Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
Spoiler:
I hate the design of the Play-Station controllers (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4). They are so uninspired, stock and plain.
agreed!
just they offer more inputs than dc.
ergonomically is subjective naturally. :D
one thing that's not carried on i'm aware of, is the vmu idea,
aside playstation, not sure of a save progress device doubling up as it's own game console....of sorts.

Attachments

• SCP-0021.JPG
    SCP-0021.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 179

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The VMU (as a second display) was a good idea. Especially for multiplayer football games.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The dreamcast had the first decent analog thumb-stick. Hall effect sensors don't wear or oxidize.

I won't disagree with this but the god damn triggers were fragile as fuck. I remember playing with it for Street Fighter III and they were prone to break easily.

Also the VMU was nice but Sega should have gone with some kind of rechargeable battery for it. It would have made playing with that thing on the go much more enjoyable if you didn't have to worry about buying replacements so much.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Next Generation Magazine, No. 29, May 1997 article about how the N64 isn't living up to expectations.

An interesting read about lack of third-party support due to tools and insights being withheld from third-party developers amongst other contemporary (and resonant) criticisms that are leveled here.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Also the VMU was nice but Sega should have gone with some kind of rechargeable battery for it. It would have made playing with that thing on the go much more enjoyable if you didn't have to worry about buying replacements so much.

Those things full on munched batteries like the cookie monster.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
mystical-ninja-starring-goemon-07.png

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
The N64 was a good console back then, the 3d effect was fantastic. I remember seeing it for the first time at Walmart... But it aged very poorly. It looks like a mess, particularly on a modern tv.

There were many good games : the 2 Zelda, Mario, the 2 Banjo, Donkey Kong, etc. But no way that I'll go through these games again on this console.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Just to add to HMG's point, a stock 64 only outputs composite. Even I have an rgb modded 64 and it's my least used Nintendo console. You can turn off some of the filters with a Game Shark too.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Ha ha, I even used to use a s-video cable prior.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
You ever thought your modern TV makes N64 games look worse than they normally do on a tube TV?
I tried both. And both look like a mess. That's why I say it aged poorly, at that time we found it good, not knowing better. I have good memories of playing it, the games were great, but the graphics were good only for that time. The big asset of the N64 was the 3d effects, and it was outdated very fast.

The SNES and its beautiful 2d sprites has aged well. But the N64 was at the beginning of 3d gaming, and will always look better in our memories. Like the 3d games on the Playstation.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m on a waiting list for an UltraHDMI, it’s expensive but the before and after comparisons on YouTube on a modern TV are impressive. Especially with DeBlur.

You can now get RGB mod with DeBlur as well, which is a good and cheaper option if you already have a decent scaling unit.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I tried both. And both look like a mess. That's why I say it aged poorly, at that time we found it good, not knowing better. I have good memories of playing it, the games were great, but the graphics were good only for that time.

The graphics were never good. You can say that you didn't know they were bad, but that isn't an all encompassing statement you can make. Anyone who had tried to play the same games on N64 as on PC or Dreamcast would immediately be able to tell which one was superior. When 100% of the multiplatform games on N64 look and play like shit, the whole thing sucks. Its just too bad the exclusives (the good ones anyways) never got an HD remaster or ported to another console (like Gamecube or Wii) where the games could actually look good.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Lulz "N64 didn't look as good as hardware that came out years later. Look at the N64 vs the PS3, total shit!" Nice argument, doll collector.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Based on the snippets seen, the 3DO M2 would have beaten the N64 graphically if it had ever been released, the graphics here almost look like Model 3 Scud Race quality, and that level of power was out of consumers hands till the Dreamcast in late 1998.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Based on the snippets seen, the 3DO M2 would have beaten the N64 graphically if it had ever been released, the graphics here almost look like Model 3 Scud Race quality, and that level of power was out of consumers hands till the Dreamcast in late 1998.

You're joking yes?

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lulz "N64 didn't look as good as hardware that came out years later. Look at the N64 vs the PS3, total shit!" Nice argument, doll collector.
Exactly my thought. You can't compare dreamcast to N64... The 3d effects from 1996 was a kind of a breakthrough and spectacular at that time, it's kind of a pioneer in this domain, like the PS1. It's just that after the newer consoles perfected it and found better ways to do it, and made them look like shit.

So at that time it was great but it aged poorly.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I read some of the responses, I agree most N64 games do not look good today. A few years ago i tried Sin and Punishment on an emulator for OSX, and that looked amazing, i dont know if it was upscaled but graphically i was impressed. When it comes to popular games like Mario Kart, Mario 64, Jet Force Jemini, there were a lot i liked and didn't like (I never liked Mario 64, BTW), but i agree that a lot of them do deserve an HD Remake, Conker got one, and I really hope we do get an ocarina of time HD (on an actual console, that DS shit was BS)... That being said...

What a lot of people don't talk much about is MK Trilogy, I bought this game when UMK3 was out on arcade and i couldn't believe to this day how faithful it was to the arcade counter part, when i played this from arcade to N64 i couldn't tell the difference back in the day, gameplaywise, the game did change a bit. The reason I loved this version was because if you were playing at the arcade a lot you knew load times were a no go, hence the reason why i never bothered with other consoles, it was my #1 pet peeve why i didn't like the PS1 as a system to this day. Anyway, i dug up some stuff and found MK tournaments that run MK Trilogy and was impressed, apparently it's like an updated version of UMK3 (think of 98UM vs 98UMFE), it feels like MKT was the ultimate version of MK3. I've seen a lot of videos on youtube how the other versions of the game were def better,i mean they def had more content, but competitive play and even just gatherings, there is no contest the N64 was the version to go. A lot of people tend to disregard this game, but it's one of the very very very few games on the N64 that def. aged very well, and i would def like to see an HD remake or something similar be re released on newer consoles.

there is a tournament where MK Reo talks about it, and you guys should def take a look at it, it is def something worth checking out.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I read some of the responses, I agree most N64 games do not look good today. A few years ago i tried Sin and Punishment on an emulator for OSX, and that looked amazing, i dont know if it was upscaled but graphically i was impressed. When it comes to popular games like Mario Kart, Mario 64, Jet Force Jemini, there were a lot i liked and didn't like (I never liked Mario 64, BTW), but i agree that a lot of them do deserve an HD Remake, Conker got one, and I really hope we do get an ocarina of time HD (on an actual console, that DS shit was BS)... That being said...

What a lot of people don't talk much about is MK Trilogy, I bought this game when UMK3 was out on arcade and i couldn't believe to this day how faithful it was to the arcade counter part, when i played this from arcade to N64 i couldn't tell the difference back in the day, gameplaywise, the game did change a bit. The reason I loved this version was because if you were playing at the arcade a lot you knew load times were a no go, hence the reason why i never bothered with other consoles, it was my #1 pet peeve why i didn't like the PS1 as a system to this day. Anyway, i dug up some stuff and found MK tournaments that run MK Trilogy and was impressed, apparently it's like an updated version of UMK3 (think of 98UM vs 98UMFE), it feels like MKT was the ultimate version of MK3. I've seen a lot of videos on youtube how the other versions of the game were def better,i mean they def had more content, but competitive play and even just gatherings, there is no contest the N64 was the version to go. A lot of people tend to disregard this game, but it's one of the very very very few games on the N64 that def. aged very well, and i would def like to see an HD remake or something similar be re released on newer consoles.

there is a tournament where MK Reo talks about it, and you guys should def take a look at it, it is def something worth checking out.

MK Trilogy was better on the PSX and had more characters

also the game is kind of a mess. UMK3 is a more solid game, MKTrilogy is for having drunk sleepover parties with like 10 guys . . . . . and then dosing them all with LSD . Mortal Kombat is fucking crazy on acid.

Spoiler:
drugs brah

also Mortal Kombat sucks