MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Just a quick update here to show that 4 slots are working with the Neo SD. I thought I would share this in advance of my update video (which will come later, perhaps when the shells arrive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhGPNnoBSQ

Hats off to the Neo SD team - my last firmware update landed on christmas day!! No kidding, the 25th - it was the best XMAS present for me lol.

Running perfectly on the MV-1FZ boards I have and the 4 slot too.

Mods - I've posted this on this thread too because lots of new members will land on this thread and not just the support thread.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
perfekt gadget,so it means they can now concentrate on make improvements.
main target was to solve first those problems with some boards.
exellent job neosd.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
perfekt gadget,so it means they can now concentrate on make improvements.
main target was to solve first those problems with some boards.
exellent job neosd.
Yes, and to be fair I think they've already made some improvements - from what I've seen in test firmware. Metal Slug X native (decryption / protection in tact) support is great too! Hopefully they might roll it out soon, I guess they just want to make sure its good on different MVS boards. The testing takes time - a LOT of time. I can only imagine how much time they've spent testing on all the boards they have. A lot of these kind of things end up where you spend 90% of your time on 10% of the problems, or is that 99% of time on 1% of problems...

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
I see that Neo SD updated the site to say that the AES version ships about 1/13/17. Haven't heard anything else about the option for faster shipping yet...Unless I missed it somewhere?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello everyone,

Just an small update about shipment/shells/firmware updates

I have been at the plastics factory today.
They say they will have the mold ready for the injection tests (seccond injection tests) on 13th january. Once they do the injection tests they will give us samples again, if the samples are ok we will proced with the shell production. We wont rush this cause once you pay the mold and say its ok, you cant do changes anymore.

About PCBS : Factory will come back to work on 9th, they will produce MVS batch on 9th or 10th (thats what the factory boss told me last week), and AES in the following week.

So, if shells pass our quality test we should have all shorted pretty fast.

I would like to explain that if we dont change dates or if we dont update the status of the production, its just cause we dont have news, factories have been closed during christmas so during this period there are no news. Take in mind that a lot of people in Spain are on vacations until chirstmas ends (it ends 6th of january here, but its friday, so most of the people get back to work at 9th january.

Again, bad times for production ....

About UPS shipping : still no contract signed, we will have it shorted this week. We will let you know when its ready, still not ready.

About firmware update : we have been doing validation for the last 7 days, the last firmware we sent to GadgetUK is our final release candidate, we still havent found a single bug so we plan to release it before we ship the next batches (aes and mvs).

Thanks

samaron

n00b
Finally got my flash cartridge that I ordered in early November! Really happy, so got to work right away. Hacked an old crappy shell from a bootleg game to fit the circuit boards. Loaded up a 16gb SD card with ROMs (only missing burningfpa.zip, but not really a great loss), everything checks out okay with the validator.

However, I'm having some issues. I read that this thread is the official support, so I'm seeking some advice. When I try to boot my console, i get a distorted image. The degree of distortion changes everytime I power the console on. I have tried several things like attemting to get into any Universe BIOS menus (nothing responds), holding down start while booting, flipping the switch on my converter, cleaned the pins etc. I were careful to only handle the boards on the edges and not touch any exposed parts. I did verify that my converter is still working by inserting other games. Perhaps I'm doing a simple mistake somehow that I don't realize? Any suggestions? Or are the distorted images how it looks like with an incompatible system? I read that people have it working with the same converter I have, so hopefully that's not the case.

What I'm using:
100 volt transformer (japanese console)
Neo Geo AES (049000 range serial number) with standard joystick
Daedalus converter (bought July 2014)
Universe BIOS v3.2 chip (piggyback install)
RGB SCART cable

I also own a memory card, but the battery has died so it isn't functional. Would this be required for it to work? The BIOS seems to default to Europe as region and console mode.

Picture of what I get when powering on my console:
gfx1.jpg

gfx2.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Is there any chance you have the boards oriented wrong?

Edit: and no, you don't require a memory card for the NeoSD to funtion properly.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yes, the front pcb with the neosd logo on it, should be looking to the tv.
Maybe he is plugging it on the opossite way

Is there any chance you have the boards oriented wrong?

Edit: and no, you don't require a memory card for the NeoSD to funtion properly.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Is the Neosd designed to fit in a regular Mvs cart shell? I remember Jeff Kurtz had some prototype clear mvs replacement shells. I actually have like 5 of them. Just curious if the neosd would fit in one.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Is the Neosd designed to fit in a regular Mvs cart shell? I remember Jeff Kurtz had some prototype clear mvs replacement shells. I actually have like 5 of them. Just curious if the neosd would fit in one.

Almost 99%, with original shells, you have to dremel the area near the SD slot even to just close the shell (I mean, even if you don;t want to drill a slot to insert/remove the card, the inner mold requires a bit of shaping)

TotalMoop

New Challenger
Such great work from the NEOSD/DEV Team. You have reinvigorated my NeoGeo needs and I cant wait to see what new features get added over time.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Interesting times ahead.
Just gotta sit back and wait for the knock at the door from Mr Postman :)

samaron

n00b

As mentioned, you need to cut out a slot for the SD card. Here is what it looks like in my case. The boards fit in the shell really nicely.

shell2.jpg

Any advice on the best make/ model SD card to use for these? I'm guessing that some models have slightly quicker access rates, which might help reduce the flash time for the NeoSD? Any advice gratefully received!