Samurai Shodown Neo-Geo Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/SW)

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Meh. Are people still excited about shit emulator collections? Like how many times can you rebundle the same shit with little to no effort. Give me real ports with native 16:9, training modes arranged ost etc. Shit like this is just pathetic milking

Not really shocking given the level of bitch around here, but I find it amusing that you're the only person asking real questions.

This is some of the most lazy, low effort shit in gaming. These crappy emulator repackages should be like $5 max.

You could do a lot of really interesting stuff with a proper remaster of the Samurai Shodown games like make the games render at double resolution so that even when you're zoomed out the sprites still look just as detailed as they do when you're zoomed in, etc. That would actually require effort and cost money, though, and they know that stupid fanboys will pay for literally anything with the name SNK on the box, so they squat out these turds.

42psd2.jpg

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
This comment is such bullshit. The maps were small, the encounter rates were ridiculously high, and the run thru playtime was less than a day, and would have been 6 hours with a normal encounter rate and battle system that wasn't so dependent on special moves slowing down the interface.

Wow, it was that short all along?

Samurai Shodown RPG is better than Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and tons of other overrated RPGs.

That’s cute fanboyism at best, outright delusion at worst, c'mon dude...

As was pointed out, how can you genuinely evaluate it story-wise against the Squaresoft RPGs you mentioned without an English localization ?? The story is the most important thing with a RPG, isn't it ?? I know it is for me!

And if what Wasabi said is true, I shouldn't have wasted any of my time with it, guess I was being superficial and admiring the sprites, and part leftover residue from being a fan of the arcade game BITD.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
My guess is SSV Perfect is the finished version of SSVS Final Edition that got touted and location tested, but never released.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Does anyone know how these "collection" games are stored on disc? Has anyone been able to pull the rom from them? SSV-Perfect would be a nice one to grab.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
They should release Perfect on AES/MVS too. I’m thirsty enough to buy it

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
14F04224-3D54-4E7A-AFC3-A1A01377F917.jpeg

Though tweaked from the SSVS Final Edition location test pictures, it does resemble Final Edition in terms of the red logo.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Someone will eventually rip the rom and put it on a cart

That’s cool, and I’d definitely put that rom on a flash cart...but an official SNK release would be neat as long as it’s not garbage like most of the recent official SNK stuff

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
View attachment 56688

Though tweaked from the SSVS Final Edition location test pictures, it does resemble Final Edition in terms of the red logo.

It has the same kanji "完全版" (kanzenban) as that SSZS location test nearly 15 years ago. Hopefully this is the refined/finished version of that ROM. Would be neat to see this running on original hardware at some point too. Hopefully, this opens the gates for more completed unreleased NG games.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I somehow knew they would get me to buy this... I feel like a hypocrite. Whatcha gonna do *shrug*

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Necrosofty, who works with SNK on translations and did so for Perfect, shared the backstory of the game on his Twitter. See below.

♥it has finally been announced! Samurai Shodown V Perfect, a game that has gone unreleased for 15 years, is included in the upcoming Samurai Shodown collection from @SNKPofficial. In this thread I'll share with you how this game got saved after so long!

First, what is SSV Perfect? It's largely a rebalance of V Special, fixing issues that caused problems in tournaments, a new title screen, and other minor tweaks. The BIG change is new story for every character, a couple new mid-game scenes, and a joke that took 15 years to tell.

This game was made not too long after V Special, with a skeleton crew, but with the involvement of SSV director Takaya. Perfect was done on request from Yuki Enterprise, who was managing development, while the team was already working on SSVI. But nobody told SNK about it.

The newly formed Playmore (aka SNK) hadn't been told this game was being made. In fact, they found out when the game was in location test in one single location. SNK found out and got the game pulled from play within a couple hours!

This location test is the source of the infamous "red logo version" you see in a couple blurry photos on the net. The game was pulled from location test so fast that the director Takaya didn't even have time to get to the site to watch people play before it was pulled.

Fast forward to early 2019 & I'm interviewing Takaya for the collection alongside @adamA_0330 from SNK. We ask... do you remember this version? He says yes, and tells us the story. We ask... any chance you still have the code He looks at SNK... you're not supposed to keep stuff.

Adam says, "please, if you have anything, we want to publish it." He says he'll look. I pester him for days (lol) and eventually he comes back saying there's no code, but he has a ROM. He can confirm it's the finished version. By the way, this game was FINISHED, just unreleased.

We get the rom. We check it out. It runs. It's got the new story. It's got the new title screen, changed to Mizuki's background because Takaya likes that character a lot. It was the legendary lost game, complete and ready to go.

But that's not all! Though there was a lot of fighting to get it there, and I had a 48 hour window in which to do it, we managed to translate the story into English. The rom was Japanese only, but since the data was largely the same as Special, we were able to reuse the fonts.

So not only do you get the story, you get it in English. Apologies if it's not the most elegant translation, but again, I had 48 hours! Regardless, thanks to the efforts of the team, it's running perfectly, and it's playable online, something that never would've happened in 2005!

It's amazing to be able to find the game, preserve it, translate it, and present it to everyone intact, as intended. This is the final true Neo Geo release, in 2020 - there was an MVS cart made and everything, now lost. Thanks to Takaya, Other Ocean, and SNK for making it happen.

Sadly, the designer who wrote all the new story, after working on SSV, V Special, V Perfect, and IV, passed away in the intervening years, and never got to see V Perfect get released. His name is Touru Sakurai, and the release of this game is dedicated to his honor.

(to everyone asking about rebalances, what Takaya could remember was changed was very small, and more akin to bug fixes, so don't get too excited about that element. sorry to confuse folks!)

Oh crap, I forgot to tell you the 15 year joke! The joke was, in the new story, it's strongly hinted that Hazuki Kazama, sister to Kazuki and Sogetsu, would debut in the next game. They wrote this because fans kept asking for her to be in there, she was a real favorite.

So they put this hint, "a brother, next time I'll join you" kind of thing, to rile the fans up. Meanwhile they were already finishing VI knowing full well she was not going to be in it. So it was a big bait and switch they were going to pull, but the reveal is 15 years too late!

NightWolve

NEST Puppet

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
First thing I thought when I saw this - for once I’m glad these collections are usually emulator and ROM gateways, so extracting the rom and putting it on, say a NeoSD, for instance, should be doable.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
O look a collection release with an unreleased game (that never cut it because nobody cared anymore at that point and because it probably sucked ass).
Curb your enthousiasm is what I'm saying.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It has the same kanji "完全版" (kanzenban) as that SSZS location test nearly 15 years ago. Hopefully this is the refined/finished version of that ROM. Would be neat to see this running on original hardware at some point too. Hopefully, this opens the gates for more completed unreleased NG games.

Excellent. Since a question was all it took to get this ROM data to resurface... I wonder if they have anything remaining from Garou Mark of the Wolves 2’s development as well.