Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Cant wait till i’m able to preorder.. it’ll be worth it just to have xeno crisis on the AES since its always hooked up and i barely even play my genesis

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
No, not at all - the amount of PCB we need to produce for each cartridge is way higher than the Mega Drive version, and it's also likely we'll have to produce our own molds (at great cost) for both the cartridge shells and shockboxes. On top of that, the Neo Geo version is a far more niche product than the Mega Drive, so the limited production runs inflate the cost too. We've tried to price Xeno Crisis as aggressively as possible, undercutting the NG:Dev Team titles by a considerable margin.

If all goes well then we will most likely consider developing more titles for the Neo Geo hardware, and having been through the process once already will make things easier the second time around.

You are going to have to sell a lot of copies @ £200 ($250) to break even. Quite frankly, I don't think it's possible, especially if you have to pay for cart shell and shock box molds. Those cost thousands of dollars each. Producing a small run of PCBs is also going to be very expensive. No one has sold new Neo Geo games for £200 since the early 90s and it wasn't very profitable then. How did you arrive at this price point?

You are going to have to sell a lot of copies @ £200 ($250) to break even. Quite frankly, I don't think it's possible, especially if you have to pay for cart shell and shock box molds. Those cost thousands of dollars each. Producing a small run of PCBs is also going to be very expensive. No one has sold new Neo Geo games for £200 since the early 90s and it wasn't very profitable then. How did you arrive at this price point?

We've spent a considerable amount of time looking into not only the technical aspect of developing a Neo Geo game, but also manufacturing the physicals aspects - having already gone through this process with the Mega Drive version of Xeno Crisis and receiving assistance from HPMAN, Jeff Kurtz, Razoola, Mike Wolak, and several other key figures in the Neo Geo scene, we know we can commit to selling the AES and MVS versions for £199 and still make enough profit to make it worthwhile for us.

We're also prepared to take on these extra set-up costs for this game so we're in a position to create more Neo Geo games in the future.

Last edited:

Ukyo2001

n00b
I really look forward to see some good graphics enhancements for the neo geo version. there's only one video on yt available from ngcd maniac.. if the graphics are really that good I'll be quite happy :)

https://youtu.be/y-Pbq6w637U

maikisan

n00b
I really look forward to see some good graphics enhancements for the neo geo version. there's only one video on yt available from ngcd maniac.. if the graphics are really that good I'll be quite happy [emoji4]

https://youtu.be/y-Pbq6w637U

I have just ordered a copy for AES, Japanese version.
I am a big fan of Smash Tv.
Hopefully the Neo Geo release of this game is worthy enough to encourage Bitmap Bureau to produce more games for our beloved SNK system in the future...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited:

kogami

n00b
Hello,

For the graphic chart it would be possible to have the same as the NGdevteam at the level of logos to have the same slices because I'm not too fan of your logo.

Hello,

For the graphic chart it would be possible to have the same as the NGdevteam at the level of logos to have the same slices because I'm not too fan of your logo.

The Neo Geo artwork is yet to be finalised so we're open to the idea of making some tweaks, but we can't use any trademarks - NG:Dev Team are taking a considerable risk in doing so.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The Neo Geo artwork is yet to be finalised so we're open to the idea of making some tweaks, but we can't use any trademarks - NG:Dev Team are taking a considerable risk in doing so.

AES is not a trademark.

kogami

n00b
It's logo that is protected by SNK

NGDevTeam bypassed the problem with the inscription "AES Advenced entertainment system"

Even Neobitz used the same writing for their game

JoshProd also

this would make the whole homogeneous on our shelf :)

Last edited:
I know Matt (my colleague) has said in the past that there's no way we can use AES / Advanced Entertainment System as it's a registered trademark - he really knows his stuff and is particularly careful to avoid getting into any legal wranglings. Just had a quick look myself and "Advanced Entertainment System" is still registered by SNK Playmore in the US:

2018-12-29 00_56_58-Window.png

I'd really love for us to be able to use the AES logo, but if Matt says no then it's for a good reason - other developers might be willing to take the risk, but we pride ourselves on our professionalism on every level and always steer clear of anyone's trademarks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I know Matt (my colleague) has said in the past that there's no way we can use AES / Advanced Entertainment System as it's a registered trademark - he really knows his stuff and is particularly careful to avoid getting into any legal wranglings. Just had a quick look myself and "Advanced Entertainment System" is still registered by SNK Playmore in the US:

View attachment 52723

I'd really love for us to be able to use the AES logo, but if Matt says no then it's for a good reason - other developers might be willing to take the risk, but we pride ourselves on our professionalism on every level and always steer clear of anyone's trademarks.

The trademark is NEO GEO ADVANCED ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.

What the others use is AES ADVANCED ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.

edit: fuck it, Last Hope came out over 12 years ago without a fuss from SNK and Matt knows jackshit, there you go. There's a reason other independent developers use AES instead of NEO-GEO. Looks like you guys aren't as professional as you're espousing if you can't even figure that out. I can appreciate people who create art, I do not appreciate people who latch onto a cashgrab without even understanding the fundamentals.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

edit: fuck it, Last Hope came out over 12 years ago without a fuss from SNK and Matt knows jackshit, there you go. There's a reason other independent developers use AES instead of NEO-GEO. Looks like you guys aren't as professional as you're espousing if you can't even figure that out. I can appreciate people who create art, I do not appreciate people who latch onto a cashgrab without even understanding the fundamentals.

Quick, before this gets [REDACTED]! Also :lolz:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Just pre-ordered the MVS CE.
After watching the video on Youtube, it seems to be fun and dynamic ...
but I have some doubts about how the controls will be managed and responsive !
As far as I remember playing that kind of games in the past, It was only really enjoyable with a mouse and a keyboard :)

Would be great if the dev made a twin-stick option so it can be played like Robotron/SmashTV/TotalCarnage. Get 2 players working with twin-sticks by linking two systems and two copies of the game a-la Riding Hero and League Bowling.

Even if just one player, twin-sticks are the preferred way to play games like this.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
May not matter so much. US Trademark law is based on likelihood of confusion, not "identical-ness".

However, the above imaged mark is actually a stylized illustration, not a standard character word mark. On the registration you'll also see a common disclaimer for stylized marks to exclude descriptive words apart from the mark. . . "No claim to exclusive use [of these words] except as shown"

Most of Playmore's trademarks are for game titles, and they have filed applications for things like "Beast Busters" in 2013 which I'm not sure if they ever really used. . . but you do have to prove commercial use to the USPTO within 6 years after initial registration, which is next year. Their use may not be what we'd think, like "NEW GAME COMING!".

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The issue here is one can have an arguement that they are not breaking trademark laws and then see how the courts decide (if it came to that). But when you have looked into it before hand which they clearly have, and then use it after already being unsure, your ground is not so sound unless you pay for 3rd party opinion before hand. The issue I could foresee in todays market is the fact that there is a big chance of an 'AES mini' coming to market (yikes) so a good chance the logo might be used in a new commercial product. From that standpoint I can understand bitmapbureau's hesitation.

@LoneSage - you're right, sorry I finally caught up with Matt. He said it's MVS which has a clear trademark, our draft AES cover design was inspired by covers with the yellow/blue logo but could be changed to the alternate AES styling.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
@LoneSage - you're right, sorry I finally caught up with Matt. He said it's MVS which has a clear trademark, our draft AES cover design was inspired by covers with the yellow/blue logo but could be changed to the alternate AES styling.

If you guys are going to improve the art by adding "AES Advanced Entertainment System" could you also ditch the GTA 3 font? It looks out of place.

If you guys are going to improve the art by adding "AES Advanced Entertainment System" could you also ditch the GTA 3 font? It looks out of place.

Do you mean the font used in our logo? We're looking to revise that at some point in the future, ideally before the game launches.