In a retrospect of twenty years, KOF 99 wasn't so bad

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think a lot of people were turned off by it, coming on from the heels of 98.

But as far as keeping the series moving forward and trying something new, I think it did a good job.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ur cruisin for a bruisin, brother

I can respect the risks they were taking when they made it

Explain further GASTON

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I like KOF99, but I didnt really play it until years later.

The changed roll mechanic isnt my favorite though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's the only memorable thing in the game. 99 was when I started thinking that maybe we don't really need a new game every year.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
World War FUCKING THREE!

So metal, my stick gets hot to the touch.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
KoF ‘99 wasn’t that great back then. It felt rough. SNK’s e3 2000 booth was empty. People simply didn’t care much about 99, the NGPCs running cool cool jam, or the staff there who were just paycheck collecting dudes that didn’t care about the product line. Upstairs, people crowded the Capcom vs SNK machine to play as raiden even though the game was buggy as hell. Why? Because it was fresh. KoF was already pickled 6 years later. So much is still wrong with 99. The character design was out of touch, and still is. But yeah, the rain stage.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
KoF ‘99 wasn’t that great back then. It felt rough. SNK’s e3 2000 booth was empty. People simply didn’t care much about 99, the NGPCs running cool cool jam, or the staff there who were just paycheck collecting dudes that didn’t care about the product line. Upstairs, people crowded the Capcom vs SNK machine to play as raiden even though the game was buggy as hell. Why? Because it was fresh. KoF was already pickled 6 years later. So much is still wrong with 99. The character design was out of touch, and still is. But yeah, the rain stage.

I don't disagree with you. But for myself, I am having a hard time coming up with new, fresh ideas for KOF following 98.

They could have followed the same formula into oblivion, or tried something new - which, admittedly, never took root. So maybe I'm commending them for going down that path even though it ended in not meeting expectations.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I know it’s an unpopular game amongst the fanbase, but I also really enjoyed kof99 and consider it one of my favorites in the series. Kof98 felt like the perfection of the ideas and mechanics they implemented from 94-97. Kof98 featured the return of almost every character (plus classic moveset variations) and was a sweet celebration of everything done with the series at that point.

It’s understandable that kof99 tried to do something new by switching things up with new characters and a new darker theme (no doubt thanks to members from team Fallen Angels/Daraku Tenshi). Although kof99 doesn’t feature my favorite roll mechanic, I appreciate that the change was made to encourage more aggressive play. The striker system was an interesting expansion of a mechanic that was already present since kof94 (the old team attack move that could be used to escape dizzy status).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I know it’s an unpopular game amongst the fanbase, but I also really enjoyed kof99 and consider it one of my favorites in the series. Kof98 felt like the perfection of the ideas and mechanics they implemented from 94-97. Kof98 featured the return of almost every character (plus classic moveset variations) and was a sweet celebration of everything done with the series at that point.

It’s understandable that kof99 tried to do something new by switching things up with new characters and a new darker theme (no doubt thanks to members from team Fallen Angels/Daraku Tenshi). Although kof99 doesn’t feature my favorite roll mechanic, I appreciate that the change was made to encourage more aggressive play. The striker system was an interesting expansion of a mechanic that was already present since kof94 (the old team attack move that could be used to escape dizzy status).

It has been some days. You have successfully passed the cool guy test. Now is the time to respond in your birthday thread.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't disagree with you. But for myself, I am having a hard time coming up with new, fresh ideas for KOF following 98.

They could have followed the same formula into oblivion, or tried something new - which, admittedly, never took root. So maybe I'm commending them for going down that path even though it ended in not meeting expectations.

The problem for SNK was that the director for KoF came up with Nests instead of going a different direction. In his mind he probably thought that no one plays for the story, just for the action, and that players were just jackoff males who want more moe waifu to wank at. 98 was the last decent KoF. 2000 sucks too btw.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It has been some days. You have successfully passed the cool guy test. Now is the time to respond in your birthday thread.

My apologies LS, I thought I responded to everyone that night when I got back. I’ll go check it out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My apologies LS, I thought I responded to everyone that night when I got back. I’ll go check it out.

You are such a stand-up act. Of course you did, three days ago. You could have told me to fuck off and yet you apologize for nothing. What a wholesome, positive man you are. Keep it up.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
The first King of Fighters titles that I really got into were 98 and 99 on the Dreamcast. KoF 98 was technically the better game in its roster and design, but I played more of 99. I liked the darker atmosphere, the character interactions, and the fact that it brought back Kasumi. And I still like it for all of that.

My biggest gripe was that the game felt incomplete because Seth and Vanessa weren't fully playable. But that's less the fault of the game and more of the person who stuck both characters on the back cover of the Dreamcast version.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
KOF 99's biggest sin was following KOF 98. That said, "wasn't so bad" is a fair assessment of the game.

I liked Kyo's 99 design. The striker system in 99 was kinda derivative of what Capcom was doing with assists though. I know it's tough to meet expectations with a new fighting game each year, and it's certainly a cromulent fighting game, but it's not special.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Holy shit, that is disconcerting. I was about to post that exact one word post.

Tell your wife you love and that you’re entering the chapter of your life, written as Flowers for Dogby, where all the genius of your life dissipates into dementia.

J-P

NEST Puppet
I agree. The presentation in '99 is certainly on point, nice soundtrack also - but some of the move-set changes got my goat. It is definitely true that it's worst sin was following '98. That said, I still (occasionally) enjoy it, even though it's definitely 'different' - it was far more technical or rather strategic (using armour/counter modes properly). Certain characters really got twisted in half, like Terry and Robert.

At least where I was at the time it came out - people gave it a fair play in arcades and it was enjoyable figuring out all the new stuff (apart from Bao, seriously fuck that guy). It's unfortunate that it gets so much flack.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I have a hard time even judging whether it was an OK game, because for years I was stuck with the asstastic ps1 version of the game. Those dumbass blue and red Pepsi cola loading screens still piss me off to this day.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BRO

RAIN STAGE BRO

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RAIN STAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahahah this!

Also it's the last game AFAIK that had a normal looking Kim in it. They fucked his face up in later games.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Having been stuck with the PS1 version as a kid I played the shit out of it so I've got fond memories...RAIN STAGE! I think it's an interesting prototype for KOF2000, which is ultimately better but KOF changed considerably from 99 onwards and that's what I think people have a problem with.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
KoF99 gotta be my favorite in the series albeit not of a technical excellence. I've played the hell out of it in the arcades first and then on MAME against friends.

I agree it's definitely nothing to call home about, but for some reason I really really liked it. The only thing that bothered me was that the game had some input lag IIRC which frustrated me a bit.

Also, World fucking War III.