The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
For those who were truly around for the golden age of the Neo Geo in the 90's, you know who you are, $280 new home carts, pre-orders through National Console Support, waiting on 'Apollo69' to release that next rom, fresh sprite rips, NGF Flame Wars:)

What are your BEST memories of the Golden Age?

Mine:

1. Pre-Ordering my MOTW AES at NCSX for $350, it arriving, that new cart smell, plugging it into my AES (cart slot just replaced by !Arcade!), and seeing the beauty that was and is that game on our beloved hardware. SAME memory for Slug 3

2. Amassing a 22 cart home cart collection and eyeing it on the shelf when I got home from classes in my college apartment

3. Watching Fran getting pissed on the forum almost every day, especially the day he went ape thinking I ripped him off on SS4 JPN AES:) Fran rules. OASIS Forever.

4. Watching Big Bear come up with the idea for Shock Boxes and MAKING it happen, I was an official financial backer I believe for that first run.

5. Watching Tonk buy back and re-sell his collection 23 times:)

Bonus turkeys and coins for anyone who remembers my old school review site Garg's Neo Geo Temple

Be well all, make your skill ultimate

Lee (garg7)

PS These Kids Today

Last edited:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
The real OGs were on the DHP mailing list :)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Did you keep your collection of home carts? Or end up moving on?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My oldest OG memory was reading posts from Spaceman Spiff and Red Fox about how to access the FTP drive for FAQs and image files. Other guys like Shawn Holmes, Galen Komatsu, and Scott Fujimoto were pretty active back then. BBH and I were not that active posting.

I had a Ukyo fan page on my website in high school. I honestly don't remember but it's referenced on a SSIII faq that's been around 24 years.

Guys like Deuce and Pedro showed up later, after SSIV arrived, and got really active when Last Blade was released.

Eventually people let on that they were posting more on a yahoo group called Dolphinlordssnkneogeodomain, where I got to learn about people like neojuzam, bobak, and many of the other old tymers here.

I remember around November or December of 1999 when Dion posted to the yahoo group a congratulations thread to Shawn for winning the bid on this site domain.

Back in 1998 I made a pilgrimage to Tsukuba and explored the Neo Geo World. In 1999 I got to check out the Tokyo Bay Neo Geo World.

If I could choose any member to return here, I would pick Blaine. He was a great guy. I know some of you guys would be like "Daisuke Jigen" but that's not possible.

The most surreal thing on this site was that friend of Spike Spiegel's who had the sig pic of a car on fire, captioned "die in flames", who later died in a car accident. That always stood out as a crazy thing to see here.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol

Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

The DHP was great, but I came to it really late on...

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Buying a system with Fatal Fury and Robo Army in 1992 after saving for what seemed like forever. Picking up every magazine featuring any NeoGeo news and reviews making 'posters' and sticking them on my bedroom wall. Good times.

pXlDfHX.jpg

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.

I don't remember DEVIL_GUI, but SAMHAIN had a friend named LORD ILLICUS I think... Or something like that.

One member I remember who hasn't posted in a long time though is Forever Sublime. He was a cool dude too, left around the same time as Blaine I think.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Buying a system with Fatal Fury and Robo Army in 1992 after saving for what seemed like forever. Picking up every magazine featuring any NeoGeo news and reviews making 'posters' and sticking them on my bedroom wall. Good times.

pXlDfHX.jpg

This picture is so authentic for the time too as it must have been taken with the world's first camera phone. haha

Nice man.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

Oh yeah! I remember NSX-T and LiquidSnake would have long drawn out battle posts. Those were the days when the War Room was the place to be.

I also remember when more than half the forum was calling out Dion and ChrisR (I think?) over and over about their NeoGeo Freak carts.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Probably didn’t blink an eye about the RF or composite connection quality.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

pXlDfHX.jpg

Pretty sure I had the same TV as you around that time, but less serial killer-esque wallpaper ;)

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

pXlDfHX.jpg

Man I remember when my room was done out like that! Good times!
Admitedly though it was Sega not Neo Geo plastered across my wall, I was to poor for Neo back in the day :(

Sad to think though to my knowledge not a single picture exists of my old setup!
I couldnt afford a camera either LMAO

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I was around at the "golden age of NG" but it's not as if I was able to afford an AES. The arcade scene was non-existent apart from some arcade halls in the main amusement park in Austria. (There were one big arcade hall popping up for a year and vanishing again though)
Buying an AES wasn't even possible as far as I was concerned, none of the shops I frequented even had one for sale. I saw one of the systems at one single time in London in a shop opposite of Tower records where I bought a Biohazard album on tape. I knew what it was because I bought the Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines from time to time when they popped up at a magazine store who had international ones.

I remember being very intrigued about the fighting games featured in EGM however (Samurai Shodown II, etc.). When realizing you could emulate the stuff on PC in later years I played the shit out of the NeoRage emulator.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
One member I remember who hasn't posted in a long time though is Forever Sublime. He was a cool dude too, left around the same time as Blaine I think.

ForeverSublime still posts but not that often.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
My oldest OG memory was reading posts from Spaceman Spiff and Red Fox about how to access the FTP drive for FAQs and image files. Other guys like Shawn Holmes, Galen Komatsu, and Scott Fujimoto were pretty active back then. BBH and I were not that active posting.

I had a Ukyo fan page on my website in high school. I honestly don't remember but it's referenced on a SSIII faq that's been around 24 years.

Guys like Deuce and Pedro showed up later, after SSIV arrived, and got really active when Last Blade was released.

Eventually people let on that they were posting more on a yahoo group called Dolphinlordssnkneogeodomain, where I got to learn about people like neojuzam, bobak, and many of the other old tymers here.

I remember around November or December of 1999 when Dion posted to the yahoo group a congratulations thread to Shawn for winning the bid on this site domain.

Back in 1998 I made a pilgrimage to Tsukuba and explored the Neo Geo World. In 1999 I got to check out the Tokyo Bay Neo Geo World.

If I could choose any member to return here, I would pick Blaine. He was a great guy. I know some of you guys would be like "Daisuke Jigen" but that's not possible.

The most surreal thing on this site was that friend of Spike Spiegel's who had the sig pic of a car on fire, captioned "die in flames", who later died in a car accident. That always stood out as a crazy thing to see here.

No love for me huh? I thought we were bros!

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Home carts were never $280. Telesaurus had them all basically for $200, and Babbages had games on sale for $100 a pop a lot of the time.

I stopped buying AES games after Samurai Shodown 1 came out censored though. $200 for a censored game. What a joke. The whole point of the Neo Geo was that it was the same as the arcade--not some neutered sack of shit. I can't believe the idiocy that led SNK to do that.