Souls-likes

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Chronos: Before the Ashes is really strange. Not good at all, lots of huge flaws and bad design decisions. Remnant was much better and way more polished. But Chronos is still oddly enjoyable in that Jank-Souls kind of way.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Good lord The First Samurai DLC for Nioh 2 is not good at all. What a way to end what was my favorite game of the year.

Goddamnit apparently all DLC really is shit.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Chronos: Before the Ashes is really strange. Not good at all, lots of huge flaws and bad design decisions. Remnant was much better and way more polished. But Chronos is still oddly enjoyable in that Jank-Souls kind of way.

Yea, I have been enjoying it so far although I feel like I shouldn't be.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Currently playing DS3, went with my usual regular Helberd which I like a lot and have been using since DS1 .....until I came to a boss that gave me some trouble and read that dark knight weapons work well against it. Went with the normal Dark Knight Sword and managed to beat it.

I have been switching back and forth between the two weapons now. Both fully upgraded.

I prefer the Helberd, but despite having 60+ stat damage (with raw infusion) over the Black Knight Sword, the later still does far more damage in combat. Is there a reason for that? Neither has magic / elemental stats.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Currently playing DS3, went with my usual regular Helberd which I like a lot and have been using since DS1 .....until I came to a boss that gave me some trouble and read that dark knight weapons work well against it. Went with the normal Dark Knight Sword and managed to beat it.

I have been switching back and forth between the two weapons now. Both fully upgraded.

I prefer the Helberd, but despite having 60+ stat damage (with raw infusion) over the Black Knight Sword, the later still does far more damage in combat. Is there a reason for that? Neither has magic / elemental stats.

Raw infusion gets weaker as you progress and stronger. You either need to specialize in a stat loke straight dex or str or do a quality build.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Raw infusion gets weaker as you progress and stronger. You either need to specialize in a stat loke straight dex or str or do a quality build.

Would the attribute bonuses be reflected in the stats menu? Because before applying raw infusion, I tried the refined infusion and the weapon's damage stat was so low, despite me having a decent Str / Dex for the current point I'm at.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Would the attribute bonuses be reflected in the stats menu? Because before applying raw infusion, I tried the refined infusion and the weapon's damage stat was so low, despite me having a decent Str / Dex for the current point I'm at.

Your AR in the stat menu i think your talking about. I assume your pretty far in the game that you have both weapons maxed out. I would just test each infusion based on your build (quality,pyro,magic, etc.) On the guys just outside firelink shrine or on the fire keeper.

Decent article on this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

The main take away from it:
For instance, if you infuse a weapon with Heavy, it improves its strength scaling. Usually, these infusions reduce the weapon's base damage a little to compensate for this so that you do need to raise that stat in order to get good value out of the infusion. Some infusions also remove a weapon's scaling in exchange for higher base damage, like Raw, which is useful for builds that want to save stat points by staying at the minimum required to equip the weapon and therefore get more damage out of Raw than they would from their meager stat scaling.

So in essance your hurting your AR by not using stat scaling.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the explaination. As it turns out, the weapon scaling is not reflected in the weapon's damage stat number.

I've tried a few infusions with the Helberd and I couldn't get it to output more or similar damage than the Black Knight Sword, so I'm sticking with the later now.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Thanks for the explaination. As it turns out, the weapon scaling is not reflected in the weapon's damage stat number.

I've tried a few infusions with the Helberd and I couldn't get it to output more or similar damage than the Black Knight Sword, so I'm sticking with the later now.

All the greatswords in general are my favorite weapon class. Straight swords are the only thing that compare.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I spent 4 days just farming covenant items and the process was boring as fuck. Totally killed the mood of the game for me. Finally, fucking done with this shit. Now I can enjoy the DLC then get back to rush through NG+ and NG++ for the final trophy.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I spent 4 days just farming covenant items and the process was boring as fuck. Totally killed the mood of the game for me. Finally, fucking done with this shit. Now I can enjoy the DLC then get back to rush through NG+ and NG++ for the final trophy.

Why not play online and enjoy the best pvp? Or co op for that matter half the fun of that game is enjoying the conflict or getting together with some friends.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Why not play online and enjoy the best pvp? Or co op for that matter half the fun of that game is enjoying the conflict or getting together with some friends.

I did that for the Sunlight covenant (bosses co-op), but for the rest, I barely found others that match the covenant criteria and my soul level. Luckily, someone assisted me with getting 20 Vertebra Shackles (Mound Makers), and I managed to get about 10 Proof of Concord Kept rewards (Darkmoon / Sentinels) through PvP while farming enemy drops. The farming process of these two items was a pain in the ass.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Got the platinum today. 10/10 except for the achievements design. Generally, it felt like a good mix between Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

I missed Midir's boss fight in my first playthrough, but found it in NG+ and barely won. Fuck this guy.

BTW, Mortal Shell's developers made a poll on twitter asking what upgrade would people want to see in a next-gen patch, so it will probably receive a 60fps patch soon.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Got the platinum today. 10/10 except for the achievements design. Generally, it felt like a good mix between Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

I missed Midir's boss fight in my first playthrough, but found it in NG+ and barely won. Fuck this guy.

BTW, Mortal Shell's developers made a poll on twitter asking what upgrade would people want to see in a next-gen patch, so it will probably receive a 60fps patch soon.

I so wanted to play the Midir boss fight but my pure Pyro build made The Ringed City just a freaking nightmare. I tried the first boss fight (Demon In Pain and Demon From Below I think?) about a dozen times, with and without summons, even tried straight katana melee and zero pyro, couldn't get it. I know I could ultimately farm fingers for Rosaria and switch builds, but the time it would take me to do that would probably be about half a new playthrough for a melee build.

Though really playing through with a brand new character sounds kind of fun now that I think of it.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I so wanted to play the Midir boss fight but my pure Pyro build made The Ringed City just a freaking nightmare. I tried the first boss fight (Demon In Pain and Demon From Below I think?) about a dozen times, with and without summons, even tried straight katana melee and zero pyro, couldn't get it. I know I could ultimately farm fingers for Rosaria and switch builds, but the time it would take me to do that would probably be about half a new playthrough for a melee build.

Though really playing through with a brand new character sounds kind of fun now that I think of it.

There is a finger early on in the undead settlement and the demon twin boss drops the best weapon for pyros in the game
A good tactic for the demons is use the black knight sword, it does extra damage to them.

To be honest i have no good tactic for Midir, use lightning, best advice.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Midir cheapest boss fight in DS3 unless you're character is a sorcery build and you use,snap freeze.Really that spell eats away midir hp.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finished a dex-build NG run on Dark Souls 3. Certainly a different experience playing it that way instead of a Pyromancer like I did both runs before, makes the game feel quite a lot like Bloodborne, which makes sense I suppose. I don't agree with the various articles that paint the Sellsword Twinblades as the easiest weapon in the game, though, I found several of the bosses to be significantly harder that way than with the Pyro.

Finally went ahead and got Nioh Collection for PS5. Transferred my N2 save over fine, but my N1 save was corrupted on my PS4 so I started a fresh run on that. I'd forgotten how easy it is to get sucked into Nioh, planned to just start up both games last night and instead ran up 3.5 more hours on my level 206 character in N2 finishing up most of the optional DLC missions I'd skipped before.

The PS5 upgrade isn't mind-blowing, but full 4K at 60 fps is certainly nice. The 120 fps mode sounds awesome, but my LG OLED is just old enough that it doesn't support such.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is a good weapon those twinblades but you get no shield. Even though you can't turtle with shields like dark souls 1/2 they are still an important defense option. Blocking magic/arrows and dodging at the last possible second with shield up. Should you fail to dodge you just eat stamina. A very good option for those new to the game learning dodging cues.

I always though that straight swords were the easiest, potentially the best for Player vs everyone. When the game released the dark sword was just wrecking everything, then they nerfed it. Now its still good but obviously nerfed.

Straight swords have good stamina,can stun lock enemies, and are fast enough to dodge if need be when you overcommit. Strength weapons suck in this game tbh due to their retarded stamina consumption, enemies being bloodbourne fast, and poise not working. A lot of the enemies have hyper armor during certain frames of their attacks for weird reasons making shit annoying to deal with if you don't stagger.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Lothric Knight Sword ftw! Strength weapons are viable i have made several builds using ultras or hammers the trick is to watch stamina consumption and dont over do it. Most enemies in the game can be one shot amd a single strike and roll on a boss can be absolutely devastating. You just have to learn to play a different style.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Lothric Knight Sword ftw! Strength weapons are viable i have made several builds using ultras or hammers the trick is to watch stamina consumption and dont over do it. Most enemies in the game can be one shot amd a single strike and roll on a boss can be absolutely devastating. You just have to learn to play a different style.

Lothric Knight sword is great, comparable to the Silver Knight sword in DS1.

Before the patches, DS3 was all about strength and the big weapons. You could one shot a lot of enemies and invaders with a decent strength build. Before they nerfed it down, the Fume Ultra Greatsword was one of the best weapons.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Currently playing a NG run on SotFS right on the heels of finishing runs in every other major Souls game and multiple runs in both Nioh games, and I gotta say that DSII just doesn't hold up like the rest do. The minute-to-minute gameplay is mostly fun, but the game feels unfocused and over-reliant on boss fights, many of which aren't good. Its DLC areas and most of the DLC bosses are still really good, IMO, but I'm only about halfway through the main game and I'm not sure I want to bother with the rest to get to them.

Edit: who am I kidding I'll still play it it's DS.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Currently playing a NG run on SotFS right on the heels of finishing runs in every other major Souls game and multiple runs in both Nioh games, and I gotta say that DSII just doesn't hold up like the rest do. The minute-to-minute gameplay is mostly fun, but the game feels unfocused and over-reliant on boss fights, many of which aren't good. Its DLC areas and most of the DLC bosses are still really good, IMO, but I'm only about halfway through the main game and I'm not sure I want to bother with the rest to get to them.

Edit: who am I kidding I'll still play it it's DS.
1st Sin is a good game. It's just the worst in the Souls Series. It wasn't made by Miyazaki and it shows. It has the best pvp though.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Trailer is up finally for game play on elden ring and the game will be cross gen.
[video]

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
YEEESSSSS on Elden Ring. Hell F'n yes sir. Pretty ballsy actually putting up a release date that far in advance nowdays, but I'm not complaining.

Finished my run on SotFS. Oddly enough, I liked the later levels quite a bit more than the early ones this time, kinda felt opposite of DS1, sharper design on the last few instead of just hitting copy/paste and doing dumb bosses like in DS1. 2 has far simpler levels than DS1, which I don't mind. Reminds me a lot of Demon's Souls how they're shorter and much easier to parse.

Had zero problems with Nashandra but Aldia was much more difficult than the first time through. Only took 4 Giants' Souls for Vendrick so he was a little more challenging but still dumb in general, but his lore is still cool.

Overall I still like SotFS a lot, but it's just not as polished as the other games in the proper lineage.