Samurai Shodown Neo-Geo Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/SW)

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
That’s cool, and I’d definitely put that rom on a flash cart...but an official SNK release would be neat as long as it’s not garbage like most of the recent official SNK stuff
I'd love a legit physical mvs copy of the game. This would be so cool

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
O look a collection release with an unreleased game (that never cut it because nobody cared anymore at that point and because it probably sucked ass).
Curb your enthousiasm is what I'm saying.

History says otherwise. It wasn't released because it was made by a skeleton crew at Yuki without SNK/Playmore's knowledge.

Personally, I really liked SS5 and SS5S, so having a more refined version of it with better story is something to be excited about.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Certainly the biggest and most welcome news in a very long time

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'm gonna hold off on buying this till I see opinions at release.. Even then, I'll probably wait.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm going to wait like I did the other Samurai Shodown game. Once it hits the under $15-20 mark on digital or physical I'll maybe pick it up. Outside of the one game which is essentially a upgrade of a game I'm not too crazy about, don't see the need to get this day one. I know lag is going to be issue like it is with almost every one of these 30th anniversary essential gold platinum definitive anthology collection games. I was all pumped up for the Street Fighter collection and that was let down. No matter how much I want to like it and how good it looks on screen. It just plays funny.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I'm going to wait like I did the other Samurai Shodown game. Once it hits the under $15-20 mark on digital or physical I'll maybe pick it up. Outside of the one game which is essentially a upgrade of a game I'm not too crazy about, don't see the need to get this day one. I know lag is going to be issue like it is with almost every one of these 30th anniversary essential gold platinum definitive anthology collection games. I was all pumped up for the Street Fighter collection and that was let down. No matter how much I want to like it and how good it looks on screen. It just plays funny.

It's free the week of June 11th on the Epic store, you could always just try it then and see how you feel

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
They should release Perfect on AES/MVS too. I’m thirsty enough to buy it

That’s cool, and I’d definitely put that rom on a flash cart...but an official SNK release would be neat as long as it’s not garbage like most of the recent official SNK stuff

I'd love a legit physical mvs copy of the game. This would be so cool

Agreement all around, maybe a physical release from the Neo store if Shawn would ever revisit something like this, official like the last several SNK games offered here.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
They should release Perfect on AES/MVS too. I’m thirsty enough to buy it

That would be epic. SNK releasing a Neo Geo cart in 2020. I would support that, if they could keep the price reasonable.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Latest trailer.

Japanese version for those interested in the bonuses we westerner gamers will miss out on.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not really shocking given the level of bitch around here, but I find it amusing that you're the only person asking real questions.

This is some of the most lazy, low effort shit in gaming. These crappy emulator repackages should be like $5 max.

You could do a lot of really interesting stuff with a proper remaster of the Samurai Shodown games like make the games render at double resolution so that even when you're zoomed out the sprites still look just as detailed as they do when you're zoomed in, etc. That would actually require effort and cost money, though, and they know that stupid fanboys will pay for literally anything with the name SNK on the box, so they squat out these turds.

42psd2.jpg

https://twitter.com/MikeJMika/status/1265687928652525568

In the #SAMURAISHODOWN Neo Geo collection, we have another cool trick up our sleeves: HD Zoom. The native resolution of the Neo Geo is 320x224. Sprite scaling consists of dropping pixels when scaling sprites down so that any amount of zoom-out causes pixels to be skipped over.

By rendering the Neo Geo over 2x, doubling scanlines and doubling horizontal pixels, we generate a larger image where scaled-down sprites don't drop pixel data. All source pixels are seen on screen, and the process also makes camera zooms much smoother.

This doesn't require any modification to the games, and makes them look the best that they've ever looked. See the images below: Old vs. New.

EZCdiIIU0AEQJvn

EZCdj-XUEAEXxrT

(More screens at the link if you scroll down)

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Finally, an emulation compilation worth purchasing, that provides something new and fresh. Got my preorder in for the limited version through the SNK shop. Also going to pick up the PC version for free on launch in hopes of the rom data being accessible.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Finally, an emulation compilation worth purchasing, that provides something new and fresh. Got my preorder in for the limited version through the SNK shop. Also going to pick up the PC version for free on launch in hopes of the rom data being accessible.
Wait where on the snk shop did you pre-order it in physical format? Got a link?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Is it just me, or is the PS4 collector's case ugly as hell? I'm debating picking up Switch limited and PS4 standard given that I don't own a Switch.

RondoX

n00b
I haven't been here in over forever, but I have to chime in here, now.

SamSho V Perfect is legit. I saw it at a loke test at the Taito hey! arcade back in late 2005.

Other old neo-geo.com members were there as well. If you do a search you'll find photos of the game.
I never got close enough to the cab.

Some kid in Osaka got stabbed in a game center and SSVS disappeared from the big game centers. This game never saw the light of day, and we got Tenka Ichi on Atomiswave void of any violence.

It's gonna be a blast from the past to actually finally try this out....

RondoX

n00b
I don't know about that case so well.

I just remember the arcade stabbing being all over the news. And this huge debate in the media if game centers were safe places. And then BOOM! Every violent game was taken out of main street arcades. I used to play SSVS every weekend, and then I couldn't find it anywhere.

And then, no matter which arcade re-sell shop you went to Mak Japan, G-Front, Try!, they all had TONS of brand new SSVS MVS Kits.

I should know, I purchased three of them.

I sold one here to the community about 6 years ago I think....

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I think the pixel retention process is cool and all - I just hope its on the back end doing the work rather than imbedded in the game data. Reason: I still want an extraction of the SSV:P

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't know about that case so well.

I just remember the arcade stabbing being all over the news. And this huge debate in the media if game centers were safe places. And then BOOM! Every violent game was taken out of main street arcades. I used to play SSVS every weekend, and then I couldn't find it anywhere.

And then, no matter which arcade re-sell shop you went to Mak Japan, G-Front, Try!, they all had TONS of brand new SSVS MVS Kits.

I should know, I purchased three of them.

I sold one here to the community about 6 years ago I think....
Interesting story and theory. It could also be that the game just reached that age.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I think the pixel retention process is cool and all - I just hope its on the back end doing the work rather than imbedded in the game data. Reason: I still want an extraction of the SSV:P

The message says the process is done via emulation, which means the roms remain intact.

RondoX

n00b
Interesting story and theory. It could also be that the game just reached that age.

It is indeed very interesting. Even SSVS back then got a lot of backlash over it's gore and violence in arcades where it can be observed by the general public. When anyone of any age can walk in and play it, or even just see it. As there was no age rating system for game center games.

SSVS was removed from arcades.

The out-pour of complaints during this time is the very reason why SNK Playmore completely censored the AES release. And even when they "fixed" it, it was still censored.

We will never know, but it is probably a good reason why SSVS Perfect was never released back then and we got the Tenka Ichi that we did.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist

I'd bet a good chunk of money that they were reading this thread, saw my post, and just added that to the game (you can modify ~3 lines of code in MAME to do what they did).

The problem is that their implementation blows. If you look closely at the screenshots, you can see that tiles aren't aligned properly so there are gaps between the pixels. You'd have to actually do a little work for a clean implementation that didn't have problems like that.

unknown.png

Great job, shovelware pushers!