MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Looks great, outside of the small issues noted by the others.

One suggestion that I think would be cool. For the MVS label, have the color palette be red and white a la the Big Red cabinets, and have the AES label be like it is currently, black and gold. That way each variant will match the color schemes they're both best known for.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Looks great, outside of the small issues noted by the others.

One suggestion that I think would be cool. For the MVS label, have the color palette be red and white a la the Big Red cabinets, and have the AES label be like it is currently, black and gold. That way each variant will match the color schemes they're both best known for.

Agree with that , or at least different color strips, just to make a more noticeable difference between aes and mvs.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

First of all, thanks for the coments about the stickers, we keep working on those. Next friday we should have another small run of preseries shells so we will try to take some pictures with the stickers printed and glued on those, it should be about next monday.

On a side note, could anyone with a Daedalus MVS to AES converter to contact us ? We would like to send him the new firmware to see it works fine.

Thanks

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
@Gyrian, can you do a new cart mock up with the new version alianpdx posted (below);

neosd-offcenter.png

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hi guys heres a new(er) mockup with the logo centered according to the line space (and slug tank)
edit" i moved the top part also a slight bit downwards for the top sticker part on the cart.

http://alien.untergrund.net/neosd-offcenter.png
This looks great! Congratulations.
I too would like to see another mockup ;) But I guess it would be best for the NeoSD-Team to test it with one of their shell prototypes.
One question though: Why did you reposition the MVS logo and faded it into the tank? That looks strange to me, I think it was better in full white, above the graphics and in the bottom right corner...

The MVS shells the NeoSD-Team are having made will be styled/shaped much like homecarts... I don't think it would make much sense to have a red/white palette as the cart (shell) will be "alien" to the usual MVS experience anyhow...

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
@Gyrian, can you do a new cart mock up with the new version alianpdx posted (below)

You bet, here it is:

YRRDNpz.png

I think the tweaks have paid off a great deal, it's looking much improved! The top of the sticker is more pleasing as centered now. The Neo-Geo & MVS emblems remain a bit tricky since they are so close to the edge, it would have be very carefully cut to work as intended (I think it's safer to allow for a touch more slack here).

Also, what the hell, since I was already at it. :)

sZMIdwb.png

JKczjmP.png

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Is there any reason to buy an AES over an omega console if I'm just using it for flashcards? I do want to collect MVS cartridges & play those, but other than that, they're functionally the same right? An AES with a flash card would play the entire MVS rom Library wouldn't it? Sorry for the stupid question. Knowing me I'm probably going to own an Omega AND an AES just for the few boxed AES cartridges I want.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Is there any reason to buy an AES over an omega console if I'm just using it for flashcards? I do want to collect MVS cartridges & play those, but other than that, they're functionally the same right? An AES with a flash card would play the entire MVS rom Library wouldn't it? Sorry for the stupid question. Knowing me I'm probably going to own an Omega AND an AES just for the few boxed AES cartridges I want.

The AES is way prettier than an MVS board (before consolizing), and buying a CMVS may be more expensive than getting an AES, not to mention that if you have no soldering skills (for consolizing), the AES is ready to go out of the box.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The AES has memory card support. The RGB output can be made good if it isn't. I would go AES.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello,

On a side note, could anyone with a Daedalus MVS to AES converter to contact us ? We would like to send him the new firmware to see it works fine.

Thanks

Tested the new firmware 1.05 on AES with Unibios 3.1 + Daedalus converter.

Played a couple of games. They all work fine!

Don't know if you already finished your work on the UI.

However. Here's my feedback on a couple of minor things:

The single game auto scroll feature helps a lot. It would be also nice to have auto scroll for paging (left/right). But maybe with a slightly longer delay.

Wrapping around for single game scrolling (up/down) would be great. For example pressing up on the top of the list should scroll to the bottom.

I also noticed the filter options (hold button C) ORDER and HIDE BOOTLEGS are not saved.

Thanks again for this great flash card and the new firmware. :)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

The single game auto scroll feature helps a lot. It would be also nice to have auto scroll for paging (left/right). But maybe with a slightly longer delay.

Wrapping around for single game scrolling (up/down) would be great. For example pressing up on the top of the list should scroll to the bottom.

I also noticed the filter options (hold button C) ORDER and HIDE BOOTLEGS are not saved.

Yea your right, I brought up those first two points in the first review I did also.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Tested the new firmware 1.05 on AES with Unibios 3.1 + Daedalus converter.

Played a couple of games. They all work fine!

Don't know if you already finished your work on the UI.

Thanks for testing it. There have been a lot of internal changes and we wanted to make sure that it was still working at least with the converters that worked before. Also, it's possible that it works with stock bios now too (+ Daedalus), as there are some changes there, but we are not 100% sure. Can you check that? At least, it's still working as before :).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The AES has memory card support.
some MVS boards can be modded to have memory card support, too (VMCs or card readers - the MV2s even have the reader on board).

Last edited:

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Thanks for testing it. There have been a lot of internal changes and we wanted to make sure that it was still working at least with the converters that worked before. Also, it's possible that it works with stock bios now too (+ Daedalus), as there are some changes there, but we are not 100% sure. Can you check that? At least, it's still working as before :).

Ok, this time AES with stock BIOS + Daedalus converter.

And I have good news. :) The menu works now without holding Start. Just the same as with Unibios.

Thanks!

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy

If you're intetested in buying carts down the road, then you'd be better off with the Omega. It also has a much sturdier body, includes game saving, unibios and has high quality s-video, component and RGB output. An AES would require mods to get the same video quality and options, as well as unibios.

I prefer the Omega because of the strong shell, streamlined AES aesthetic and how it looks with a cart in it. But if you have an attachment to AES then get what you'd like most. Either way, you can't go wrong, but an AES will require upgrades to get the most out of the hardware, unless you buy one with the work done already.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
You bet, here it is:

YRRDNpz.png

I think the tweaks have paid off a great deal, it's looking much improved! The top of the sticker is more pleasing as centered now. The Neo-Geo & MVS emblems remain a bit tricky since they are so close to the edge, it would have be very carefully cut to work as intended (I think it's safer to allow for a touch more slack here).

Also, what the hell, since I was already at it. :)

sZMIdwb.png

JKczjmP.png
:eye::eye:

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
The unibios I understand, but what's this about having to mod the AES for better video quality? I thought it did RGB natively if I use a euro scart cable. In any case, I ended up buying an Omega earlier today. I'm sure it's well worth my money. Just have to settle on what controller I need. What's everyone's opinion on the best controller for someone who just bought a neo geo? The CD controller looks comfortable, but I hear it breaks easy & the button layout doesn't look ideal. This is probably the one thing I'm going to have the most trouble with. Even the kidney bean controllers are looking pricey these days.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

We just got an email from a customer telling us that it works on the blue phantom-1 converter

hi,
the blue phantom-1 converter works without Problems with the aes. i have stock firmwares. please write this to neogeo Forum,thanks. i want Register in the Forum.

best regards,

Thanks

Ok, this time AES with stock BIOS + Daedalus converter.

And I have good news. :) The menu works now without holding Start. Just the same as with Unibios.

Thanks!

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why are we worried about the MVS version working on AES via 3rd party converters? Especially when there is an AES version...