Latest SW EP VII news...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Did a search for the old thread...possibly I'm retarded but I couldn't find it.

So...

My god...the feels...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
fake. it will never be the same again. too much effort, too much confidence... too large a budget.

but, I hope for the best, as well.

pretty much this exactly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Honestly, I disagree.

I don't buy the "too big to be good" concept...for its time, Return of the Jedi was one big production, big budget film...and it was good.

Let me make it clear that I'm not chasing the dragon here...I'd be happy with "as good as". I was very pleased with JJ's Star trek reboots...if these new SW films are on that level, I will be more than pleased.

Episode I-III were just plain terrible. This opinion has nothing to do with age, or nostalgia...they were just plain bad films in nearly every way. They weren't even close to the original films and this is why it was such an overall disappointment.

Good or bad, I respect the amount of detail and respect going into this film...how can you not? Even if the content is mediocre, I still appreciate the effort to do it which is already more than the combined effort that went into Episodes I-III.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Honestly, I disagree.

I don't buy the "too big to be good" concept...for its time, Return of the Jedi was one big production, big budget film...and it was good.

Dude, it really wasn't all that great. You're looking through rose colored glasses. It's easily the worst of the first three. Teddy Bears? Is that supposed to be a joke?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Dude, it really wasn't all that great. You're looking through rose colored glasses. It's easily the worst of the first three. Teddy Bears? Is that supposed to be a joke?

Funny enough...I do often choose my words carefully. I said VI was "good" and I mean that. Not "great", not "superb" and definitely not a "masterpiece"...just "good". I really don't consider any SW film to be "great", this is why I-III was such a let down for me, none of them could even come close to getting the mediocre title of "good" in my mind. No, they were shit.Figuring the mass amount of source material Lucas had to run with, royally fucking up I-III really took some doing...as if he was intentionally trying to burn it all down. His abominations of the 1990s "special Editions" of IV-VI only made things worse...

To me, a good film is one that I can enjoy watching. I don't feel like I wasted my life watching it, I was entertained and in the end...feel it is...well..."good".

*EDIT*
Went back and read this post...it sounds a bit dick-ish. I didn't mean for it to be. While I do try to choose my words carefully...I cannot expect you to know the meaning of my own made up definitions. You're definition of good is probably far different than mine. In the end, I'm guess we both have the same views of the films...

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I appreciate your apology/explanation edit. Not necessary. I didn't take it harshly at all. I see empire as a great movie, by your definition of the word. Really like that one a lot.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I appreciate your apology/explanation edit. Not necessary. I didn't take it harshly at all. I see empire as a great movie, by your definition of the word. Really like that one a lot.

Empire was the best.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
More stupid bullshit that isn't newsworthy but gets reported anyway.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I thought Epis. III was decent enough. *Dodges rotten fruit*

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Tracy Morgan looks really young in this trailer...this must have been filmed quite some time ago.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL

The SJWs fall for another troll.

As for the new tralier...

...I can't believe I'm saying this.

It looked like shit. It made me want to see the movie less than I did before.

I kind of feel the same way...not sure how to take things now.

On thing that has always been constant in SW is the "main" SW cast. Luke, Leah, Han, Yoda, Anakin/Darth Vader, the Emperor, Obi Wan, etc...all the same characters at one point of another.

This seems like all of that is about to go away and be replaced with those two kids...that new trailer kind of painted that picture. When you hear Han Solo talking about the Jedi being "yes, that really happened" it pretty much told us that this isn't the continuing saga of Luke and the new Jedi order...this is a completely different timeline where the jedi order is all but forgotten and the old characters will basically be doing some hand off to these new actors.

I guess I'll have to trust in the makers for now and hope that they know better than I do...if they spin the saga off in some random direction with completely new characters, there's a good chance none of us will like these new characters and land up falling out of love with the franchise.

Who knows.

In the end, I'll be seeing it in the theater...this is for sure. I guess I'll reserve my judgement until I see the finished product.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I thought Epis. III was decent enough. *Dodges rotten fruit*

I liked it too, although it fell below the original trilogy. I think part of it was that I read the novelization before actually watching the movie, and it was quite good. A book doesn't suffer from horrible direction and CG.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
For what I'm about to say, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I seem to remember, back in the mid-1990's, that authors were expanding the Star Wars universe via Han and Leia's children.

No offense, Smoke, but, how can you not have seen this coming?

Jon

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I get your reservations Smoke, but what are the alternatives? Star Wars centering around the original characters and actors wouldn't really work due to their age, and the fandom would go nuts if they were recast with younger actors. I think they picked the best option with the original actors being there but not the central focus of the story.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For what I'm about to say, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I seem to remember, back in the mid-1990's, that authors were expanding the Star Wars universe via Han and Leia's children.

No offense, Smoke, but, how can you not have seen this coming?

Jon

Oh, I did from the very beginning...the newest trailer just confirmed more of that feeling.

I get your reservations Smoke, but what are the alternatives? Star Wars centering around the original characters and actors wouldn't really work due to their age, and the fandom would go nuts if they were recast with younger actors. I think they picked the best option with the original actors being there but not the central focus of the story.

I agree...the time to start making Ep. VII-IX with the OG cast would have been the 90's...not 2014.

I said that I don't know how to take things...and I really mean that. I don't feel bad about this, nor do I feel good. I still feel good that Lucas is out of it, this is the one big thing that gives me hope.

At this point I'm going to put some faith in not only Abrams, but also Disney. This is a cash cow...I doubt they'll knowingly fuck it up. VII will load up the seats...but if it is terrible, VIII and IX won't. Adjusted for inflation, the ticket sales for Ep I were $707M...EP II was $433M, EP III was $494M. Give or take, that's a quarter of a billion plop/film because EP I was so shitty. If Ep VII is shit, they'd see that same thing. Where Lucas didn't give a shit...Disney does.

EDIT...

Just in case you were wondering...I looked this up. Adjusted for inflation, this is how the films came out ticket wise:

Ep IV- $1.190B
Ep V- $675M
Ep VI- $675M

EP I- $707M
EP II- $433M
Ep III- $494M

Pretty much paints the picture of how shitty EP I-III really were.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On another note, Mark Hamill is pretty rad, I would absolutely watch a movie that centered on him cutting loose on his acting like he does on his voiceover work.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
On another note, Mark Hamill is pretty rad, I would absolutely watch a movie that centered on him cutting loose on his acting like he does on his voiceover work.

I do wonder how his role will play out. Of the entire OG cast...I really feel he is the only one that can carry on in the new films properly (which is ironic figuring her was a bad actor). Harrison Ford just doesn't seem to care anymore, Carrie Fisher is a nut-bag drunk...

I'm guessing the Luke is the robo-arm man touching R2 in that single scene 1:40 into the trailer...

In the end...young, old, black, white, male, female...I don't care who carries the torch as long as the story is good.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Wow.

It's the 6th sequel to a movie that came out almost 40 years ago.

I'm sure there's going to be something in this movie that's gonna rustle everyone's jimmies, like Jar-Jar and the "midichlorians", and the next 15 years are gonna be chock-full of neckbearded nerd rage over it until they make ANOTHER set of movies and the cycle starts all over again.

I like Star Wars, but I wish they didn't use the same fucking people from the old movies. The last Indy movie proved that Harrison Ford should NEVER reprise 20+ year old roles ever again. Carrie Fisher looks like fat old dogshit. Mark Hamill should stick with voice-overs and Simpsons cameos because hes amazing at it.

Instead of kids buying the merchandise, grown manchildren are lining up IN DROVES to buy up all this SW-related shit, then bitching about how it "rapes their childhood." They should actually get raped.

The opening crawl should read:

400 years after the fall of The Empire...

Fuck you, fanboys.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I guess I'll have to trust in the makers for now and hope that they know better than I do...if they spin the saga off in some random direction with completely new characters, there's a good chance none of us will like these new characters and land up falling out of love with the franchise.

I don't think I could ever abandon Star Wars or like it any less as a franchise if the prequels didn't kill my affection for it.

The thing that disturbs me is how cynical this feels to me. Disney are the masters of marketing and they're filling these trailers with the familiar sights and sounds of the classic movies. TIE Fighters, X-Wings, the Millenium Falcon, Luke's theme, Han's theme, dudes that look like stormtroopers, guys in black with lightsabers. And yet, it all feels appropriated to me for the sake of getting us to already declare its greatness.

All the while, I'm asking how any of this ties to the six previous movies. This really isn't even 'Episode VII', but appears to be the start of a new story that just so happens to take place after Jedi. And I'm not sure what to make of that. Probably that I care a whole lot more than I should. But Star Wars has stayed with me longer than any other geek affection I have. It's reasonable to say it's shaped my inner nerd, which is a huge part of me, to more significant degree than anything else I like, even things I've grown to be more interested in such as Berserk, Gundam, or A Song of Ice and Fire.

So we'll see. Gonna see if I can score a couple of tickets for me and my wife this morning for an opening night thing.