One of life's great mysteries

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Why hasn't Nintendo made a normal system without any gimmicks in years? Think Nintendo, think. It breaks my heart that I can never be excited about anything you do anymore. I just refuse to wave magic wands around or have a controller akin to a transformer on my lap.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They can no longer compete with Sony and Microsoft in offering better graphics, why would you even want a 3rd competitor? It makes no sense when there are so few differences between systems now, as well as PC gaming exploding in recent years. Instead they have discovered a lucrative niche with the Wii and their current model of business. I bet you're the kind of person who clings to the past and wishes for Sega to re-enter the hardware market, which would make no difference.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
They can no longer compete with Sony and Microsoft in offering better graphics, why would you even want a 3rd competitor? It makes no sense when there are so few differences between systems now, as well as PC gaming exploding in recent years. Instead they have discovered a lucrative niche with the Wii and their current model of business. I bet you're the kind of person who clings to the past and wishes for Sega to re-enter the hardware market, which would make no difference.

I feel that if they made a system similar to the Playstation 4 with up to date specs and a normal default controller they would crush it. You hit the nail on the head when you said that there are barely any differences between systems now; this is because they all have the same games that are all generally cheaper and better on the PC anyway.

Nintendo has some of the best exclusive IP's in the industry... They could easily be at the top again and change the console market. They've lost a lot of business because they've been making cheap feeling hardware with odd gimmicks that a ton of of people including many die-hard Nintendo fans despise and I won't even get into their atrocious online multiplayer system and store bought games which are attached to the specific consoles themselves...

You know you'd want to see Zelda on a normal controller with PS4-like specs backing it.

Edit: I want to be blown away again like I was when they released the N64 and I saw Mario for the first time in 3D sporting the latest in tech.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I must be the only person in the world who doesn't care about Sony and Microsoft consoles these days. They're glorified PCs running hyper-bloated software everyone thinks are "games". Even Nintendo has been disappointing me lately, no thanks to the Switch and their lack of anything good to play. Super Mario Odyssey looks like the beginning of the end. But honestly that's not too bad, the PS3 and 360 marked the beginning of the end ever since COD4.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I dont think the problem has to do with it being gimmicky, has more to do with 3rd party support.

It has Ultra SF2 so that's a great start. If it turns out somewhat decent, then the Switch was worth it.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I must be the only person in the world who doesn't care about Sony and Microsoft consoles these days. They're glorified PCs running hyper-bloated software everyone thinks are "games". Even Nintendo has been disappointing me lately, no thanks to the Switch and their lack of anything good to play. Super Mario Odyssey looks like the beginning of the end. But honestly that's not too bad, the PS3 and 360 marked the beginning of the end ever since COD4.

I have next to no interest in any current consoles either, aside from Nintendo ones. Well I should say, the games on Nintendo consoles; as they are generally AAA exclusives. I just never play them much because I haven't liked any of their non-portable console hardware since the post Gamecube days which makes me sad. Playstation and Xbox haven't always been so boring though; their original consoles had a ton of exclusives but the lucritive potential of multi-platform game releases has really seemed to put a nail in that coffin for us today.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I dont think the problem has to do with it being gimmicky, has more to do with 3rd party support.

It has Ultra SF2 so that's a great start. If it turns out somewhat decent, then the Switch was worth it.

Yea for sure. I think they could garner a lot more third party support though with more simplistic and straight forward hardware though as I think they would sell a lot more consoles this way and devs would see this. I can count a ton of people who no longer bother with Nintendo because of their hardware. The Wii U classic controller was mediocre at best so it was never a viable option for me; it felt and looked cheap and the d-pad was horrid, plus since it wasn't a standard pack in not all games supported it. This is why I'd love to see them focus on a normal controller setup and build quality to coincide with their awesome first party releases. Also, for the love of god they need to fix their online system.

I'm sure not many would complain if all the above happened; they certainly wouldn't lose business because of a moves like these. Another thing I wonder is why they have never released Pokemon on one of their consoles. I'm sure that would sell a ton of systems to kids who maybe only have their handhelds etc. It shocks me that one of their biggest IP's never had a non-handheld release!(not counting Pokemon Snap etc. as they play nothing like what the franchise is known for)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I feel that if they made a system similar to the Playstation 4 with up to date specs and a normal default controller they would crush it. You hit the nail on the head when you said that there are barely any differences between systems now; this is because they all have the same games that are all generally cheaper and better on the PC anyway.

Nintendo has some of the best exclusive IP's in the industry... They could easily be at the top again and change the console market. They've lost a lot of business because they've been making cheap feeling hardware with odd gimmicks that a ton of of people including many die-hard Nintendo fans despise and I won't even get into their atrocious online multiplayer system and store bought games which are attached to the specific consoles themselves...

You know you'd want to see Zelda on a normal controller with PS4-like specs backing it.

Man I disagree with you on just about every point. Nintendo can not and will not shake their kiddy image, this is what hurt them a lot with the Gamecube. So they cater to every market that isn't the usual demographic that buys Playstations and Xboxes and guess what, they have been wildly successful.

One thing to keep in mind is Nintendo has never made a console where the production cost of it is a loss for them. Trying to compete by making a stronger console is not on their business interests.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Man I disagree with you on just about every point. Nintendo can not and will not shake their kiddy image, this is what hurt them a lot with the Gamecube. So they cater to every market that isn't the usual demographic that buys Playstations and Xboxes and guess what, they have been wildly successful.

One thing to keep in mind is Nintendo has never made a console where the production cost of it is a loss for them. Trying to compete by making a stronger console is not on their business interests.

You could be right, I'm no business or market expert. I guess this is just more of what I'd like to see and what I know a lot of my peers would like as well. I think their image started to get hurt during the N64 days though even before the Gamecube. They lost a lot of their major 3rd party devs during that time with Square being the biggest. I know a lot of people who thought "Final Fantasy" and "RPG's" when they heard the SNES mentioned. I think a lot of people were expecting an SNES 2 back then and were really let down when a lot of the same types of games they were used to a Nintendo system having never happened due to may devs opting out of backing them anymore for whatever reason.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Y'all fogots have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. The Wii is awesome.

#240p4Life

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I feel that if they made a system similar to the Playstation 4 with up to date specs and a normal default controller they would crush it.

Waste of money. Nintendo's IP's are simple and cartoonish; they don't need the maximum horsepower for making lifelike graphics for Mario, lol

A normal controller would be nice though, yes.

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
I have 2 games for my Wii and skipped the Wii U. Pre-ordered the Switch, I'm really stoked this time around. Looks to be something to reinvigorate my interest in gaming. Love the handheld-console route they took. Though I take it this kinda eleminates the gameboy market?

Rocko

Galford's Armourer

They did, twenty years ago. Today Sony has the best exclusive IPs in the industry. But that's just my opinion.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Are you gonna dust off your feeble career and comeback from retirement? I want to get in this but I'm afraid its gonna be a classic Nintendo BS move where getting a switch is gonna be like getting a Wii back during release, I waited a year 'cause I couldn't bother chasing after one, too much hassle, although getting a wiiu was easy.

I'm happy with Nintendo, I have no complaints really. I just hope the pro controller doesn't suck. I find myself playing games while watching something else on the background like animal planet and stuff, the switch could be cool, I hope so, I'm just not sold on the hardware yet, it seems low quality, specially the D-pad but usually Nintendo does well with hardware, except that gamecube dpad was way too small, lol.

I'd like a switch themed after game&watch, would b awesome if it looked like those old calculators, it will bring in all the hipsters and the old G&W hounds like myself...just a thought for later down the road.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Waste of money. Nintendo's IP's are simple and cartoonish; they don't need the maximum horsepower for making lifelike graphics for Mario, lol

A normal controller would be nice though, yes.

The Wii U has the best "normal" controller of any current system.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

It's not a great start though. As much as I love fighting games, the category is niche. The type of people that are buying the Switch aren't buying it for a fighting game platform either, not to mention their shitty online plan they announced, I wouldn't expect that title to hit anything off. The controller isn't made for fighting games and I doubt people will get competitive enough to spend more money making their stick compatible or buying a new one for the Switch just to play an old fighting game on it that most people have forgotten about or say they love, play it for a week then forget it again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Some of us play HDR a lot, I certainly have slowed down 'cause I needed to diversify but I can come back and play the shit out of it, the game is really that great. If only they add more frames of animation, lol.

I'd really like a straight up ST graphics with both gameplay styles. I'd also like a detailed database per character, win ratio and roster vs ratio, reversal counter, super counter, super finisher counter, all the fucking counters possible to have a diagram for each character, just to analize your progress with all the characters, kinda like alpha 3 but better and more logical like instead of dumb attributes and shit.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I agree with this. Nintendo gave up on normal consoles too soon after the GameCube. If they had normal hardware, the third parties would come back. It wouldn't be that hard to dethrone the competition these days.

Xbox needs more family-friendly games. There's no reason it shouldn't all be on one console.

They ought to consider making a powerful console if the Switch succeeds mostly as a portable. They could support both.

I think all the older fans they've put off over the years would be more than willing to come back.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The GameCube had reasonably good hardware coupled with (in my opinion) largely lackluster first-party software. The best game on the GC was Resident Evil 4, as far as I'm concerned.

With the Wii, they went back to kicking it in the dick with first-party software, but the gimicky controls were a turn-off for me. Same for the Wii U. Now I stick to their handhelds, but I would love to see a non-gimicky home console running the kind of stuff that they're putting out on the DS/3DS (New SMB, Super Mario Maker, 2D Zeldas, Yoshi games, etc.) Honestly, I would have bought the Wii U just to play Super Mario Maker if the freaking thing hadn't been $300 right up until they stopped making it. If I want to spend $300 on gaming shit, it isn't going to be on a Nintendo console at this point.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
because it worked so well with the N64 and GameCube...

Nintendo must be losing billions, and i doubt they have tons of money in the bank.
Oh Wait, they have a gigantic bank account from good decisions. How did that possibly happen?

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nobody bought the N64 and GC, then over 100 million people bought the Wii. You figure it out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Lots of good points here. It can pretty easily summed up.

The N64 was cart based and a year late. Both the PS1 and the Saturn had a year jump on them, and both were CD based. Nintendo lost most "serious" outside support.

The Gamecube was goofy mini disc based, 2 years late to the DC, and 1 year late to the PS2, and then had to contend with the XBox. The developer support loss from the N64 generation continued.

After that, Nintendo stopped trying to be a big dog and decided to go after the elusive last remaining frontier, the "non-gamer". The Wii was vastly successful...but like most would expect, the "non-gamer" market quickly lost interest and returned to not gaming.

They've been tripping over their own shoe laces ever since, the WiiU is a commercial failure and I'm guessing the Switch will be more of the same. Starting with the collapse Nintendo/Sony joint venture of the early 90's, they have made one bad move after the next. If it wasn't for the GameBoy and their IPs lie Pokemon, they would have joined Sega in the grave.

On a personal note, I adore the GameCube, what a geat little system that thing could have been RE4 was beautiful.