Is it possible to dipswitch a 161-in-1?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I was reading through an old thread here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=266472

It looked like they were going somewhere but then the thread died.

I was wondering what those Cable-1 and Cable-2 were for and if there was a way to bypass the initial menu.

From what I understand, the main menu is just the starting ROM of the 161-in-1 and then, depending on the game chosen, it would map the memory to the start of the desired ROM and boot it.
If this is anything like the 138-in-1 it's just setting a binary code telling the Neo Geo which game to start and we might override it with a dipswitch.

Am I talking nonsense?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
They are probably jtag ports to program the logic chips.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've never seen that thread until now. Nothing new revealed, although there is reference to a possibly related datasheet which might be the same family as the Fujitsu MSP55LV100S NVPROM chips used.

The 120 in 1 uses an MCU (8051 based) to pass address decoding to the CPLDs - since the 138 in 1 uses the same board you might be able to convert the 120 in 1 to use DIP switches but I've not checked what the difference is between the 120 and 138 boards (one is marked 138 in 1, even though its a 120 in 1). The 138 in 1 obviously uses a really basic 8 bit bus to select the game, if the Fujitsu chips could be reprogrammed it would be the easiest to hack imo. The 161 in 1 doesn't have the MCU, it looks like it just handles the address decoding through the default P1 menu.

In reply to shadowkn55 - yes, they are JTAG ports for the CPLDs. In any case, if we could program the MSP55LV100S we could change the games completely, but I imagine that being a pain in the a*** to do - ie. removing, programming, refitting each chip... I've not checked that datasheet yet but I assume there's no magical serial programming or anything with these NVPROM chips.

EDIT: something interesting about that forum - if you view using a PC it seems like all the text is blanked out. View on a phone and it works... Must be some protection to stop browsers and unregistered people reading their posts.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You need to answer a survey first if you're not logged in. Otherwise, it will appear wash out.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Having thought about the 120 in 1 the last few days I am thinking the MCU (8051) is responsible for holding difficulty settings normally read from backup RAM soft dips. Since the settings are stored on the cart using dip switches 4 and 5.

You need to answer a survey first if you're not logged in. Otherwise, it will appear wash out.
Thanks =)

Last edited: