How to repair turning nob on MVS to AES converter.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I JUST got home from a month long trip to see relatives and I had my converter waiting for me at my home. I took it out of the box and attached my mvs cart to the converter and placed it in my AES. The video was messed up so I attempted to adjust the video by twisting the nob. While I was successful at adjusting the picture (thank God), the nob fell off!
I thought these were well made for the price they ask for, not cheap where an important part falls on within the first 5 minutes of being out of the box.
Is this repairable? And if possible, how do I do it?

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 64

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Looks like just the plastic cover came off. Use a non-conductive tool to tune it if needed. Unless some prongs are broke, perhaps it snaps back in?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
should be a vertical 500ohm pot, maybe 1/16th watt if you want to swap it out.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
should be a vertical 500ohm pot, maybe 1/16th watt if you want to swap it out.

I just looked up what a 500ohm pot is, I'm assuming that's the nob itself. What do you mean by 1/16th watt (I'm assuming that's the voltage) and how would I go about swapping it out?
Thank you for the quick reply.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You would need to desolder the old one and swap in the new one. Of course you will need to open it up.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
You would need to desolder the old one and swap in the new one. Of course you will need to open it up.
I dont have any soldering tools in my home and I'm REALLY not comfortable taking apart something that cost me $250 with no experience on how to do it.
I have been thinking recently how to solder. Would this be an easy task to accomplish for a beginner that studies beforehand?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I dont have any soldering tools in my home and I'm REALLY not comfortable taking apart something that cost me $250 with no experience on how to do it.
I have been thinking recently how to solder. Would this be an easy task to accomplish for a beginner that studies beforehand?

No.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well if that's the case, can you inform me of exactly which part I need to buy to have a local soldering professional replace the part with?

I wouldn't know unless I saw the part in front of me. If he's a professional he can easily get the part you need.