Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
N64 signified the start of everything has to be 3d. It was the 1st system that couldn't 2d worth a shit. Considering we are in a forum about a company who is known for 2d games is it really that suprising?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
N64 signified the start of everything has to be 3d. It was the 1st system that couldn't 2d worth a shit. Considering we are in a forum about a company who is known for 2d games is it really that suprising?

N64 had 2 editions of Bust a Move, a 2D Neo Geo game.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It was the 1st system that couldn't 2d worth a shit. Considering we are in a forum about a company who is known for 2d games is it really that suprising?
Couldn't do 2D? Or didn't have many 2D games?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Mischief Makers and Bangai-o were both 2D, and both were more or less on par with what the Saturn and PlayStation were putting out at the same time.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Mischief Makers and Bangai-o were both 2D, and both were more or less on par with what the Saturn and PlayStation were putting out at the same time.

Hardly.

Mischief Makers appears to be fully polygonal. And assuming those tiny things on the screen are actually sprites, Bangaio wouldn't prove as a good representation of something akin to late 90's Saturn/PSX 2D power.

I mean

VS

EDIT: I mean I guess I should be using other treasure games as examples too.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Hardly.

Mischief Makers appears to be fully polygonal. And assuming those tiny things on the screen are actually sprites, Bangaio wouldn't prove as a good representation of something akin to late 90's Saturn/PSX 2D power.

Fair enough - I remember Mischief Makers at least making some use of scaling and rotation that was beyond what a SNES could offer, but it's honestly been years and years since I last played it. I still have an N64 but it just gathers dust. Can't argue with your counter-example either.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Fair enough - I remember Mischief Makers at least making some use of scaling and rotation that was beyond what a SNES could offer, but it's honestly been years and years since I last played it. I still have an N64 but it just gathers dust. Can't argue with your counter-example either.

Maybe this game is a good example of something "on par" with the other consoles, but then again, I've heard
this isn't actually sprite based (which surprises me).

warning there is awful talking in this video

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I still haven’t beaten DK64 to this day. Made it to the last level and said fuck it!

That game paired with the Donkey Kong Country CGI show made everything bizarre to the senses as a child in the 90s. The bad hit detection and scattered nature of the N64 game was dark and akin to a scary ill trip. I think I would try playing it again, when I get around to scooping up an N64 (yeah its a bad console but I love the Zelda games and SM64. I grew up with that console too!!) but I will probably give up or get disoriented.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You know what incels like? Yoshi’s Island

Good 2D graphics mind. But rusty nails on chalkboard Yoshi singing.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You know what incels like? Yoshi’s Island

Good 2D graphics mind. But rusty nails on chalkboard Yoshi singing.

I actually found all the melons in that game. The perfect ending was a waste of time. Never again.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't have time to read all of the posts in this thread but I'd just like to add that I, like I'm assuming everyone else has mentioned, also really liked the n64 controller.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
I bet if they would have just added analog controls to the SNES controller. Then released the N64 with a CD-ROM drive. People wouldn't hated it is bad. A cigarette in your mouth with a bindfold.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If the only game that had been released for the system had been Mario64, along with said controller, it would still have been one of the greatest systems ever.
Infact it probably would have been even greatererer.

That, Pilot Wings, Starfox and the Zeldas are all you'd ever need to know

Edit: a dedicated Mario64 N64 would be awesome (conceptually)

Last edited: