Japan trip, what should I look out for?

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
If you want the best deals you need to go deep into Japan & out of the tourist areas... I purchased a "Japan Rail Pass" and traveled 2 hours each way to each Hard Off. You cant beat a boxed Sega Saturn for $25......

Our itinerary is already pretty cramped so I don't think we'll have the luxury to be roaming the countryside looking for hard-offs, but if you could recommend just one to visit for someone mostly into older games and stuff like that supergun which one would it be?

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
and that`s the big problem for many tourists\buyers.

they can`t afford roaming the barren wastelands outside of Tokyo or Osaka in order to hunt down Hard Offs hoping to find a good deal there.

either they`re on a tight schedule or just don`t know how to get there.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I was at Super Potato in Osaka couple days ago, this is what it looked like.

IMG_20160331_174131.jpg

I didn't go there to hunt games, but if you're looking for anything AES decent outside FF,KOF,AoF, and SS you'll probably be disappointed.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Mandarake has a better lineup but people should expect to get assraped without any lube :lolz:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Sudo make sure to pick up a Carrier Air Wing pcb while you're there :lolz:

ps, It'll be called US Navy ;)

have fun man, I'd ask you to bring me something but I have just about everything I want these days. Safe travels brother.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Sudo make sure to pick up a Carrier Air Wing pcb while you're there :lolz:

ps, It'll be called US Navy ;)

have fun man, I'd ask you to bring me something but I have just about everything I want these days. Safe travels brother.

Hahaha oh man the memory, I do need to do that. If you think of anything you want me to look out for just let me know man,I would be more than happy too.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I was in Japan 18 months ago visiting my girlfriend who was living in Osaka at the time. Den Den/Electric town there had about 3 stores filled full of retro gaming goodies, I was in some kind of heaven. Looking back at my photos I wish I bought more because the prices were insanely cheap compared to now :(

Here a few of the photos to get an idea:

DSC03194.jpgDSC03183.jpgDSC03195.jpgDSC03201.jpg

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
a late post but the 100yen is at 93 cents to our dollar and by next month it'll be around $1.05 so you might wanna pick up something before this happens.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yeah it's a shame, about 9 months ago I could withdraw 10000 yen for around $83. Even still there wasn't much worth buying.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Japan is on my to-do list in the next few years. I definitely appreciate the culture and would love to experience it first hand. Have fun and enjoy it!!:buttrock:

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Yeah it's a shame, about 9 months ago I could withdraw 10000 yen for around $83. Even still there wasn't much worth buying.

Try 3 months ago! It was at 83 cents then and it's gonna be a while til we get that again. We're so selfish hoping that the yen is weaker just so we could buy more games..

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
very informative posts and great pics looking to visit japan sometime in the next few years with the wife. doubt we will shop after reading this well maybe browse a bit but i agree we want to go for the people food and sight seeing good luck have fun

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
IMG_20150812_145210142.jpg

This was my haul from last August. First time trip to Japan as well, went in pretty blind, but my advise is if you're looking to find rare/obscure games you are gonna be pretty out of luck as everyone else mentioned in the thread, but if you keep your eyes open you might find something decent enough. I went to everywhere I could in Akihabara, but I would definitely say the best things I honestly found at Book-off. Mandarake, super potato, friends, etc, were all nice, but most of the stuff was pretty pricey, even the common stuff.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I love that Invader bag from Hey. I'll probably grab a few more on my next trip.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just got back from Japan last weekend and can confirm Osaka (Den Den Town) and Akihabara are all pretty much on par with online pricing or overpriced. Still some deals to be had if u look hard enough - I found Dracula X: Rondo Of Blood for PC Engine for ¥7500 at Mandarake in Akihabara, plus a cheap boxed Castlevania IV and Cotton 100% for SFC. Like others said - enjoy the culture, food, people, play some UFO catcers, and hit up the HEY arcade...

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Their UFO Catchers are amazing...especially if you're great at standard claw machines. You can really get some awesome stuff in those.
Book-Off is where I found my best deals, but that was way back in 2010.

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Honestly the best gaming related item to get is a supergun. Like one of the big ones (sega boardmaster) save on shipping.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
fuck some willing nip pussy
fuck them right in it boi

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
It's from this movie called Outrage, it's got a young, Evil Shigeru Miyamoto in it

BpNEoku.png