Arcade1up better than real cabs?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
What are your thoughts on them. I joined their facebook group and im just laughing my ass off on some of these idiots. I even made a post if they prefer original cabs or these 1up one's and 90% rather have 1up than a real arcade cabinet.

Just saw this today.

racing.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
That is pretty cool, for a cheap little cabinet for a little kid to play.

I like how she has both feet on the one pedal.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Although I’m not a big fan of the scale and build, they seem like a decent entry-level unit for someone not willing to purchase real arcade hardware nor learn to maintain it. They also seem good for people who want a cabinet of some sort but don’t want to follow the simple tutorials to build their own MAME solution.

Since there is a huge difference between these 1uparcade units and an actual crt-bearing arcade cabinet, I imagine they have also made great starter projects/gateway drugs for some who end up looking into real cabinet ownership after purchasing one of these and experiencing their shortcomings.

Of course, most probably just use them as collectable mancave decor as I would imagine these things aren’t fun for an adult-sized human to play on for very long let alone stand up to serious score sessions (the cited issues with the spinner controls on the 1uparcade Tempest unit come to mind).

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I did some looking at some of those after reading the thread. Like everything else there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings about them.
I was unsure what the audience these were directed at as they seem child sized but I have my doubts that children that size would stay interested in them for very long. Some kids I'm sure would but, I can't imagine them being a big seller for that market.

As mentioned above, the items being more decor than plaything, kind of makes sense when I think about it. I had not really looked it in that light as it being just some nifty thing for the nerd room, or hipster den... IE: Look How random and Retro I am.. I got a mini arcade cabinet.

However, I now find myself wondering that if a guy were to chop one of these off under the control panel, would it make for a pretty cool wall mount causal game.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Star Wars one coming out looks nice. Since its a 1 player game, i think this would work.

8brdnrip0z331.jpg

Playing 2player fighting game or even worse a 4-player turtles coming out is going to be really comical to see 40 year old fat fucks trying to play it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I scooped Asteroids and Centipede when they were on clearance for $75 at Wal-Mart. They are fun toys and play the older arcade games just fine. I don't think they are worth spending $300 on though.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I inquired about these toys a couple of months back and they're not bad at all. I would definitely scoop at 75-100 bucks. I wonder if my WAL-MART marked these down? They had Galaxian/Galaga Asteroids/Centipede and I think that Street Fighter II
BB

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah I'd consider buying one on clearance for under $100 just to screw around with but the idea that they're somehow better than real cabs is hilarious. They're like one step above buying those Pandora's Box in a fight stick things that have overrun ebay. Ultimately, they're for "mancaves" and sad MetalJesus types.

The real horror is this hipster bullshit.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yeah I'd consider buying one on clearance for under $100 just to screw around with but the idea that they're somehow better than real cabs is hilarious. They're like one step above buying those Pandora's Box in a fight stick things that have overrun ebay. Ultimately, they're for "mancaves" and sad MetalJesus types.

The real horror is this hipster bullshit.

I dont know that polycade at least looks fullsize.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
These run for close to $500 in Canadian dollars, so at that rate I'm not interested.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Build quality seems pretty low, and MSRP is too high for what you get. I do like the art and some of the different packages (Mortal Kombat), but I rather have a real cab even though they are a pita to move and maintain.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
45% of the people who buy these just mod them out with a Pi anyway.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
These run for close to $500 in Canadian dollars, so at that rate I'm not interested.

Ya and it seems they arent being sold in Canada anymore so we wont get any of the good deals in the States, you'll be looking at a premium to ship it here. The one big benefit of these is because one person can move them is they arent quite the white elephant that a regular cabinet can be. The hassle with moving a 400 pound cabinet can deter alot of people.

The Star Wars one looks tempting, it's really a game that benefits from having the cabinet and the controls. The actual cabinet is pretty rare and old at this point. I just think Arcade1up needs to come down about 20%. The Golden Tee Cabinet is absurdly expensive and should be $350 at most.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
...However, I now find myself wondering that if a guy were to chop one of these off under the control panel, would it make for a pretty cool wall mount causal game.

Looks like they’ve got you covered:

my-arcade-wall-cade-toy-fair-2019.jpg

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Oh, why isn't that amusing. Who could have imagined such a thing.

The screen angle though.. man that looks it would be rough to play. Not sure what kind of viewing angle the screen has but it looks like you would almost need the controls under your chin.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I imagine you'd still be advised to sit in front of it, not stand.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I can't imagine that would help much.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The portability is a huge factor!! I mean you wouldn't have to think about moving it from one room to another..whereas a cab is going to have you thinking about moving it for weeks before you go ahead and do it.
The WALL-CADES??? Ummmm......NO.It grabs your attention if you're trying to sell something but not something that looks terribly comfortable to play.
BB
The one big benefit of these is because one person can move them is they arent quite the white elephant that a regular cabinet can be. The hassle with moving a 400 pound cabinet can deter alot of people.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The portability is a huge factor!! I mean you wouldn't have to think about moving it from one room to another..whereas a cab is going to have you thinking about moving it for weeks before you go ahead and do it.
The WALL-CADES??? Ummmm......NO.It grabs your attention if you're trying to sell something but not something that looks terribly comfortable to play.
BB

Yeah the Arcade1up cabs are very light. Easy for one person to pick up and move.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
What are your thoughts on them. I joined their facebook group and im just laughing my ass off on some of these idiots. I even made a post if they prefer original cabs or these 1up one's and 90% rather have 1up than a real arcade cabinet.

Just saw this today.

View attachment 54464

Babyguns > Shotguns
... said no man ever.

I avoid those groups like the plague. Don't feed 'em.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Babyguns > Shotguns
... said no man ever.

I avoid those groups like the plague. Don't feed 'em.

I join them to look down on them and be very judgemental. Its great!