MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
In another 15 years.... I can give you this:

15yrRainbowtag_zpsqlxv96cz.gif

YUP... it's slightly gay...

xROTx

Slightly? ;)

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
neosd,i known that it wasnt desined to work with converters,i could only try it.
but gona order in a few months 1 for my aes also.
and sell that converter with 161 in 1.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There is something very strange going on with the flashing times on the NeoSD. I am now trying the same sony sdcard you mentioned is fast (sony 16gig UHS1) with kof2003 and new firmware.

So to give some backstory first. The first firmware and scandisk sdcard gave me a flashtime of 4:19 with kof2003. The new firmware gave me a flash time of 3:37 for kof 2003. Now using the same flash card you mentioned would give a time around 2:50, I am only seeing a flash time of 3:27.

So the question is, where is 37 seconds being lost when using the same sdcard on different neosds... Any ideas?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
There is something very strange going on with the flashing times on the NeoSD. I am now trying the same sony sdcard you mentioned is fast (sony 16gig UHS1) with kof2003 and new firmware.

So to give some backstory first. The first firmware and scandisk sdcard gave me a flashtime of 4:19 with kof2003. The new firmware gave me a flash time of 3:37 for kof 2003. Now using the same flash card you mentioned would give a time around 2:50, I am only seeing a flash time of 3:27.

So the question is, where is 37 seconds being lost when using the same sdcard on different neosds... Any ideas?

My guess is some of these cards are fake - its really actually hard to tell a fake vs an original. On one occasion I've found a fake to be faster than the original (ironically)!

EDIT: The other thing I've found is if you format an SD card and use the wrong allocation size that can drasticaly affect performance - some SD cards become almost unusable at the wrong allocation size (must be some buffering related thing which is finely tuned to work with a specific size).

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
did test today the neo magic converter again with new firmware,same result.

Are you saying that the magic converters don't work? I wouldn't be surprised, but I wanted to check before I consider buying a magic converter from AliExpress.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
@gadget, I dont think its a fake card, I bought it from europe and not china. I formatted the card to 32k blocks, that is what neodev suggested to me in the past. As a referance I see it takes 50 seconds to move from the first erase cycle to say flashing.

neosd

Neosd Developer
@gadget, I dont think its a fake card, I bought it from europe and not china. I formatted the card to 32k blocks, that is what neodev suggested to me in the past. As a referance I see it takes 50 seconds to move from the first erase cycle to say flashing.

Hello,

You can try one of those pc tools to check read speed, this way you will know if the card is fake or not.

Thanks

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Maybe a stupid question but, is the erasing cycle impacted by the previous game size?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Aren't some of them supposed to be set to 64K / 128K blocks to get optimum speed? I've got a card that if its not set to the correct block size it runs half as fast as it should.

EDIT: I've bought 2 fake cards in europe so far! Yes they will have originated from China but people in europe are selling them.

I had a recent Samsung fake that looks absolutely identical to the original. 64Gb, runs very fast, but once you get over 30Gb ish, it dies and needs reformatting. What they are doing is messing with the parition info to make the drive think its twice as big as it actually is (most people wouldn't realise its a fake until they filled it up beyond 50%). But that card also runs like a dead dog if the block size is set below its default 128K.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech

50s is the normal time it would take to erase the flashes for one of the bigger games (kof2k3 for example). Can you try with different sector sizes? that should make a difference. It seems your flash is working as fast as the specs say, so it might be caused by something in the SD side.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Aren't some of them supposed to be set to 64K / 128K blocks to get optimum speed? I've got a card that if its not set to the correct block size it runs half as fast as it should.

EDIT: I've bought 2 fake cards in europe so far! Yes they will have originated from China but people in europe are selling them.

I had a recent Samsung fake that looks absolutely identical to the original. 64Gb, runs very fast, but once you get over 30Gb ish, it dies and needs reformatting. What they are doing is messing with the parition info to make the drive think its twice as big as it actually is (most people wouldn't realise its a fake until they filled it up beyond 50%). But that card also runs like a dead dog if the block size is set below its default 128K.

I'd recommend to anyone that buys flash media to download h2testw and run it on said flash before use.
It's awesome for sniffing out spoofed sizes and also give accurate read/write speeds while it's doing it.
I've been using it for years.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Doing a speed test with the card on pc is not really possible because I think the card reader is like 10 years old and I cant rule out that will slow down through put.

20170112_152146.jpg

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
@gadget,yep,it doesnt work.
the menu is totaly unrecognizable.
better buy neosd aes or converter that works with neosd.
its a total waste of money that crap.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

I had a recent Samsung fake that looks absolutely identical to the original...

i can confirm that ebay and even amazon are full of fake sandisk and samsung stuff - especially those sd cards...i would only buy a sd card directly from amazon and NEVER from a seller that sells over amazon..

geise

Mickey's Coach
Actual Newegg and not it's marketplace is your friend if you want a good MicroSD for next to nothing. Surprisingly Best Buy has deals quite frequently on sd cards if you're in the states.

@Gadget. Why not wait and get the AES version of the NeoSD?

I also want to say thanks for all the work you guys are doing on this!

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
When can I download the rom tools so I can get the SD card ready?

And making payments through PayPal could make the purchase easier, my card got frozen by the fraud department when I tried to pay the first time, I had to go to my bank and talk to the fraud line from there, the explanation they gave me is that the website is flagged as a scam site on the system so it blocks the transaction instantly.

Also is there any delay for the AES version?

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
go to chat and ask there,dont ask it here in this thread please.
srry,my fault @fenikso.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
go to chat and ask there,dont ask it here in this thread please.

He's asking for the conversion tool, not roms. The conversion tool can be gotten off of the NeoSD website after you have ordered. You have to make an account.

neosd

Neosd Developer
He's asking for the conversion tool, not roms. The conversion tool can be gotten off of the NeoSD website after you have ordered. You have to make an account.

Hello,

Axctualy both webshop and downloads app have separated databases, we update downloads database when we ship the items.

Thanks

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
@NeoSD

I debated on whether or not to send this in a PM or post this here were others could discuss it as well.

As you are aware, there is a glitch when playing Samurai Shodown V Special that happens in MAME and also the NeoSD multi. Quite a few pages back I mentioned this issue and Razoola confirmed it was most likely due to a bad dump of the V Roms.

Last week I sent my Samurai Shodown V special cart off to JMKurtz to have it redumped. But what we found was that the newly dumped roms where exactly the same as what is already in MAME. So it would seem the issue is either with how the roms are decrypted or maybe the emulation of the PCM2 ( my initial thought a few pages back ).

I know you guys are very busy, but was hoping you might be able to investigate the issue further as it would benefit your multi along with community.

You can find more about the problem here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269615-Status-SamSho-V-Special-Redump

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
When will AES be shipped? I dont want it to arrive when i am skiing. :-)

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
When will AES be shipped? I dont want it to arrive when i am skiing. :-)

Read the news section on their site.

But an educated guess would be early February considering there are no delays from any of the 3 different suppliers, also take in consideration this is assembled and tested before packing and sending, that takes time also, don't get anxious just give it time if it gets there then good if it doesn't just wait getting paranoid won't make it faster or easier.

Hey there are still guys waiting for their "messiah" to develop one! Like fanatics buy the cart and drink the kool-aid included, they will have to wait longer for that wonderful moment.