MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
so when will AES come out ?

One step at a time...

GEEZ... don't you read the thread?... the AES version isn't happening for a while (if ever..)...

We are WAITING on Raz's report...

xROTx

PS. The AES version will be a relativiley easy mod... I would assume...

EDIT: Now be a good n00b and just wait patiently on Raz's report.... like every other member... AND READ THE FOOKIN THREAD B4 you ask dumb quetsions...

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
right neosd is not announcing any additional projects until completion (working product)

nornor1

NEST Puppet
Whats the production batch run like? I get paid this friday, I hope there are still some left to make the 1st batch of carts. lol.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Whats the production batch run like? I get paid this friday, I hope there are still some left to make the 1st batch of carts. lol.

As today, we still got avaliable units for the first batch.
We will anounce when the first batch is sold. Take in mind that a batch takes 2-3 weeks to be produced, as soon as it gets sold we will produce more. We dont know how many we will be able to produce before christmas, it depends on the factories.

Thanks

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
They stated earlier it fits in a standard mvs shell if you cut a hole for the sd slot. So i would assume yes if you remove the sd card or cut a piece out you shockbox.

Thats correct.
We dont have a shockbox, but we think that you dont have to remove the microsd to fit into it.

Thanks

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Really tempted!

Looks great, and I have plenty of left over MVS shells to enclose the boards.

What's up with the payment option though? I'm always weary of some unknown overseas credit card processor.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Cant wait for more news,, this really looks promising. and AES version would be ballz..

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Waiting on Raz's review of the PCB before looking to put money down.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK Lads... A quick update... the device is on it's way to Raz... he will roadtest the shit out of this.. SO PLEASE WAIT!

I have been asked about teh AES version... here's the deal... The AES version of this is relatively simple....

A few extra chips... a new pcb... same firmware...

BUT... I want to see RAZ'S report before you fucks start talking about an AES version... so plz chill the fuck out with that...

xROTx

cyd

New Challenger
I read over the thread ... didn't see any mention so, I'll ask. Are the "Link-Up" communications lines present? I noticed the edge connector at the top of the pcb...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I was curious about that as well, unless those top edge connectors were used for something else during development.

cyd

New Challenger
(Speculation) probably for reprogramming the fpga (/speculation) But, a guy can hope :) New system link games? Yes please!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
This is really cool... well done to NeoSD for getting this made.

Looking forward to hearing Raz's view on it later this week... :)

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
OK Lads... A quick update... the device is on it's way to Raz... he will roadtest the shit out of this.. SO PLEASE WAIT!

I have been asked about teh AES version... here's the deal... The AES version of this is relatively simple....

A few extra chips... a new pcb... same firmware...

BUT... I want to see RAZ'S report before you fucks start talking about an AES version... so plz chill the fuck out with that...

xROTx

Am guessing you buys are enjoying the positive attention then LOL

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Am guessing you buys are enjoying the positive attention then LOL

I am not here to argue with you...

The issue is the site has been looking at such a project for years... hence, I am keeping an eye on the thread...

xROTx

PS. Also.. snarky comments like that will defo get you noticed...

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
So from what we know so far and until Raz has had a chance to to review... why is this device potentially better than the DS device..?

Assuming load times are similar, which tbh doesn't bother me... what to the user is a compelling reason to buy this over DS. From what I understand both will load the last loaded game on boot (like the existing CPS2 multi cart I have form DS).

The menu on the SD is functional and at the moment I suppose it is unknown how the DS device will work... will it be another LCD operated menu which tbh sucks, but again if you are not switching games that often is that really a problem.

The DS device loads ROMs from SD card as well.. and therefore does that have the potential to save high scores/soft dips also..?

The DS stores 4 games into memory so each can be switched to instantly like a multi slot board... as Raz raised earlier can the SD device be setup to do that..?

Is the game support likely to be different on these two devices.. I appreciate that both do not support NG: Dev games, which is a good thing, but can both run any unlicensed or new homebrew game or perhaps a specific hacked ROM. Or is one fixed to run only a specific ROM list..?

With NeoSD, will it be technically possible to purchase legit ROMs from NG:Dev to run? So instead of buying the game for 500 Euro (or whatever they sell for), you'd buy the ROM at an acceptable price (for example 50 Euro) and run it on NeoSD. Assuming NG:Dev want to do that of course...

tcdev

NEST Puppet
(Speculation) probably for reprogramming the fpga (/speculation)
I would agree, I can't see any other connector for getting firmware into the ARM and/or FPGA on there during development.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Is the game support likely to be different on these two devices.. I appreciate that both do not support NG: Dev games, which is a good thing, but can both run any unlicensed or new homebrew game or perhaps a specific hacked ROM. Or is one fixed to run only a specific ROM list..?
[PURE_SPECULATION]
Because there are multiple banking schemes and protection schemes (potentially incompatible and conflicting between games), the FPGA needs to know which cartridge hardware to emulate when you load a game. There would have to be, in effect, a 'database' of supported games stored - presumably in the ARM - that recognises which game you've selected and activates the appropriate logic in the FPGA, or possibly even loads a complete new FPGA image. Not too dissimilar to the various drivers that comprise MAME's Neo Geo support. So support would, I believe, be limited to the "known & supported" commercial titles at this time. This is (also) how NGDEV titles remain unsupported and all-but-impossible to hack by a 3rd party to add support.

Note that it should be simple for neosd to release new firmware in the future to add support for new games should that become necessary, likely via SD card.

Now because not every game's cartridge hardware is unique in this respect, it is likely that one (FPGA) configuration is able to support multiple games. The simplest example is no custom banking and no protection which should also allow (most?) homebrew games to be supported. So either the firmware defaults to the simplest configuration for unknown games, or the homebrew developer needs to masquerade as another, compatible, title as one does when developing under MAME for example. The latter case is by no means convenient, but at least gets you up-and-running and I don't see any reason why neosd wouldn't add 'proper' support for homebrew titles if there isn't any already.
[/PURE_SPECULATION]

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I want to make it very clear I will not be comparing in any way to what darksoft is planning in the review and playing one off the other and scoring points for each.

The review will be about the neoSD only given there is no reviewable product from darksoft I can compare against, all I have are quotes from ds on how he said it will work. It will be up to the readers to decide if its better than anything darksoft is potentially offering in the future. They will need to ask him directly if the review opens up queries and questions about if his device supports the same features as the neoSD, things that may be dealbreakers if it does not.

My opinion about which is better will not be part of the review. It will be up to potential buyers to choose which they want to invest in if they are in a position where they can only buy one or the other. All my review can do is tell you all about the neoSD. Is it really real? Can it do the things claimed and shown in the videos? What is great about it, its pros and cons, and areas it could be improoved etc.

My plan currently is to make many smaller posts during the review process so you can ask questions as I go along if needed, maybe I can test some things you request etc. Once I am done I will condence everything into one post which will be the overall review that can be used for reference.

I am hoping I can go through the SDcard setup process (using the conversion tool etc) before I receive the device so I can get straight onto testing the neoSD as soon as I receive it.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
So from what we know so far and until Raz has had a chance to to review... why is this device potentially better than the DS device..?

There is no device from ds yet, so can only base on comments ds has said in relation to his device.

As tcdev correctly points out (in his pure speculation), there are protection systems and differences between neogeo games (espicially the later games) and you cannot simply have them all enabled all of the time. There are a few different ways you can handle that. I would say the way both devices go about this will ultimatly decide which is the best. The device that handles these things in the same way as an original cart (passes the unibios CRC32 check showing same CRC32 as original games for example) will ultimately be top dog. In the event that both use the same method to handle these things it will then come down to other things like, quickswapable games, loading times and usability etc.

Last edited: