Spring / Summer Projects Thread (non-game related)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
2 months!?!
Well the new one looks quite nice. what type of driveway are you planning?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I’ve been slowly taking down a privacy fence that came with my house. It was an eyesore. Previous owner built it out of interior wallboard. Half the boards were extremely warped and rotting. That was only after being up after two years. I plan to take down the back deck he attached to the house with 5 inch deck screws instead of bolts.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Yep. If you're staying use concrete. If you're moving in the next 10 years, use asphalt. It'll last that long before any major cracks develop and it affects appeal.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
y0nuYZx.jpg

Just finished up the fencing tonight. Still need to do the final twists on the t-posts, trim off the corners and braces. Tomorrow I need to side and roof the shelter. We're getting the 3 alpacas Saturday morning...

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:D
still need to finish up some wiring, then have to sort out an inline, or impeller fan for heat extraction, the greenery box and HPS bulb demands it. :(
using an older setup, just the fan itself is worn and rattling like fuck.
it's the transfer part that's the hard part....ripping off floor panels and shit. :D
(no pictures, FOOK THAT!)
using a 250vAC variable resistor/dial for the extractor fan, 120watt max load. :D

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Just finished up the fencing tonight. Still need to do the final twists on the t-posts, trim off the corners and braces. Tomorrow I need to side and roof the shelter. We're getting the 3 alpacas Saturday morning...

very interested to see how this goes. We've looked into it - it's a pricey thing and as you seem to already know, they say best results means have a minimum of 3 as they are social.

Are you selling fur?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Yes, more than likely will sell the fiber. I'm not sure how much it cost to process the fiber but I know a ball of their fiber to knit with is like $80. Will find out how the ROI will turn out.

Our neighbor has a huge Paca farm. This is where we leased one for my son for 4-H "2nd place Showmanship Ribbon, not bad for a 1st year". One of his club leaders knew a couple who were moving and needed to off load their large animals. We are getting the alpacas for very cheap. The farm said we can get ours sheared over there next spring with theirs.

Another item off them to sell is their manure, it's little goat pellets. I have seen people mix the pellets with water to make a "tea" and run through their sprayers on gardens or just put the pellets directly on the area. Unlike horse manure which you have to let it "mature" or else it will burn the soil kind of like chicken manure but theirs has too much nitrogen.

The 2 boys are gelded, so no breed with them.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
New garage. My old one is from 1940 and was ready for the bone yard.

Took them 2 months to demolish the old garage and put up the new one, but it's finally done:

https://imgur.com/a/CjhpaWT

Next on deck in a few years: solar paneling on the garage. (If the city allows it).

They'll never find the bodies now.

Great work!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
They'll never find the bodies now.

Great work!

:lolz:

Edit: Somewhat on topic, got some of the guitar amp smell off by baking it in the sun. I'll repeat the process tonight and maybe tomorrow, then go with baking soda, possibly white vinegar.

Not an expansive or intensely laborious project, but learning to play guitar will be!

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
This summer my project has been building new deck for the house. Old decking was over 20 years old and the weather conditions here (temperature from -30C to +30C, sun, snow, water) made it look like shit. The project was actually started already 2 years ago when we added stoning and lights to the backyard and same time added ground frost insulation, gravel etc stuff around the old deck to enable extension.

It all started 15th of July and this is how old decking looked like then...

IMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpg

Started to take old deck apart, foundations were shit...I know I had lot more work to do than I first thought.

IMG_4177.jpg

Also stuff was found under the old deck

IMG_4180.jpg

While waiting for the materials for then new deck to arrive, I used the stuff from old to build firewood shelter.

IMG_4184.jpg

Continue in next post....

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Week later the materials for the new deck arrived. Pressure-treated wood for the frame and UPM Profi Deck 150 composite "wood" for the actual deck. Composite material, especially ones working well here up north are expensive but I decided that I don't want to clean and oil the deck every spring, so composite it was...

IMG_4188.jpg

First I did shovel work and made good base for the frame. All that digging and carrying gravel...Then I started to first build the main part of the framing

IMG_4196.jpg

and adding subframes
IMG_4208.jpg

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Then the fun part, the actual deck

IMG_4211.jpg

Adding stairs

IMG_4221.jpg

...finally done

IMG_4244.jpg

and today I could enjoy coffee there

IMG_0244.jpg

Wife is happy now so I guess I should be too :D

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
NIce house & good job on the deck!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Good work miisalo! I laid decking out the back of my house a couple of years ago - satisfying and surprisingly quick once the boards start going down, all the works in the base and making it level.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
all the works in the base and making it level.

Yeah, decking was done in two days after the base and frame was done and I could have done that in 1 day if it hadn't been +30C heat here, I can't stand heat and could only work 20-30 minutes at time.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
C89zdu4.jpg

2 of the 3 in this picture. Jack the draft is photobombing. The black alpaca is being stubborn.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Those are awesome! I imagine kids are loving them. Thanks for posting that pic.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
8eAMsxR.jpg

My wife got a pic of all 3.

rZwMJiZ.jpg

Here's 27 tons of gravel to help with working on the horse's stall area, good times.

The pacas are easy enuf to work with, so far the keep their distance but are curious critters.
We just built them a shelter to them keep out of the sun, working on getting electric to it so we can put a fan in there. They are more winter animals but the spring shearing helps in the summer.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
You should change your name to Neoalpaca...Those are so cute & i never heard of these animals before. I want some.