Any electricians in the house?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I've got this bank of lights above the bathroom mirror.

On the far right are two burnt bulbs. If I replace them, they burn out within 3 days. Never had to replace the others.

It's a fun puzzle. I seem to remember something about step-down resistors when lights are in a circuit. I've got a multimeter, and some other tools. Should I stab the ground lead into my phone multiple times until an electrician answers?

20170509_131010.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.

Alright Picard, you win. Try this:

There are three switches in the basement. One of the switches turns on a lightbulb upstairs on the 3rd floor. You can only check on the lightbulb once due to a large (evil) (monkey). How do you figure out which switch turns on the light bulb?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just replace the whole light fixture. Those specific light fixtures you could find at home depot for like $20 or get something nicer.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Alright Picard, you win. Try this:

There are three switches in the basement. One of the switches turns on a lightbulb upstairs on the 3rd floor. You can only check on the lightbulb once due to a large (evil) (monkey). How do you figure out which switch turns on the light bulb?

Turn on switch 1 and leave it a while. Turn it off and turn on switch 2.

Go upstairs - if the light is on, it's switch 2. If it's off but the bulb is warm it's switch 1. If it's off and the bulb is cold it's switch 3.

I'll admit I checked that online after I worked it out and found out I was right, but I'm so fucking happy with myself right now that I've just awarded myself an extra pip on my ensign's collar.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Just replace the whole light fixture. Those specific light fixtures you could find at home depot for like $20 or get something nicer.

Right! Ending is better than mending.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

As a former sparky this is how I'd have fixed it. A cheap fixture like that doesn't hold up forever in a higher moisture environment like a bathroom. Things corrode and which leads to higher resistance and next thing you know it's eating lightbulbs daily. Things get far too corroded on cheap light fixtures to even bother attempting to fix em. Which is why we just replaced em when they got like this...

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thanks. The dickheads designed the tile around this thing expecting it to last forever, which made me hope to have to not replace it. They also put a countertop over the toilet. I'll try to locate a match for the lighting fixture.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
As a former sparky this is how I'd have fixed it. A cheap fixture like that doesn't hold up forever in a higher moisture environment like a bathroom. Things corrode and which leads to higher resistance and next thing you know it's eating lightbulbs daily. Things get far too corroded on cheap light fixtures to even bother attempting to fix em. Which is why we just replaced em when they got like this...

Yea, I'm thinking it's Moisture and corrosion inside that's causing the light bulbs to go out. I had those same light fixtures when I first purchased my home, they are the cheapest light fixtures money could buy. Had to Spackle and paint my bathrooms anyways so replacing them with more elegant and better quality fixtures wasn't a problem.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner

I am an electrician (general foreman for a commercial/Industrial contractor) and I agree with this guy^^^

Also make sure your bathroom gets enough ventilation (like having your fan on a timer) and the next one should last quite a bit longer.

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Yea, I'm thinking it's Moisture and corrosion inside that's causing the light bulbs to go out. I had those same light fixtures when I first purchased my home, they are the cheapest light fixtures money could buy. Had to Spackle and paint my bathrooms anyways so replacing them with more elegant and better quality fixtures wasn't a problem.

we call them "commercial grade" because they are the cheapest to buy in bulk when housing tracts are built.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Replace with LED's as they often have a higher tolerance.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Who has lights like that above their mirror? You dressing up as Marilyn Monroe?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Who has lights like that above their mirror? You dressing up as Marilyn Monroe?

It's an older cheaper style. Unfortunately if you put LEDs on they look awful. Mine had that until I replaced the entire vanity and lighting.

Just replace the fixture, there are some decent ones that won't break your bank and see relatively simple to wire together.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There's a window in my bath. You want to find out?

giphy.gif

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Thanks. The dickheads designed the tile around this thing expecting it to last forever, which made me hope to have to not replace it. They also put a countertop over the toilet. I'll try to locate a match for the lighting fixture.

FUUUUUU. Every bathroom in my house has those banjo countertops. INFURIATING!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Replace the vanity. It's got a short somewhere.