PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
...and you're rolling on an unmodded SuperGrafx, too, with a stock PSU, right? That's my setup.

I only have a Duo to compare with, so I don't have anything else to test with.

nevets14

n00b
...and you're rolling on an unmodded SuperGrafx, too, with a stock PSU, right? That's my setup.

I only have a Duo to compare with, so I don't have anything else to test with.

No, TG-16 with stock PSU also tried with the CD Unit PSU, got buzz. Also tried a different TG-16 still produced buzz.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Good points.

From your earlier comment, you said you're using retro accessories SCART cables. Are those plain ol' vanilla ones, or did you get the shielded ones?

Not certain, most likely the shielded ones if I had the option.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
^ You should in on that translation romhack, Syn. Works like a charm on the SSDS3.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have it ;)

In a earlier video on FB, I used Drac to show buzzing. I shot basically the same video with the RA cables for comparison. The difference is dramatic.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Loving the device!! When you're old and busy with life, even the convenience of not having to burn a disc and swap them to play a diff game is huge. I just played through Riot Zone...never played before. Music is so fuckin' good!

Re: buzzing, I can detect it, but only when all else is quiet. It doesn't impact my enjoyment whatsoever. If someone who thinks it's more than that could post a vid, that would be good for comparison.
Other than the SSD3, system and cables, you've got to be sure that everything else is tight as well. Your system is only as good as its weakest link. Grounding, shielding and proper power regulation are key.
If you're going to be nitpicky about stuff, then you've also got to hold yourself a certain standard as well.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I was having sync problems with a retro-gaming-accessories composite-video-as-sync cable through both a Framemeister and an OSSC, but not my PVMs. Maybe this was due to the capacitor thing, based on what Voultar said. I switched to a PACKAPUNCH cable, and no more problems. There is some VERY FAINT, barely noticeable diagonal line noise through the OSSC, but it's not visible through the Framemeister or on a PVM. The only other video problem I'm having is jailbars, but that's the PCE itself and has nothing to do with the SSDS3. So far, I have yet to play a CD game where the SD card access buzzing is audible over the game music.

I have to agree with some of the other posters, that for some reason people's standards when it comes to stuff like this has just gotten completely insane. It's like it has to be perfection or nothing. I used to use one of those SNES floppy drive things. When Everdrives came out, I was blown away. Didn't matter that some games didn't work.

The SSDS3 is more than worth the asking price as it is now. If the buzzing thing gets mitigated or fixed completely, great. If not, live with it. It's like some of you don't remember what it was like playing games through an RF cable back in the day.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I could load a bad video but that won't help. Believe me, one of the four cables I tried was really bad. I don't doubt it when someone reports buzzing.

I've early adopted a number of projects and watched a lot of other projects. You have to be willing to adapt and not expect things to adapt to you.

If you get bored, really bored, look at projects for the Atari 7800. Expansion modules delays, like people paid 4 or 5 years ago. Multi carts that work with a handful of systems.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
I used to use one of those SNES floppy drive things. When Everdrives came out, I was blown away. Didn't matter that some games didn't work.

I still have one of those in a box somewhere. Was BLOWN away at the time. The surge of ROM carts and ODEs has made it so accessible to play a library of games in seconds. I still buy games, some expensive ones, but would NEVER have the oppty to try out so many if not for this tech.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They help you choose the physical copies you wish to own. Or which are expendable, lol.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Still waiting on that list of games.

Every game for me including the SSDS3 menu...but only with the HDRetrovision cables and only noticeable on an HDTV.

It very well might be my SuperGrafx's original PSU. The SGX + SSDS3 + HDR cables all need juice. It might be slightly underpowered as-is. I've ordered a new replacement.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
They help you choose the physical copies you wish to own. Or which are expendable, lol.

Yep on both fronts. I find that I dedicate more play time to the ones I invest in. Also the arcade/shooters/beat 'em ups I'll play many times, so buying a complete copy is attractive there too.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Every game for me including the SSDS3 menu...but only with the HDRetrovision cables and only noticeable on an HDTV.

It very well might be my SuperGrafx's original PSU. The SGX + SSDS3 + HDR cables all need juice. It might be slightly underpowered as-is. I've ordered a new replacement.

My hdr cables arrived today, I have a new ps too for my SuperGrafx. I guess I'll test that soon.

Edit My Vizio wouldn't accept the signal directly. My Samsung worked but buzzed. My Toshiba 27" crt worked perfectly.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
My hdr cables arrived today, I have a new ps too for my SuperGrafx. I guess I'll test that soon.

Edit My Vizio wouldn't accept the signal directly. My Samsung worked but buzzed. My Toshiba 27" crt worked perfectly.

Good to hear. If you are planning on using the cables, might want to flip that cap in for no other reason than abundance of caution.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'll get someone to flip it as my iron skills are limited.

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict

Were you getting consistent buzz or did it modulate with SD card access?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Constant so I didn't even go past the menu. That's the set I use with the xrgb3 so I'm good.

Loukey

n00b
I can't wait to give mine a try. They shipped it all the way back on the 20th, but I was dumb and chose Correos.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Make sure to check the working setups thread for the best possible enjoyment right out of the box ;)

comp1demon

n00b
Looks like the lord Voultar is on the case for helping out here.. He is doing some First revision debugging.

He just posted this...

[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981667556921630721[/video]

Last edited:

Loukey

n00b
Looks like the lord Voultar is on the case for helping out here.. He is doing some First revision debugging.

He just posted this...

[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981667556921630721[/video]

If rgb addon is cheap, may be a nice way to salvage v1 boards.