AES Not Working

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
Got a US AES system that's not working. I get this on the TV:

y0aHQzk.jpg

I have no idea what problems to look for. Anyone have an idea what could be going on?

Thanks

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
My system is an early US one, Serial 16xxx so 5V if I remember correctly.Thanks
Just look at what's on the sticker above the SN. If it says "PRO-POW" you need the 5V (+ outside) PSU.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Another Striker
Can you confirm the model of the unit and what psu you are using? could be pallete ram error

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What does it look like with a game inserted and when was the last time you cleaned the slots/games?

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
Palette RAM error?
First look for bad traces.
Then could be a dead RAM or another IC (latches, etc.).

I don't know much about circuit boards and this kind of stuff. Are traces the connections with the tan/blue cylinders on them? IC?
Can you confirm the model of the unit and what psu you are using? could be pallete ram error

Model No. NEO-AEC
Rating: 8w

I'm using a 3rd party power supply, 5v 3a with negative polarity.
What does it look like with a game inserted and when was the last time you cleaned the slots/games?
I think it did the same thing, maybe with a slightly different image, but I'll check again when I get home later. When it wasn't working I looked up and found the diagnostic test to try with no cartridge and that's what the picture is from.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Another Striker
Hi if it states on the sticker under the neo "use pro-pow ac adapter only" 5v 3A should be correct psu
As James had said what does it do with the cart installed after you tried cleaning the cart slot and cart contacts?

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I don't know much about circuit boards and this kind of stuff. Are traces the connections with the tan/blue cylinders on them? IC?
They are copper tracks making connections between ICs and all others components (below is just an example, nothing to do with the Neo).
SsUjX.jpg

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
As James had said what does it do with the cart installed after you tried cleaning the cart slot and cart contacts?

Here is what it shows with carts inserted. I cleaned the contacts on the system and cartridge before putting them in:
y0aHQzk.jpg

J0mKoRx.jpg

Hi if it states on the sticker under the neo "use pro-pow ac adapter only" 5v 3A should be correct psu
Yeah it says "Use pro-pow ac adapter only". I did some reading when I couldn't find my original AC adapter to make sure it was right, and I think I have the right PSU.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It looks like one or two broken traces to/from the Neo-G0 chip, I'm not sure which chip that is in the 1st gen chipset. I'm guessing either the PRO-B0 or PRO-C0 or an inline 245 somewhere.

Check for broken traces on the board or install a diagnostic bios.

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
It looks like one or two broken traces to/from the Neo-G0 chip, I'm not sure which chip that is in the 1st gen chipset. I'm guessing either the PRO-B0 or PRO-C0 or an inline 245 somewhere.

Check for broken traces on the board or install a diagnostic bios.

Thank you, I'll look at the traces around those chips.

I'm reading about the diagnostic bios now, I haven't done any type of modding like that before.