Uber tipping - yay or fuck nay?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We don't even have Uber or Lyft here. It becomes legal in a week.

Right, because the lobbyists convinced NY state to limit uber to the NYC area. This was total bullshit.

Personally, i like ride sharing programs, because half the time i don't want to drive at all. I want to read the news or chat online, relax. But I see this trend of Uber going the wrong direction. They have the PR burning the midnight oil to convince us that Uber will fail unless they charge as much as cabs.

No, this isn't true. And no, these companies aren't working by subsidizing our rides. I think they are pushing these stories lately to make people less angry when the prices get jacked through the roof (the VCs want ROI, and goshdarnit, they're going to get it!).

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Restaurants = always 20%...and don't anyone dare discount the booze. You gotta tip on the whole bill, not just the stuff you chew

Coffee = a buck

Bar = a buck for a beer, two bucks if I order something complex (I never order something complex)

Bellboy = couple bucks a bag, bit more if I packed bricks or something

Valet = couple bucks max

but restaurant, unless someone fucks up royally, 20%. It's the cost of going out. If servers were paid a decent wage, the $18 meal would cost $28....whether it's tip or increased price, it's gonna cost you the same

I'll go with this, and add the 10% for carryout at a dine-in that gives me sauces, utensils, rolls, etc. to go that was previously mentioned.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i would be more stingy if i made less. No doubt.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'll go with this, and add the 10% for carryout at a dine-in that gives me sauces, utensils, rolls, etc. to go that was previously mentioned.

And that's your money. You should be able to spend it as you please, without obligation.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Right, because the lobbyists convinced NY state to limit uber to the NYC area. This was total bullshit.
).

That isn't quite accurate.

It had more to do with a quirk in an old insurance law which gave Ride Sharing a loophole if operated through the NYC Taxi Commission.

That being said, lobbying efforts were directed at not amending the law to allow Uber to operate statewide. Of course, Uber and Lyft dumped a lot more money on lobbying and advertising (which was used to curry favorable news coverage).

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That isn't quite accurate.

It had more to do with a quirk in an old insurance law which gave Ride Sharing a loophole if operated through the NYC Taxi Commission.

That being said, lobbying efforts were directed at not amending the law to allow Uber to operate statewide. Of course, Uber and Lyft dumped a lot more money on lobbying and advertising (which was used to curry favorable news coverage).

That makes sense. Personally, I prefer whatever offers the most options for a competitive atmosphere.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I hate tipping. I find it as a concept to be reprehensible. Both as the person doling out money to these unwashed hands. And as the peasant begging for a shilling to cross their palms. I find it to be something I avoid at all costs. Thank goodness it's not really done here.

Restaurant: if I have cash, I'll leave something. Otherwise fuck you.
Taxi: not a chance
Uber: the fuck? Do we have that here? Google says we do. I never used it.
Coffee: who tips for that?
Carry out: not a hope
Delivery guy: nope

People here get paid a minimum wage of €9.00 an hour for whatever job. I'm not here to be the icing on their cake. If they want more, go apply. The jobs are there. Yeah you might have to do a couple years in a call center before you can move into something nicer. But fuck don't assume the position and ask me for a hand out.

When I go back to America on visits however I'm stung with the harsh reality that these schmucks don't even get the benefit of the €9 an hour lube up. They get $2 an hour, no holidays, no health insurance, no universal healthcare, no maternity leave, no guarantee, no nothing. So I will throw out a few piteous bucks here or there. I don't think I could move back. Not that I couldn't get a good job in the states. I'm sure I could. But the archaic system that people are stuck in that rapes them no matter what. Even more so if you're black. Is a fucking joke. Tipping is just the tip of that iceberg.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
these people work their ass off, possibly longer hours than you or I, and often serving unruly people

gimme a fuckin break

Marek

Banned
This thread is one of the all time worst.

Not just because I live off tips at present. I won't tend bar forever, but you better fuckin believe I'll stay tipping 20% for food and a dollar a drink so long as the service was good, or even if the service is bad - as long as it's a bar I can raise absolute hell at (wrestling, falling off barstools, playing metal on the jukebox, etc.)

Wasabi and Kim are both faggots, regardless, and their argument boils down to this:

giphy.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Poppy I also need to confirm I am a humongous faggot, but I would tip generously if I visited your establishment.

BECAUSE SOCIETY SAYS I HAVE TO

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This thread is one of the all time worst.

Not just because I live off tips at present. I won't tend bar forever, but you better fuckin believe I'll stay tipping 20% for food and a dollar a drink so long as the service was good, or even if the service is bad - as long as it's a bar I can raise absolute hell at (wrestling, falling off barstools, playing metal on the jukebox, etc.)

Wasabi and Kim are both faggots, regardless, and their argument boils down to this:

giphy.gif

You're a part of the slave establishment, Tennesseean.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
these people work their ass off, possibly longer hours than you or I, and often serving unruly people

gimme a fuckin break
Boo fucking hoo. I've worked in fast food, I've been a line cook, waiter, chef, manager. The pay is shit, the work is hard, and I got out of that business. Don't pigeonhole yourself. Get a better fucking job. Anything where you have to rely on the kindness of strangers means you will get burned. You wanna drop reservoir dogs references. Here's one: learn to fucking type.

In my time in restaurants the only people who stayed there for more than a year or two were the criminals, baby factories, and people who have no real social skills. Anyone else with any sense jump that ship as soon as they get the chance.

Id tip poppy though. Cause I like the guy.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Do you have to declare tips when it comes to your tax return? I'd imagine a truck load of taxable income goes missing down that route. I'm surprised that alone isn't enough to have the government working at stamping it out.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I was in a lot of places, where they should've tipped me for staying, I still did it. Anyway, no tipping necessary at my shops.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do you have to declare tips when it comes to your tax return? I'd imagine a truck load of taxable income goes missing down that route. I'm surprised that alone isn't enough to have the government working at stamping it out.

Technically yes. But a lot of waiters don't declare their tips. I know a guy who got burned by the government for not paying tax on tips and was fined around $10000.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Boo fucking hoo. I've worked in fast food, I've been a line cook, waiter, chef, manager. The pay is shit, the work is hard, and I got out of that business. Don't pigeonhole yourself. Get a better fucking job. Anything where you have to rely on the kindness of strangers means you will get burned. You wanna drop reservoir dogs references. Here's one: learn to fucking type.

In my time in restaurants the only people who stayed there for more than a year or two were the criminals, baby factories, and people who have no real social skills. Anyone else with any sense jump that ship as soon as they get the chance.

Id tip poppy though. Cause I like the guy.
that's a whole lotta words to justify being a cheapskate

I'm not convinced yet

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
that's a whole lotta words to justify being a cheapskate

I'm not convinced yet

Imagine if you had to tip doctors.

"oh no, [insert ethnicity] patients are cheapskates. I don't want to serve them. If I do I'll just jerk off in them while they're under anesthesia"

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The tipping thing also is a question of style. Some have it, some don't, that's about it.

"Get a better job then" is easier said than done in some cases.