me i’d probably never play the Arcade1ups by myself.

That's interesting. One of my fondest moments in the game room is showing my stepdaughter TMNT '89 tech I learned over the years online. Her and I had a lot of fun that day, but I'm jealous your kids come back to play it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Honest and serious question. Guys who made their arcades with legit cabs or arcade1up stuff. Once you get everything set up what do you do with it? Meaning do you constantly have people to use it? Is your entire family arcade rats like you. Does it just sit there?

I had a game room for 10+ years. Most of the time it sits there since I'm mainly the arcade rat in the house. Things I noticed through the years are:

Most casual gamers would rather play Mario Kart or Rock Band then old arcade games most of the time.

If you invite a hardcore fighting game player over they might try the cab for a bit, but will always prefer having their preferred stick/pad over whatever you got.

Whatever old game you want to introduce a casual gamers to is usually good for 1 play with the casual gamers. TMNT '89, Metal Slug, Donkey Kong, Puzzle Fighter, whatever. Getting them to play more then the one time is a lot harder than you would think.

In saying this I came to the realization that modding consoles or computers into cabs makes way more sense for me since I'm the one who plays 99% of the time, and having a way to play people on the internet on each cabinet is way more entertainment then having cabs that are made for in person 2 player games. I'm curious if I just never went around the concept the right way in the 1st place.

Before the whole Covid thing, i would have bi-weekly gatherings at my place. I get about 8-20 people over playing fighting games. There would be separate groups, where one would play old man fighters like SF2, Mvc2, CvS2, then there was the other group who are anime fighters, and then there people who are just casual who play pinball/multi games. These are all done in the garage arcade.

I also have another arcade inside the house, which i have the arcade1up and some real arcades including Daytona 2 cab. My son likes only playing the Daytona & Star Wars a1up, the girls are more into PC stuff but they used to love playing competitive arcade fighters with each other. When my brother comes over he always play Mortal Kombat w/his son. My wife occasionally plays Galaga. I mostly just play Daytona & Sports Shooting USA but that isn't very often. During parties, the one that gets played the most is Daytona & gun games.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
AA745DD6-42F5-4167-B156-1E81402CA578.jpeg

Me no like.

They are also coming out with a stand-up version...will probably look basically the same but wonder how they are handling the pedals...

You can’t tell from the pic but I think the games list is:
- Outrun
- Turbo Outrun
- Outrunners
- Power Drift

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I like those 4 games, but that sitdown doesn't look comfortable at all

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yeah it’s basically exactly what they did the Star Wars one. The seat really needs a back. I think this sit down version will be available at retailers and the upright will be sold directly through Arcade1up’s website.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
So looks like there will be an Outrun cab in the near future. A lot of folks were speculating about that so not a huge shocker I suppose. Curious to see how this comes out and what games are included.

I rather have this version of Outrun

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Wow they are creating tons of future landfill material. The build quality is like a $20 Walmart bookshelf.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
View attachment 58142

Me no like.

They are also coming out with a stand-up version...will probably look basically the same but wonder how they are handling the pedals...

You can’t tell from the pic but I think the games list is:
- Outrun
- Turbo Outrun
- Outrunners
- Power Drift

You're better off buying the upright and sitting in a lawn chair instead of that.

From the looks of the quality of the cabinet (and of their cabinets past), if people play this like the driving games in the arcade, you're in very big trouble (at least in my game room, drivers are some of the more abused games in the store). Games are good except Outrunners plays better as a dual driving game (unless there's a way to link cabinets) and though they all came out as moving driving cabinets, Power Drift is meant to be played as a moving one. The basic upright loses a lot in the translation.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Outrunners is so good. Nothing like choosing Last Wave and chilling out for the next 5 minutes. Also, lmbo at hitting the bicyclists wearing Mao suits in the China stage..

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

When I had an arcade cab, I was able to get all kinds of gamer and non-gamer friends into it - it definitely was the most fun mutiplayer machine I would say vs any other that I had. We could have easily played 4P Kart, Guitar Hero, Wii, the newest Playstation game I had, etc instead but how can you ignore the chance to play on an arcade cab if there is one? Personally I like in-person mutiplayer way better than online. I'm also old, so, there's that.