Game boy Ballers post here

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Anyone gotten a hold of the IPS DMG screens?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Got the Midwest Embedded GBC TFT screen. ALMOST drop-in, because you have to modify the housing the accommodate the screen and the PCB. The optional brightness control was also pretty tricky, but if youre patient and know how to use a soldering iron you can get through it.

pFJvb2t.jpg

The screen itself is smaller than stock, so I bought a glass cover specifically made for this, so I wouldnt see the borders on the screen. After a few minutes playing, you barely notice how much smaller the new one is.

I cant remember if I posted this already, but a couple of months prior, i installed a backlight in my GB Pocket. Because the screen was already sharper that the OG GB, the bivert mod really makes it pop. Pictures cant do this justice, you have to see it, its sharp as a motherfucker.

4Rip8CP.jpg

This one was a bitch. The bivert chip for the GBP is smaller, but its easier (i guess...??) to install, because you dont need wires, nor do you have to figure out where the best place to put the chip when you close up the housing. This time, I had to cut 2 traces, lift 2 pins, and solder 3 small points - it makes the connections and keeps the chip in place when the solder cools.

Because the GBP uses AAA's, you need to install a voltage regulator. This cuts down on the battery consumption.

A few takeaways:

On the GBC and the GBP, the backlight/TFT in conjuntion with an Everdrive GB MURDERS batteries - I was looking at an hour for both before the batteries were done.

On the other side of that, if you use legit carts, or even those chinaman bootleg "x-in-1 carts", your battery life will be significantly extended.

The odd thing is, with the GBC, if I flash a GB game to the ED, the batteries last longer than if I had flashed a GBC-specific game. I can't explain it.

I have an EZ Flash Jr. on the way, which supposedly is made for GBs that are backlit and modified, so I'm hoping that will let me play a little longer.

Next I want to do a full GBA mod - new shell, sound amp, better speaker, rechargable battery, wired to the nines.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
hell yeah, that new screen looks great on the color. I remember reading that this finally got figured out. Just haven't researched enough to actually make one. Nice man.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Nice GBP.

For a little while now I’ve interested in how a backlight-bivert mod + Everdrive would have with a SEPIC board:
https://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/sepic-board

this product is especially useful with backlight and frontlight kits as a means to better regulate power usage within the console. it gives an output of 4.29V @ 50mA; the components have been chosen to compliment our frontlight and backlight products. hookup is relatively easy: connect the console's switched battery power supply to Vin and you get a predictable Vout for your frontlight and backlight needs.

If you are looking to optimize the power usage within your console, this kit will greatly assist towards that goal.

Sounds promising, I’ll need to take the plunge on this.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Damn that looks nice. I want one but I was holding off to just get an Analogue pocket.

ChopstickSamurai

Damn that looks nice. I want one but I was holding off to just get an Analogue pocket.

The Pocket does look sweet, but there is something about the form factor of the OG GB that takes me back. Hopefully the Pocket will be out this year despite the current global nonsense.

This Game Boy’s screen was yellowed really bad and missing tons of lines. So it’s nice to make it functional again.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I picked one of these up finally from Console5 and installed it over the weekend. It’s a bit cheaper there and comes with a 3D printed mounting bracket. It really looks incredible and is well worth it IMO.

b4202245e19180b6b1735cbc14e994e0.jpg

66f915e7d6f613927f67eddb14676950.jpg

083482dfb330d93842201fd1058de731.jpg

Hows the battery life with those IPS screens?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Have really wanted to get a new case and screen for my GBA SP.

I'm torn what should I go for?
Clear, grey transparent , NES or Famicom?
It's a tossup between clear and grey clear they both look sharp.
I like the NES classic look better but the system is really more closely related to a SNES.
THe Famicom graphics look kinda squished but I do like the looks of the different colored buttons

Last edited:

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Have really wanted to get a new case and screen for my GBA SP.

I'm torn what should I go for?
Clear, grey transparent , NES or Famicom?
It's a tossup between clear and grey clear they both look sharp.
I like the NES classic look better but the system is really more closely related to a SNES.
THe Famicom graphics look kinda squished but I do like the looks of the different colored buttons

SP shells look like a nightmare to replace.

All the aftermarket shells are pretty much the same - there's something "off" about all of them.

I got one for my OG GBA, and it does the job, but it doesnt fit right. If you tighten the 2 screws on either side of the L button, it sticks. They give you a set of screws and replacement buttons, but they have that cheap feel.

Clear shells look sexy, tho.

ChopstickSamurai

So far so good, but I haven’t spent enough time with it to get a good sense yet. Still on the same Eneloops after a day tho.

I’ve been playing for about an hour every day this week and the Eneloops are still holding strong. So I’m confident with saying it’s pretty good on the batteries.

Been playing the hell out of Tobu Tobu Girl lately as I got my Kickstarter awards awhile back. I found it pretty frustrating at first but now I’m properly addicted. Anyone else try this one out?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V2-IPS-GBA...oy-Advance-SP-Pre-cut-Shell-Case/184107831403

I went with the NES case.
Wanted the clear one but I was too lazy to keep searching after I found this set.
I got this it in the mail (fast shipping turnaround from China) and installed it today.
Difference - Night & Day.
I am extremely happy with this.
Not only is it brighter and clearer it seems to be a little bit larger as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzy7QMSib40&t=
I followed this install, not exact same model but close.
My seller trims down the case and everything fit perfect.

I would suggest following most peoples advice on just getting new hinges, or don't take off the end caps. I couldn't get them back on, doesn't quite open and close perfect anymore.

Also maybe you don't need that wire installed, the default setting seems to be perfect. The wire that comes with it is too long and I had to take it apart and re situate it a dozen times because that speaker needs to fit in perfect in order to work.

Battery has visible bloating, should prob get a replacement or two. Seems to still work ok though.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I found my old broken GB a few days ago and I managed to fix it. Had to resolder both the battery and screen connectors (also gave it a much needed cleaning). It's now working perfectly again. The thought of installing a more modern screen crossed my mind for a bit, but I don't think it would really be worth it. I may as well just get a GBC instead.

uuxvpnG.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

I liked my IPS modded Gameboy so much that I picked up a kit for the GBC. It needed quite a bit more trimming to the shell and PCB, but was easier than I anticipated. It looks even better in person.

Now we just need an IPS option for the NGPC.

765e55272658745d61267e17b422607c.jpg

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I liked my IPS modded Gameboy so much that I picked up a kit for the GBC. It needed quite a bit more trimming to the shell and PCB, but was easier than I anticipated. It looks even better in person.

Now we just need an IPS option for the NGPC.

765e55272658745d61267e17b422607c.jpg

Magical Chase on GBC is fantastic. Just got the 1CC on it last month.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I have a japanese clear gameboy color with sound issues. I want to fully recap it to hopefully fix that, add IPS kit, and also i picked a real glass Game Boy Horror screen cover replica from Luigi’s mansion. (The one from the game was also the japan-only clear GBC, so it’ll be an exact replica!)

ChopstickSamurai

I also picked up a IPS screen for the Pocket as well and got around to installing it tonight. I was apprehensive since you need to solder the tiny ass wires for power and touch control. But somehow I managed to get through it without killing my Gameboy. Go me.

19f9f0f1016638b7792a656fd856fac9.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I also picked up a IPS screen for the Pocket as well and got around to installing it tonight. I was apprehensive since you need to solder the tiny ass wires for power and touch control. But somehow I managed to get through it without killing my Gameboy. Go me.

19f9f0f1016638b7792a656fd856fac9.jpg

Where'd you get the screen from? handheldlegend? funnyplaying? I want to grab a fullsize IPS like this but I know there is another one out there slightly off (earlier version)

ChopstickSamurai

Where'd you get the screen from? handheldlegend? funnyplaying? I want to grab a fullsize IPS like this but I know there is another one out there slightly off (earlier version)

I got mine from funnyplaying. Apparently they are shipping out the corrected version now. Even with the pandemic it only took two weeks to receive my order from China. I expected to wait much longer for it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I got mine from funnyplaying. Apparently they are shipping out the corrected version now. Even with the pandemic it only took two weeks to receive my order from China. I expected to wait much longer for it.

awesome - I think I might jump on this, it looks great